229 cm (90") has fallen at MQ so far this March.

That puts it as the second snowiest March in the 7 winters I've been keeping track.

Quite a few rain events and warm days - sunny or otherwise - this March, but also plenty of powder days.

There must be some major differences between Niseko Village and Kutchan then Mike as this March is ranked #5 out of 7 for Kutchan. 116cm so far recorded in Kutchan. In 2010 they had 214cm. 2011 had 210cm then 2007 with 160cm, 2009 with 126cm.

Hasn't that always been the way?

Kutchan gets less than the base areas of the Niseko Resort Area, which in turn get less than at the top of the lift system.

And once the weather warms up it's much harder for snow to "stick" and settle in somewhere like Kutchan than at the base of the mountains which are still covered in snow.

This will impact snowfall measurement.

There are other gentlemen recording daily snowfall in the area and theire total is well below mine on first glance.

1544 cm compared with my measurement of 1716 cm

But when you take into consideration the number of days recorded (135), then that works out at approx 1.3 cm difference a day.

And they've recently moved their plot from Lower Hirafu Village to an area nearer Kutchan and the daily differences have been far greater.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For more than two more months!!!!!!  

Awww, that truly hurts.  

YMMV of course, but I'd call this one of the worst Niseko seasons I've experienced. Some genuinely epic powder days, but too many spells of no or little fresh snow for 3 and 4 days at a time, and then when it did dump so much wind that most of the mountain was shut down. Probably didn't seem like a bad season if you were there the whole time and could take advantage of the good days, especially in early January and early February, but for heading up xxx days at a time it was far less consistently good than in most of the past 20 years. And by mid-February it was just too warm.

Still, the far bigger problem is the over development. There are just too many people on the mountain for the available terrain. Anyway, I need to write up my Hanazono review. Let's all hope things get back to normal next season.

That's the biggest impact, especially in Hirafu and Hanazono.

There's a reason why more people - seasonaires and holidaymakers - are venturing outside of Niseko United for their powder fix.

You look remarkably like Dawson, pie-eater!

:console:

I wouldn't take the trip over to Japan just for snowboarding in March. With something else and snowboarding as part, maybe.

This.

I would never recommend March for someone coming from overseas just to slide on the snow.

It's just too much of a risk.

much colder today at least. Should be a little quicker on the slopes. Heres to hoping it can hold just a little longer into saturday (though nozzie now suggests otherwise). Kandahar looking much whiter this time around. Just got a new crown at the dentist, so probably time to get up there. :)

On the upside, some of the best package deals in years were available this season for Niseko, making it worth putting up with some off days and crowds. Even skied out the mountain is fun.

But you're right, MikeP, that other venues are starting to grow in appeal.

I know some skiing friends who seem to have lost all interest in the season earlier than usual.

Presumably because of the warm weather. People's thoughts turn to spring stuff.

Yeah, I know how they feel. I want to go but weighing up the costs against the returns, I may have had my last run out last week! :sadface:

That puts it as the second snowiest March in the 7 winters I've been keeping track.

Quite a few rain events and warm days - sunny or otherwise - this March, but also plenty of powder days.

There must be some major differences between Niseko Village and Kutchan then Mike as this March is ranked #5 out of 7 for Kutchan. 116cm so far recorded in Kutchan. In 2010 they had 214cm. 2011 had 210cm then 2007 with 160cm, 2009 with 126cm.

Kutchan gets less than the base areas of the Niseko Resort Area, which in turn get less than at the top of the lift system.

And once the weather warms up it's much harder for snow to "stick" and settle in somewhere like Kutchan than at the base of the mountains which are still covered in snow.

There are other gentlemen recording daily snowfall in the area and theire total is well below mine on first glance.

But when you take into consideration the number of days recorded (135), then that works out at approx 1.3 cm difference a day.

And they've recently moved their plot from Lower Hirafu Village to an area nearer Kutchan and the daily differences have been far greater.

I know there's a huge difference in total snowfall between the base of the mountain and Kutchan and that there's more as you go around the mountain towards Annupuri because the base height increases and you're getting further west. I'm not talking about the difference in total amount so much as your claim that this was the 2nd snowiest March in the last 7 seasons you've been there. Considering that for Kutchan it was nowhere near the 2nd snowiest March. Not even slightly close to it. I'm not suggesting that your measurements are completely wrong but if you're right it suggests that even within the relatively small distance between Kutchan and Niseko Village there can be major variations in snowfall totals compared to averages for each location. Meaning Kutchan can have a below or close to average month whilst Niseko Village may receive well above average snowfall in the same month. Interesting to see such localised variation if that's the case.

Fifth stage of grief people! I had a great day today. Turns out theres all this stuff i started learning in my first year that i just never really picked back up after my third season when i just spent my time swimming in endless pow. It was like coming full circle. I suck at buttering of course, and im too inflexible now compared to how i was when i first picked this sport up (and even then i was super inflexible - ive always felt yoga would completely turn my game around but just never got to it), but it was great fun just learning to spring and pop again. Also spent loads of time in creek beds and popping out of the lips and back in, so half pipe is once again something id be down for doing. Whatever it is though, ridings just way more fun when youre popping off shit. How did i forget this? Its like someone stole my mojo and only now, at the tail of the season its back. Yay! Only two more days, but im really glad it came back today rather than sunday. It gives me a couple of days to just, i dunno, work on stuff and enjoy bouncing about.

So yeah, all you people bitching. Sucks to be you! the hills empty, the lines are of course ruined, my feet are waterlogged (boots are dying i think), and my binding ratchets keep inexplicably popping (i thinkmy bindings are done). But the side hits are soft and bouncy and Its awesome conditions to dick about and try new shit.

I know there's a huge difference in total snowfall between the base of the mountain and Kutchan and that there's more as you go around the mountain towards Annupuri because the base height increases and you're getting further west. I'm not talking about the difference in total amount so much as your claim that this was the 2nd snowiest March in the last 7 seasons you've been there. Considering that for Kutchan it was nowhere near the 2nd snowiest March. Not even slightly close to it. I'm not suggesting that your measurements are completely wrong but if you're right it suggests that even within the relatively small distance between Kutchan and Niseko Village there can be major variations in snowfall totals compared to averages for each location. Meaning Kutchan can have a below or close to average month whilst Niseko Village may receive well above average snowfall in the same month. Interesting to see such localised variation if that's the case.

That's good of you ;)

And the localised variation can be huge in my experience.

I've recorded snowfall 20 of the 29 days of March to date.

March is the month with the greatest variability in terms of snowfall, rain and temperature.

It's been cold

It's been warm

It's been dry

It's been wet (rain)

It's been snowy

It's been windy

Biggest change this March has been the high wind, which has closed the upper lifts far too many times.

Fifth stage of grief people! I had a great day today. Turns out theres all this stuff i started learning in my first year that i just never really picked back up after my third season when i just spent my time swimming in endless pow. It was like coming full circle. I suck at buttering of course, and im too inflexible now compared to how i was when i first picked this sport up (and even then i was super inflexible - ive always felt yoga would completely turn my game around but just never got to it), but it was great fun just learning to spring and pop again. Also spent loads of time in creek beds and popping out of the lips and back in, so half pipe is once again something id be down for doing. Whatever it is though, ridings just way more fun when youre popping off shit. How did i forget this? Its like someone stole my mojo and only now, at the tail of the season its back. Yay! Only two more days, but im really glad it came back today rather than sunday. It gives me a couple of days to just, i dunno, work on stuff and enjoy bouncing about.

So yeah, all you people bitching. Sucks to be you! the hills empty, the lines are of course ruined, my feet are waterlogged (boots are dying i think), and my binding ratchets keep inexplicably popping (i thinkmy bindings are done). But the side hits are soft and bouncy and Its awesome conditions to dick about and try new shit.

This is making me feel very guilty that I bottled it and didn't make it out this weekend - particularly as things look to be really warming up again next week! :doh:

So ippy, does this mean that as and when you settle down again, you'll be on the lookout for new boots and bindings for your 'zerker, assuming that's the only board you're left with now?

Im still dithering on that exact issue. After this weekend im definitely getting shot of one of my jackets, my grandad cord pants, and a couple of hoodies. Then... when i get to tokyo the remaining snowgears will go in a nice normal size bag (boots included). I still have TWO boards left... im actually considering putting up my sierrascope with my forces for sale. Could probably get 20,000 for the set even if they are a bit trashed (its a great beater combo). Thatd mean much less weight. I still have the coupon at trusnow, so should be easy enough to get back in the game if needs be.

Itd be great to get rid of the zerker as well... only for convenience sake though. Still, its protecting my guitar from snapping (i assume), so if nothing else, its still got a function :) Its going to be fun working this shit out when i see whats left after i trim it all down a bit once the season ends for me... er, tomorrow).

Lmk what clothing you've got (brands, sizes, colours, etc) as I might be interested plus I could pick them up from you in Tokyo - pm me if you'd prefer. :thumbsup: