I think so, too. My biggest concern is if they're mislabeling food, what about what goes in it and if people might have allergies to it. Surely if they're just as stupid to lie about what it is, then they're dumb enough to lie about ingredients, too.

There is micey stuff going on even within the rules. You get eels raised in China, shipped over, thrown in a pen for a month or whatever, and sold for three times the price as "kokusan".

The point about allegies is a good one too and its probably naive to think of this as some cute Del Boy type scam. The other obvious one will be relabelling of produce from Fukushima. I've seen a Youtube video of a public meeting where a farmer from the area said he was selling food he wouldn't eat himself.

Fibbing on one kind of prawn for a lesser quality one in a paste is ...meh....cunning... But, subbing in something completely different is pretty devious. Farmers like the one Mr Wiggles mentioned should suffer the same fate as the Chinese dudes that were caught up in the milk scandal a few years back........a quick tap to the back of the head with a .38..

There is micey stuff going on even within the rules. You get eels raised in China, shipped over, thrown in a pen for a month or whatever, and sold for three times the price as "kokusan".

The point about allegies is a good one too and its probably naive to think of this as some cute Del Boy type scam. The other obvious one will be relabelling of produce from Fukushima. I've seen a Youtube video of a public meeting where a farmer from the area said he was selling food he wouldn't eat himself.

Were there any consequences for that farmer?

:angry:

This is the video I saw. Just to make sure, this video is related to the post in the sense of properly informing the consumer and food safety, but the farmer in question is not relabelling his food. It passes the guidelines set by the government. He just says he wouldn't eat it himself. Rather than being some con artist, the guy is clearly a victim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfaPhmFGvt8

Aside from whether the guidelines are strict enough, I think there is a pretty high chance of produce from Fukushima being relabelled or used without informing people in food served at hospitals, schools, old people's homes, prisons or wherever.

Good video Mr Wiggles. Right now those guys are passionate about the situation but in time like with all things they'll give in and just say F'it and go with the flow. Those people just need to pull the pin,, write it off and get the hell out of there. And all this talk of decontamination.....what a load of bullshit that is.....!!

Fibbing on one kind of prawn for a lesser quality one in a paste is ...meh....cunning... But, subbing in something completely different is pretty devious. Farmers like the one Mr Wiggles mentioned should suffer the same fate as the Chinese dudes that were caught up in the milk scandal a few years back........a quick tap to the back of the head with a .38..

That milk scandal affected thousands of infants. To this day, the Chinese milk industry is still to be avoided. Western milk powder arrives in China via HK through parallel traders causing a massive shortage in HK.

Apparently, Fujiya has been added to the list of companies mislabeling their products. The same company that was found to have mislabeled and used expired products in 2007. This place should be shut down for good. Won't be holding my breath for any chance though.