• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

OK got it.

So we choose the place that the phone enters the house, the hikari box goes near there. Then that connects to the Time Capsule. I choose rooms I want the LAN thing to go and make sure that they know to connect that to the place where the Time Capsule will live.

I think I get that now.

Thanks.

As you add more WiFi devices you will get more collisions and degradation of the network. that and it's way harder to troubleshoot a wireless network than a wired one.

Plus, given the large size of media files, wired connections will always be noticeably much faster and fewer headaches.

Best to hard wire everything you can (TVs, Desktop computers, etc) to minimize the load on the wireless. Your network will thank you later :sjcool:

• Like 1

How do you hook up ur TV to the PC using wifi?

If you have the type I got, its really easy just set your device (tv, smartphone, printer) to search for your wifi network, push and hold the signal button on your modem unit until the light flashes and the device should automatically log on under a secure wifi network.

Everything will connect to your computer and you can control all the devices with your computer or individually.

As you add more WiFi devices you will get more collisions and degradation of the network. that and it's way harder to troubleshoot a wireless network than a wired one.

Plus, given the large size of media files, wired connections will always be noticeably much faster and fewer headaches.

Best to hard wire everything you can (TVs, Desktop computers, etc) to minimize the load on the wireless. Your network will thank you later :sjcool:

That's a good point actually, yeah if your on a slow network the more devices you add the slower it will become, but on really fast networks the impact is not so noticeable really.

Got it.

This "designing your house" is fun. What we have now is totally different from the basic thing we started off with. Almost everything has changed. :lol:

Can't imagine wanting to buy a pre-built design and layout.

Well, we haven't signed or committed to anything yet Tubby.

So all this tinkering etc is not charged, as such.

Basically we are honing in our how we would like our house, this company had adjusted the house plan 5 times now and I can see perhaps a few more adjustments before we are happy with the layout etc.

Until now just an "about" cost, I think once we say yes this is pretty much what we want they will give us a more detailed costing.

Then we start talking about things like optional upgraded bathroom/kitchen styles, basic fittings, colors of stuff etc, which will no doubt affect the total price.

We went through that process of changing until we got the plan as we liked it.

Up until you sign the contract it is free to chop and change only after you sign do you need to pay more if you want to make changes to the structural layout.

Things like wall colours kitchens etc you can choose after and change if you dont like the available options and may be cheaper or more expensive depending on what you select.

Next week we go and confirm the boundaries of the land as well as hight togther with the house builder and the ward office.

This weekend is starting to go through the internal parts.

Following that will be outside wall color and patturn etc etc.

It is so much fun having a house custom built to suit rather than just buying a ready made one.

You also learn so much about how the house is built as well as all the technical jargon too.

We went through that process of changing until we got the plan as we liked it.

Up until you sign the contract it is free to chop and change only after you sign do you need to pay more if you want to make changes to the structural layout.

Things like wall colours kitchens etc you can choose after and change if you dont like the available options and may be cheaper or more expensive depending on what you select.

Next week we go and confirm the boundaries of the land as well as hight togther with the house builder and the ward office.

This weekend is starting to go through the internal parts.

Following that will be outside wall color and patturn etc etc.

It is so much fun having a house custom built to suit rather than just buying a ready made one.

You also learn so much about how the house is built as well as all the technical jargon too.

Wait till you get the pack of information once the house is complete. Talk about in depth. Ours is about 10cms with ALL the certificates of jobs done, photos of the building etc....

Haven't actually bought any land yet.

But close to finalising a purchase, just 'negotiating' on the cost.

Not spent a penny yet.

The builder was completely seperate but turns out they do know each other, and have been in contact to confirm a few things. The builder has also contacted the town office to make sure we can actually build the kind of thing we want on there.

The land space is about 100m2 or so and our house is about 150m2 in total living space, which is two floors and a loft space, and it took about 6/7months from initial building until we moved in, Aug '11. I'll have to double check on those measurements when I get home tonight though, and may update this post to show that.

We were able to change things right until they started putting the pipes in. We're still very happy with it, I just wish we had MORE power sockets. :D

Not spent a penny yet.

The builder was completely seperate but turns out they do know each other, and have been in contact to confirm a few things. The builder has also contacted the town office to make sure we can actually build the kind of thing we want on there.

Interesting....sorry to pick your brain about details, but did you see a plot that you liked and started negotiating price....then based on this plot you then went to a builder and said I like THIS plot, I would like a house this size....what can you do for me?... Then took the planning from there?

Not spent a penny yet.

Interesting....sorry to pick your brain about details, but did you see a plot that you liked and started negotiating price....then based on this plot you then went to a builder and said I like THIS plot, I would like a house this size....what can you do for me?... Then took the planning from there?

Actually we saw a show house that we really liked and kind of went from there.

But as I said the design of the house we have going now on paper has ended up looking totally different.

We know the kind of size of house we want and so as long as the land we end up is big enough....