• SnowJapan Admin

Hi

The spoilsports keep on messing about with the snow in the town and trying to get rid of it. mad.gif But will look out for some mountains of snow and try and take some pics \:\)

Apart from the photos on the Now page, check this out, it's a sidewalk (probably 3meters or so there)

snowsnowsnow.jpg

More great pics. The ride into town on the shink must be great.

Does anyone know how long will this snow last up in the highest areas? If there is 19 year record dumps in Yuzawa, there must be some ranges with tons. Will it last until June for some hiking, mountain huts and morning corn lines in left over patches? Like that place Toque and Montoya talk about, tateyama or something? Is that near yuzawa?

It's in Toyama/Nagano

And if Yuzawa has the most snow in 19 years then you can bet that the Tateyama area has a ton of snow. Probably be nice skiing into July up there.

The one picture with the red shed shows the mountain behind. Looks like it rained recently " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> Snow looks so gross after it rains.

Why Toque? Yuzawa and Tateyama are quite a distance apart, right? From what I heard on the news, this year was particularly heavy snowfall in Niigata more than Nagano (just to add to the fun in the Chuetsu region of course). Not trying to cause a problem, just curious \:\)

Take a look at the Yuzawa now page and you'll see that it has indeed rained \:\(

Not trying to cause problems my ass. I'll give you problems mad.gif mad.gif

:p ;\)

The Tateyama area is quite high. The Murodo plain is at 2500 metres with the peaks above being around 3000 metres. The altitude will make the snow last that much longer. There will be enough snow to last into the early summer months.

I have only seen pictures but the road going up to this area in a normal snow year looks pretty wild with the snow banks being 2-3 times the height of a big bus.

No snowblower can remove snow that high. The way they do it back home when they open the mountain pass roads for the summer is by layering and removing at a certain angle (not flat as on a regular road). Not sure how to express this very well. Anyway, you still need an old hand who knows where the road is under the snow.

Gassan and the alpine way are a must go for me this year. I can't wait to get up there. When do they decide when to open up?

Toque:

is this photo from a trip that you did or a snaffle from the web somewhere? If yours, then did you just book with one of the green-rinse brigade tours?