Been a fun week for cycling. Missed my train on sunday to Nozawa (got stuck at the barriers about 100meters from the train for 3 minutes - next time im ducking those bastards), so decided a cycle into nagano was in order. Forgot how tiring 40kms is in that last ten clicks. Got a new ipod touch though (5g! yay!) so i can finally use the snowjapan app (there isnt one for android). It also means i can take decent pictures without a) carrying my tablet with me and hoping it doesnt break; or b ) praying to god that my gopro takes ONE lousy half decent pic out of the 200 or so ill take whenever i have it.

What else? Ah yes, got hit by a car on tuesday, and then fell on my face today when i got caught by some black ice at a corner. So er... the bike can foad!

But pics ahoy! Im hoping theres a way i can just post them directly in the thread in the new snowjapan, but if not, ill still be regaling you all with pictures of train journeys to and from nozawa...

BUT NOT THIS WEEKEND!!!

Well, maybe not one of the days this weekend. I gots me a pair of madarao tickets, and since im billy no mates, ill be using them over the next few weeks. One this weekend for sure, and one in a couple of weeks so i can get a decent second opinion.

Havent yet decided if i ride madarao on the saturday or sunday. Im leaning towards sunday and hitting up nozawa on saturday. Conditions seem like theyre going to be good but low viz saturday, and groping about in a whiteout probably wont really let me see the best it has to offer. Sunday looks the best bet then with an EASY (you hear that you bastard subconscious that keeps pulling me down stupid lines) day cruising the pow in Nozawa on saturday.

Hey Ipps, I am arriving at Madarao this Saturday arvo and will be on the hill Sunday.

Keep an eye out for this Fugly head, helmet and jacket and give me a shout.

gallery_10039_33_425137.jpg

will do, ill wear my bright blue snaggletooth II jacket (looks a bit deranged simpsons, with a blue helmet). Actually just look for a dude riding a pair of busted green union force bindings and generally looking like a hobo.

Hey Ipps, I am arriving at Madarao this Saturday arvo and will be on the hill Sunday.

Keep an eye out for this Fugly head, helmet and jacket and give me a shout.

gallery_10039_33_425137.jpg

Junky man, be a lot less fugly (in case peeps don't understand it's F'nUgly) if you wasn't so lousy with the milk and let the cat lick all those whiskers off! :D

Actually i think you might be right. Saturday looks like a write off. Afternoon winds around nozawa are threatening serious gale force. If someones there early saturday, would they mind checking in on conditions. I have to make my mind up before 9am usually but honestly, thats looking about as bad as it can get. I might just save the madarao trip for the week after if thats the case. Ideally on a new resort, you want minimal consequences for a bit of an explore, so deep pow from today to saturday night (according to the forecasts) means pretty much unclipping and bootpacking any time im daft enough to venture off the beaten track. And i can hardly review the place if its just groomers now, can i? Especially since one of the reasons madarao seems well loved is its semi off piste... then again... since ive got two tickets, day 1 in powder might strike a nice balance with mid feb conditions if its been clear for a few days. Trouble is ill have to bring out the slasher.

really? Tried finding it on play but didnt see it. Have just this second checked and there it is! Whaddayaknow!

Anyways, did i fall asleep for three months? Is it april? Why are we in near double figure temps at 350m elevation 20km south of nagano?

Drove from Sanjo to muikaland today.

Very interesting, stuck to the Route 17

There is lots of snow around Ojiya, Kawaguchi, Koide, Uonuma.

Heavy snow as well.

Hit Minamiuonuma area and the sun was out and nothing falling.

Much less snow than the places to the north, very noticeable.

I hear its blizzard time back home now, but it's clear and calm here!

:wave:

Yes the snow is kind of falling in the wrong areas this year (in Niigata) and we are definitely on a fair bit less than we should be on here.

Should be a good season at Koshi Kogen though up in Kawaguchi.

I believe we'll see the heavy stuff here tomorrow.

Drove from Sanjo to muikaland today.

Very interesting, stuck to the Route 17

There is lots of snow around Ojiya, Kawaguchi, Koide, Uonuma.

Heavy snow as well.

Hit Minamiuonuma area and the sun was out and nothing falling.

Much less snow than the places to the north, very noticeable.

I hear its blizzard time back home now, but it's clear and calm here!

:wave:

Yes the snow is kind of falling in the wrong areas this year (in Niigata) and we are definitely on a fair bit less than we should be on here.

Should be a good season at Koshi Kogen though up in Kawaguchi.

I believe we'll see the heavy stuff here tomorrow.

Strange isn't it where it falls.

Here in Tokamachi we have more than you guys over the hill in Yuzawa.Minamiuonuma.

Still not as much as normal, but more.

Lots of 'satoyuki' this season it seems.