A good friend of mines from home who lives in Nagoya spent 3 times his monthly salary on one for his wife......madness in my opinion. Luckily my wife doesn't like jewelry etc so we didn't get one. Our wedding rings were not expensive either which was just as well, because I lost mines after a month

Don't think I'd be keen on a chick who went by those rules. Rings, bags, shoes, etc.

Tubby, did you lost that on that night out in Roppongi when you took it off? ;)

Our wedding rings were quite expensive other than that we just by rings for fun now and again if we see something we like as we did when were in Riga the other week we bought some baltic pair rings and an amber necklace.

We only occasionally wear our wedding rings anyway as we swap around which rings we wear if and when we wear tham that is.

My wife is also not crazy about jewellery which is great.

Not sure I think some people still do the % thing but nat sure in Japan

I just bought a nice ring that I could afford the the wedding ring just sits alongside (similar design)

The engagement ring I gave my wife was one handed down to me from my Grandmother. Just had to get it slightly resized and cleaned up. Cheap as chips!

Not sure I think some people still do the % thing but nat sure in Japan

The % thing is just frikking ridiculous.

I'm embarrassed for the people considering that just thinking about it.

What a pathetic 'guideline'.

If you're selling jewelry then it was a great reason. Akin to the "white day" silliness.

It was both our second time around for marriage so we dispensed with half of the goofy stuff and put those funds toward having a nice honeymoon.

Probably just common sense. Young people getting engaged aren't really making much of a wage yet and jewelry has never been cheap so I think buying something decent just fell into that percentage range.

OK....young dudes getting some semi-regular pussy will lose all sense of fiscal responsibility. So...a guideline to keep things rational perhaps... :sj-lol:

I used to be a wedding videographer here in Japan.... I've seen all kinds of silliness.

Originated with some sales campaign?

給料の3ケ月分というのは宝石やさんのキャンペーンで浸透したものです。

ダイヤを牛耳っている英国デビアス社の日本向け宣伝コピーです。

And very importantly, is it the monthly salary that finds it's way into wallet after taxes etc, or before taxes?

And what about bonuses.

Blimey, it's ever so complicated. I am going to have to study this.

Originated with some sales campaign?

給料の3ケ月分というのは宝石やさんのキャンペーンで浸透したものです。

ダイヤを牛耳っている英国デビアス社の日本向け宣伝コピーです。

Holy ShIt...three months?? I thought is was a percentage of ONE months salary...

I used to be a wedding videographer here in Japan.... I've seen all kinds of silliness.

Chriselle, did you ever see anything as silly as this?

Chihuahua-dance.gif

Or this?

ninja_cat.gif

• Like 1

Ah man... Laser shows, his and hers swings descending from the ceilings, smoke shows, famous singers crooning the couples, fireworks show once, lots of extravagance. Sometimes while shooting with my big camera I'd have to pull my eye out of the focus cup and get a good look at the festivities....all the while muttering to myself...Holy F...