How much does ski and wear rental cost overseas?

I'd say more important is that good rental/demo equipment (for skiers) is rather hard to find in Japan (excepting a certain antipodal outfit that rents very high-end gear at a mountain many deride as angularly challenged whereas others insist it's meteorologically enhanced).

Which is to say that most rental skis at Japanese resorts are beginner-level crap, and would be expensive at any cost.

off the top of my head, rental of gear at Glenshee in Scotland, for boots and Skis/snowboard is about 25-30 quid for a day.....so around 4000¥ for a days hire. How does that compare to here? I've only ever rented once and it was 10 years ago so I can't remember what the price was

Plenty to choose from there ! :lol:

I'm sure it's gotten a bit better in recent years, but aside from the ``aforementioned'' place, I'd be really happy to find somewhere I could rent let's say a pair of Moment Bibby Pros in the morning, then swap them at no extra cost for some Blizzard Bonafides for the p.m. chopped up snow.

I'd like to rent a Viking......send him off to go berserk in a bank and rob it, then give me the money and then hand him over to the cops when my loan runs out....wonder how much that'd cost?

At Hakuba skis, boots & poles for 7 days - Performance 24800y Beginner 19300y

In Whistler ski, boots & poles for 7 days - Performance $248cad.

Not surprising, both shops have the same business name.

Rusutsu Resort only used to rent one model of Salomon.

There was a greater choice of skis for rental just across the highway.

I've been renting kids gear over the past few years and thought Japanese prices were quite high for clothing (2000-3000yen per day) and gear (4000) compared to the cost of lift tix, meals etc. But i guess most of it is the labour, store rents etc.

When the cost of secondhand clothing is roughly 2 days worth of renting (which is also secondhand for all but one customer) it was an easy choice to get buy gear for the week's ski trip, even if it doesn't fit the following year.

I can understand renting skis and poles, but not boots or clothing. Ewwwwwwwww. I'm sure they don't clean the boots and clothing after every hire. Ewwwwwwwwww. And the snotty nosed kids? Ewwwwwwwww.

But that's just me.

I've rented a few times in Australia and in Japan

Thredbo had craptastic boards and bindings, that looked like they were from the early 90's or else cheap chinese stuff, but cost $121 for 3 days. When we went to Perisher, we rented from the BP service station in Jindabyne. The place was very reasonable ($130 for boots and board/5days IIRC, it's been 6 years though) and I had a K2 board.

I think I paid about 11000Y for 7 days at Shiga Olympic Hotel/Snowcan for a K2 board with K2 Cinch bindings (like flows, but more traditional feel) so the prices are cheaper than Australia, but then again, everywhere is cheaper than Australia.

I can understand renting skis and poles, but not boots or clothing. Ewwwwwwwww. I'm sure they don't clean the boots and clothing after every hire. Ewwwwwwwwww. And the snotty nosed kids? Ewwwwwwwww.

But that's just me.

Are there any SJers out there who have worked in a rental shop and know how often they're cleaned? Share a horror story or two!

I bought a pair of skis brand new for 23K, used them for about 3 or 4 seasons and just sold them for 18K. That means I paid about the same as what it would cost to hire a pair of skis for 2 days and the skis were a lot better than most of the crap for hire in Japan. Unless you want to try out a particular ski, if possible I'd recommend just buying a pair.