Yup, go to both. I have to teach my kids how to ski but before lessons start/after/and on breaks/ I can piss off and get some laps in by myself which is great. But, Im working from 6am-10pm once they have lights out. Then, teachers usually get wasted and eat great food but I passed out daily then in Dec.

When I skiied for the first time in my university, we all wore zekken(German word?) - numbers to specify who was who. That is really common especially for school ski trips, I guess.

Yamakashi, do you speak kansai-ben when you teach kids how to ski?

I just got a new keitai and the Japanese typing system for i-mode has a function to be familiar with kansai-ben. It says if I type 'koute kite' while I turn the kansai-ben function off, it would appear like '公的て' but if I turn it on, it would do '買うて来て' LOL

Gamera, Ive only been in Kansai for 10 months so my Kansai ben isnt anything - at least compared with my Hiroshima ben. Spent a long time there so its much more ingraved in my head. Workin on the Kansai and its comin but I just dont know the vocab thats used in kansai vs. hyojungo vs. hiroshima ben. It will take some time. To answer your question I use all three, meaning I use kansai, hyojungo, and hiroshima ben slips out sometimes. I just predominantly use that to scare the kids and get them under control. You should see how quickly they quiet down after yellin at them in Hiroshima ben eek.gif lol.gif

But, whats wrong with foreingers speaking a dialect of Japanese? Its what you always hear, 24 hours a day, so naturally thats what youre gonna repeat; just like a child does when he/she grows up and becomes able to speak.

Japanese speak Brittish, Australian, American, Canadian English, etc... Is THAT so strange?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
But, whats wrong with foreingers speaking a dialect of Japanese? Its what you always hear, 24 hours a day, so naturally thats what youre gonna repeat; just like a child does when he/she grows up and becomes able to speak.

Japanese speak Brittish, Australian, American, Canadian English, etc... Is THAT so strange?
No, not strange, Yama.
We are very impressed by foreigners who can speak a dialect of Japanese. You think it's natural but it means you respect local people and culture a lot. I think you are so cool with your Hiroshima-ben. I can imagine your students quiet down after yelling at them in Hiroshima-ben! lol.gif
I can speak only Hyojungo or a little Yokohama-ben. You can't tell my local culture from my speaking.

No not strange at all, Yama.

I mean generally Japanese are not good at learning other languages, so if they see some foreigners speak some dialects, they really get interested in how they have learnt it and how hard it has been etc.

As slow says, I'm sure a lot local people know you respect their culture.

Sorry if my last post sounds embarrassing.

I've heard that many hotels in the Shiga Kogen area offer special deals for school groups and it is well known as a school trip ski resort place. I know when I've been esp on weekdays a large % of the people there are school groups.

gamera, was just askin mate. I got some J-mates who sound more like aussies than aussies do (whatever that means) and it always impresses me.

I dont think Japanese cant learn another language; thats not true. I just think culture barriers and lack of practice are the biggest issues.

With practice, most anybody can learn a foreign language.

Yeah practice is the key.

When I was a junior high school student, no native speaker English teachers were available because no JET program etc then.

But English class in school were just boring coz reading, writing and grammer all the time. No conversation. So I often sang English songs instead. Carpenters' songs worked, I guess. Because Caren pronounced really clear and easy to follow for me.

~ Only yesterday lalala ~ lol