I want a big and light suitcase

Can't believe how HEAVY some suitcases are.

They eat up a big chunk of the allowance.

So I'm into buying a new one.

I want it large.

I want it super light.

Anyone got any recommendations?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a good one, super light but sturdy, 4-casters so easy to move around (and not drag behind me to trip up people in crowded areas).

Picked it up in NY on sale for about 10,000 yen. Can't remember the brand now, but if I happen to go down to the storage space i'll check.

Big isn't always good for a rigid suitcase. My missus' one won't fit in the boot of some small cars, the Demio we hired last time in Okinawa for example.

I don't know...with the maximum allowable weight reduced so much these days even the lightest suitcases in the large size still have a ton of space in them at the weight limit. If I have heavy stuff I just use heavy duty cardboard boxes and pack them up tight. Only use them on the return leg though..

I have one that is big and light. Brand is "American Tourister". Not sure if available here, brought it in NZ. Very light for its size, and seems very sturdy. So far has surived everything we have done to it.

For my default airline, the baggage allowances are:

Stupid money class: 40kg

Company paying class: 30kg

Pleb, but pay extra 'cos stupid class: 25kg

Pleb, no class: 20kg

And overweight baggage, if they choose to enforce it ranges from $1 to $6 per kg.

Flights to the Americas with Air New Zealand, Qantas, Cathay Pacific and possibly other airlines, allow economy travellers up to 2 pieces of luggage at 23kg per piece as standard.

yanks do have funny rules whereas the rest of the world can have unlimited pieces of luggage if you can bare with the tare. So, within the rules, I can have 20 x 1kg packages as checked baggage

Its 23kg for economy and 35 for business with KLM and air france which was enough as my new big case with a fair bit of clothes both mine and my daughters only came to 19kg. We brought one more empty case plus my wife has another case half empty.

I think if you have one case for yourself then you should have enough weight allowance unless you bring loads of heavy things.

Well for me, the weight allowance is never enough.

I want to bring back as much as possible when I come back to Japan and so over over-stuff the suitcase. I'd do it whatever the limit was.

Its 23kg for economy and 35 for business with KLM and air france which was enough as my new big case with a fair bit of clothes both mine and my daughters only came to 19kg. We brought one more empty case plus my wife has another case half empty.

I'm pretty certain it's 30kg for business with KLM and they are not actually allowed to have a normal case over 30kg.

Strange how everyone seems to have a different story!!

Until oil price started going through the roof, most trans-Pacific airlines were pretty lax about bags.

They had weight limits, but didn't enforce them very strictly.

It's also possible that the per-bag limit has something to do with union contracts, and/or disability claims by baggage handlers.

KLM, clear as mud:

Free baggage allowance

Economy Class on intercontinental flights, and on European flights booked before 14 May 2013**

1 item of check-in baggage*, each max. 23 kg (50.5 lbs), max. 158 cm (62 inches) l + w + h

Business Class

2 items of check-in baggage, each max. 32 kg (70.5 lbs), max. 158 cm (62 inches) l + w + h

* You may bring 2 pieces of check-in baggage, each max. 23 kg (50.5 lbs), max. 158 cm (62 inches) l + w + h on KLM and AIR FRANCE flights to and from:

• Indian Ocean: Madagascar.
  • South America:

125]o Ecuador
125]o Brazil: if your journey starts in Brazil, you may bring 2 pieces of check-in baggage on your outbound and return flight (each piece may weigh up to 32 kg / 70.5 lbs.). If your trip does not start in Brazil, the regular baggage allowance applies.
  • Africa: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic Of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Mauretania, Mayotte, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome And Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
  • South West Pacific: New Caledonia.
  • Between the United States or Canada and Eritrea, Mauritius, Seychelles or Somalia.

• Within France and Corsica you may bring up to 23 kg (50.5 lbs), regardless the number of bags.

**Important: For European KLM flights booked on or after 14 May 2013 we will charge a fee for checking in a first bag - in Economy Class and for some travellers only

You are NOT allowed 2 x 23kg in the hold as default. You can have one.

If you want another, you can - you pay for it.

Unless of course it's totally different rules for different places.

Edit: just saw what was posted above. Blimey that's bloody annoying.