What happened to March this season*?

It really puts people thinking of doing March into a pickle doesn't it.

Last year March brought up some wonderful goodies.

This season it's been more like an oven.

Big risk.

Damn, spring arrived quick this year.

(* in most places)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For more than two more months!!!!!!  

Awww, that truly hurts.  

Been close to average snowfall and temps for March in Niseko. But even up there March can be somewhat risky. In 2008 March failed almost completely with only 38cm falling in Kutchan for the whole month (lowest ever recorded for March). Last year they only had 79cm. 2010 and 2011 though both had over 2m fall. The average is around 130cm. All you can rely on really is averages. Most years on the whole March is still a pretty good time to go, especially if you want lower prices, more sunshine, milder temps and longer days. There's usually still some great powder days but they'll be fewer and farther between than in say Jan.

What happened this season? Well it appears the jet stream took a path further north ealier than usual cutting off most of Honshu from the colder continental air mass to the north for much of the month. In Japan it ridged north, in parts of Europe and of course the UK it's ridged south bringing unseasonal cold and heavy snow. Will be interesting to see a global wrap up of what's been going on with the weather at the end of the month.

My season overview would say that it never really quite got going as it normally does.

Ended up with a decent amount of snow I suppose, but there was very little of the prolonged consistent mad snow that we all so love for this area. I didn't have any proper snow moving to do at all (!) this year. Thats my excuse for putting on a bit of weight! ;)

Spring certainly sprung on us early though without many returns to winter this March.

For more than two more months!!!!!!

:bumtish:

In his defence though im pretty sure he meant it was three more months for him and not necessarily in hakuba... but more for hiking places.

The 'sales and marketing hat' is firmly stuck on some people's head and they seem incapable of taking it off, even just for a moment.

That and insincere types..... it's fun outing them. Give us the overly cheesy and/or hyped up material to work with, and what does one expect from us comics? ;)

And of course it's all done in good humour. Gambarimasu!

:cheers:

I never got the politics. Which is kinda odd since i love gossip and intrigue. But i always assume everyones posting legit info :)

• SnowJapan Admin

That would be nice wouldn't it.

Over the years we have seen the world of 'politics' increasingly raise it's head in a few of the popular places here.

Some people are very transparent, usually because they simply want to come on post and go away leaving their message. Absolute minimum effort. Effectively... spamming the community.

Others are a bit more crafty about how they go about it.

The more transparent stuff doesn't get up here, or doesn't last long anyway for most people to see.

We wish we could do some 'outing' ourselves from time to time, but resist the temptation.

We shall choose the high road.

I'm not implying anyone in particular here by the way - just a general observation on the subject of politics.

ooooh! its all this insinuation that makes it delicious you know. Ill just have to assume its Mick Rich and kokodoko for returning to furano more than a reasonable human being would ever tolerate. Also, anyone that suggests that sugadaira, akakura onsen, or tsugaike are "all right" will be held in deep suspicion!!! You hear me BM!!!! :grandpa: DEEP SUSPICION!!!

The 'sales and marketing hat' is firmly stuck on some people's head and they seem incapable of taking it off, even just for a moment.

That and insincere types..... it's fun outing them. Give us the overly cheesy and/or hyped up material to work with, and what does one expect from us comics? ;)

And of course it's all done in good humour. Gambarimasu!

:cheers:

What the types that actually live in ski areas and ski more days each season than you're likely to in the rest of your life? You're just jealous! :lol:

:rollabout: :rollabout:

Er, no. Just the types who post bullshit.... as I said. Duh.

I'm not the jealous type. Not even of your superior intellect and future inheritance!

Interestingly I note that Sapporo has had it's highest winter snowfall since the year 2000 (with the possibility of a bit more to come yet). Otaru on the other hand hasn't even had as much as last year. Amazing how there can be such variation in such a short distance.

:rollabout: :rollabout:

Er, no. Just the types who post bullshit.... as I said. Duh.

I'm not the jealous type. Not even of your superior intellect and future inheritance!

Nothing compared to your inheritance by all accounts. And your intellect....well let's just say monkeys in buckets is about as good as it gets.

229 cm (90") has fallen at MQ so far this March.

That puts it as the second snowiest March in the 7 winters I've been keeping track.

Quite a few rain events and warm days - sunny or otherwise - this March, but also plenty of powder days.

What happened to March this season*?

It really puts people thinking of doing March into a pickle doesn't it.

Last year March brought up some wonderful goodies.

This season it's been more like an oven.

Big risk.

Damn, spring arrived quick this year.

Hakuba Cortina said they set a new record snowdepth earlier this season, but its already fallen to a meter less than this time last year.

I reckon the average temp this March must be a new record. A warm one is normally 2C average, but it must have been much higher than that.

It'll be scant consolation, but it hasn't rained much either. The ground is quite dry already. Even if it had been colder, it wouldn't have snowed that much.

YMMV of course, but I'd call this one of the worst Niseko seasons I've experienced. Some genuinely epic powder days, but too many spells of no or little fresh snow for 3 and 4 days at a time, and then when it did dump so much wind that most of the mountain was shut down. Probably didn't seem like a bad season if you were there the whole time and could take advantage of the good days, especially in early January and early February, but for heading up xxx days at a time it was far less consistently good than in most of the past 20 years. And by mid-February it was just too warm.

Still, the far bigger problem is the over development. There are just too many people on the mountain for the available terrain. Anyway, I need to write up my Hanazono review. Let's all hope things get back to normal next season.

ooooh! its all this insinuation that makes it delicious you know. Ill just have to assume its Mick Rich and kokodoko for returning to furano more than a reasonable human being would ever tolerate. Also, anyone that suggests that sugadaira, akakura onsen, or tsugaike are "all right" will be held in deep suspicion!!! You hear me BM!!!! :grandpa: DEEP SUSPICION!!!

:lol: Let me deepen your suspicions by pointing you in the direction of the TR I've just posted for Tsugaike! :D

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/22833-tsugaike-kogen-20th-march-2013/

229 cm (90") has fallen at MQ so far this March.

That puts it as the second snowiest March in the 7 winters I've been keeping track.

Quite a few rain events and warm days - sunny or otherwise - this March, but also plenty of powder days.

There must be some major differences between Niseko Village and Kutchan then Mike as this March is ranked #5 out of 7 for Kutchan. 116cm so far recorded in Kutchan. In 2010 they had 214cm. 2011 had 210cm then 2007 with 160cm, 2009 with 126cm.