• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

DAY 74 : SUNDAY 27 JANUARY 2013

63 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

33 cm fell in a 3 hr period yesterday afternoon, with an additional 30 cm falling overnight.

Anticipation of deep turns was high but so too was the wind unfortunately.

Last night's 'nighta' was all-time by all accounts but strong winds overnight packed the new snow just a couple of hundred metres above the base area throughout the Niseko Resort Area.

THE AM WITH IAN M

Ian and I started the day at the Niseko Hirafu gondola, but with the queue for day tickets stretching out the door and the line for the slowly moving gondola stretching up Boyo, we got back in the car and drove to the Niseko Hanazono base area.

No lift line, the sun shining, and untracked snow all over the lower mountain.

The Hanazono Hooded Quad Lift #1 was running very slowly and the turns at the top of Strawberry Fields and Blueberry Fields were very tricky with windpacked powder one turn and wind scoured hardpack the next.

But once we dropped lower the snow got progressively better and deeper.

This was the first morning on new skis for Ian.

Taking my lead and seeing the depths I've been getting in the powder on my Coreupt The Caspers twin tips (112-79-105 in a 173 cm) Ian swapped his Dynastar Legend Sultan (126-80-108 in a 165cm, 15m radius) for the Rossignol Bandit B78 Respect (116-78-105 in a 166 cm, 16m radius).

Ian also had the bindings mounted 2cm forward of normal which puts it 2cm from being centre mounted.

1 cm less in the tip and 2cm forward may not sound much but with a narrower platform and more whole foot control and balance Ian soon found the depth he's been looking for.

Ian in Mario's

MikePow_1984.jpg

MikePow_1985.jpg

MikePow_1986.jpg

MikePow_1987.jpg

Getting deep beside the Hanazono Hooded Quad Lift #1

MikePow_1988.jpg

MikePow_1989.jpg

MikePow_1990.jpg

MikePow_1991.jpg

MikePow_1992.jpg

MikePow_1993.jpg

MikePow_1994.jpg

Putting on a show for the lift line

MikePow_1995.jpg

MikePow_1996.jpg

MikePow_1997.jpg

It was plenty deep enough if you were on the right platform and knew where to go.

Ian all smiles back at the car park

MikePow_1998.jpg

Cool to see that you had such a good day. seems like I shouldn't have given up so easily.

I managed to catch the great snow on Sat afternoon. Lucky I did, because Sunday sucked for me.

I didnt need to queue for a ticket, so I managed 2 runs on the gondola before the lineup was huge. 900 million 'powder frothers' were lining up for swinging monkey, so I gave konayuki and mihirashi a go. I was shocked to find they were such bad quality snow and snow drifts, that I thought I might try to see how it deposited on super ridge instead. Saw the lineup for ace quad was just as bad.

When compared to the quality only 12 hours before I ended up shaking my fist at the sky while cursing, and went home.

Mike - a question in ignorance, when you talk about the depth you were getting is it better to be deeper? As a boarder my aim is to really try and float on top.

Anything - do they still have signs up saying you cant ride under swinging monkey, that was a great small 1/2 pipe last Dec ;) When that was packed we used to just walk up that little hill on the right before the litte slope to monkey lift line and drop in the back there which was a LOT of fun. Sorry not sure exactly what its called. I imagine you are already aware of that though?

Mike - a question in ignorance, when you talk about the depth you were getting is it better to be deeper? As a boarder my aim is to really try and float on top.

Anything - do they still have signs up saying you cant ride under swinging monkey, that was a great small 1/2 pipe last Dec ;) When that was packed we used to just walk up that little hill on the right before the litte slope to monkey lift line and drop in the back there which was a LOT of fun. Sorry not sure exactly what its called. I imagine you are already aware of that though?

it seems Mike likes to wear non-powder skis so that he sinks into the powder more.

Its more difficult to ski, but it means he is waist deep (or neck deep!) into the powder and guaranteed face shots all day long.

Not exactly sure how he does it, I ski on fat powder skis and half the time I need a snorkel to breathe and cant see where im going either. Maybe he has snow gills!! some sort of waterworld mutant.

Imo, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, like hitting the hard stuff underneath, and not being able to get as far out into the slackcountry, and the track back is more difficult to push through.

but Mike has been doing it a long time, knows what he's doing, and must love it. i'm sure he thinks us fat ski skiers are crazy :), ive almost got a snowboard on each foot. But in the end it doesnt matter, its just cool to see great skiers out and about enjoying the conditions.

the half pipe doesnt seem to be forming as much as ive seen it previously. i think they realized the more they maintain it the more people 'break the rules' and hit it ;)

the little hike at the gondola is Miharashi (i spelled it correctly this time?)

technically its a black chopped up mogul run, but I dont know anybody that actually skis the run. you've got 180 degrees worth of fresh powder tree runs ;)

I only gave it one try on Sunday, but even that was garbage. the wind must have been curling around the mountain all night and compacting the snow and creating snowdrifts that like to grab onto your legs and faceplant you for kicks.

it seems Mike likes to wear non-powder skis so that he sinks into the powder more.

Its more difficult to ski, but it means he is waist deep (or neck deep!) into the powder and guaranteed face shots all day long.

Not exactly sure how he does it, I ski on fat powder skis and half the time I need a snorkel to breathe and cant see where im going either. Maybe he has snow gills!! some sort of waterworld mutant.

Imo, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, like hitting the hard stuff underneath, and not being able to get as far out into the slackcountry, and the track back is more difficult to push through.

but Mike has been doing it a long time, knows what he's doing, and must love it. i'm sure he thinks us fat ski skiers are crazy :), ive almost got a snowboard on each foot. But in the end it doesnt matter, its just cool to see great skiers out and about enjoying the conditions.

Explained perfectly anything, thanks.

Big breaths, big breaths ;)

DAY 74 : SUNDAY 27 JANUARY 2013 continued

THE PM WITH THE HIRAFU FLYERS

Ian dropped me off at the Hirafu gondola and despite what looked like a massive line stretching up Boyo I queued up to see what the snow was like in Konayuki.

Windblown, windscraped and tracked. Until you got to the run out which was powtastic.

As I was doing laps on the Holiday Pair Lift #1 and skiing the perfect powder below the Holiday run down to the Gondola car park I saw a group hitting a small kicker pulling some impressive moves.

I skied over and asked if they wanted to up the ante and jump off something a little bigger.

After a few sideways glances to each other with the 'who's this guy?' look they agreed and followed me down to a feature that I thought would be a good spot to jump off and take pics and video.

James and Sarah from Melbourne and the Jersey Boys Charlie, Freddy & Dan - that's Jersey one of the Channel Islands between England and France not the US of A mind you.

We skied below the feature and bootpacked up underneath the face to check the height and landing and then the group set about building the take off and packing down the run in.

Sarah, Charlie, Freddy and James checking out the take off

MikePow_1999.jpg

The landing

MikePow_2000.jpg

Up first to test it out, Charlie

MikePow_2001.jpg

MikePow_2002.jpg

MikePow_2003.jpg

MikePow_2004.jpg

MikePow_2005.jpg

The run in wasn't quite set up, but Charlie had a soft landing thankfully

MikePow_2006.jpg

Where's my other ski?

MikePow_2007.jpg

Freddy to the rescue

MikePow_2008.jpg

MikePow_2009.jpg

Freddy keeping a cool head and landing it

MikePow_2020.jpg

MikePow_2021.jpg

MikePow_2022.jpg

MikePow_2023.jpg

MikePow_2024.jpg

MikePow_2025.jpg

MikePow_2026.jpg

MikePow_2027.jpg

MikePow_2028.jpg

Charlie Take 2

MikePow_2029.jpg

MikePow_2030.jpg

MikePow_2031.jpg

MikePow_2032.jpg

Finishing with a Halo Jump

MikePow_2033.jpg

MikePow_2034.jpg

MikePow_2035.jpg

Freddy

MikePow_2061.jpg

And last but certainly not least, Sarah launching the longest air of the day

MikePow_2062.jpg

MikePow_2063.jpg

MikePow_2064.jpg

MikePow_2065.jpg

MikePow_2066.jpg

Many thanks for joining me this afternoon guys and trusting some random guy that a bigger feature to jump off existed around the corner.

Your patience and skill was much appreciated.

ski crashes are so much fun to see :) I think Charlie's first stack was the best tho.

Was this was pretty early in the Holiday 'extra pow' area ?

just before where the cracks are forming?

not like im gonna hit it tho, broken too many bones already ;)

DAY 75 : MONDAY 28 JANUARY 2013

3 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Report of 2 fatalities in the Niseko Resort Area yesterday:

There have been 2 fatal accidents yesterday. In both cases, the Niseko Rules has been ignored and disrespected. It is really sad to apprehend this reality. Both victims fell into a crack and lost their lives. Dangers about cracks have been repeatedly mentioned in this information, but ended up in vain. Disrespecting, ignoring or criticizing this Information or the Niseko Rules is not a problem as long as people take care of themselves and avoid thoughtless actions that could lead to serious accidents. It is a very sad morning. May their souls rest in peace.

Hard facts are very difficult to come by - a real problem in this area - but it appears that a Finnish skier lost his life in the backcountry accessed from Niseko Hanazono and a Japanese skier lost his life in out of bounds terrain next to Niseko Village.

It appears both fell into glide cracks caused by the weight of the snowpack sliding on the waxy sheath of the sasa (bamboo) buried beneath.

Whether it was death due to trauma, suffocation, exposure or all of these things is not known.

Condolences to the families.

DAY 76 : TUESDAY 29 JANUARY 2013

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

No new snow and brilliant sunshine in the Niseko Resort Area so Ian & I headed to Kiroro.

Before we got to the resort entrance the sun had disappeared and the snow started falling.

There was a spongy wind crust buried about 20 cm below the snow surface but on the right aspect and slope angle the snow invited you in and face shots were the order of the day.

All day.

DAY 77 : WEDNESDAY 30 JANUARY 2013

6 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

With snow falling steadily as we left Kiroro yesterday, Ian and I headed straight back today this time with Jonny Richards (no relation) in tow.

Jonny is Editor-at-Large for UK skiing & snowboarding magazine Fall Line and is over writing a feature.

Yesterday was great, today was better.

Jonny

MikePow_2067.jpg

MikePow_2068.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2069.jpg

MikePow_2070.jpg

Jonny

MikePow_2071.jpg

After a couple of laps we bumped into Hiroki from Otaru who skied with Ian and me a couple of times last season

MikePow_2072.jpg

MikePow_2073.jpg

MikePow_2074.jpg

Ian in

MikePow_2075.jpg

MikePow_2076.jpg

and coming out

MikePow_2077.jpg

DAY 78 : THURSDAY 31 JANUARY 2013

January fizzled out with only 83 cm in the Niseko Resort Area in the final 11 days of the month including 6 days without snow.

But we still got a very healthy 473 cm (186") of snowfall and more powder in 20 days than most mountains get all winter.

When the Niseko Resort Area is "dry" there's always Rusutsu, Kiroro, Teine and Sapporo Kokusai to try.

And then there's the backcountry.

This was the third consecutive day at Kiroro with Ian and we were joined today by Hamilton, barkeep at Maki Lounge and Nikki, long time pal and one of the NBS rental crew in Alpen Ridge.

We were hoping for more of yesterday's magic but found a very tricky rime crust on top of a 20-30 cm layer of warmed up powder instead.

If you let the skis go and were comfortable with speed in steep, treed terrain then it was very good. Flatter pitches were hard work on skis, especially our narrower platforms.

Nikki was loving it on his board.

Lots of skiers over from the Niseko Resort Area in search of powder with guided groups were looking tired and frustrated today.

Hamilton

MikePow_2089.jpg

Nikki

MikePow_2090.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2091.jpg

DAY 79 : FRIDAY 01 FEBRUARY 2013

A warm, grey, miserable day at MQ with intermittent light show showers followed by a fine, misty rain.

The quiet before the storm which is supposed to rage through here tomorrow and Sunday.

DAY 80 : SATURDAY 02 FEBRUARY 2013

The RAIN arrived at 4.30 this morning and it's bloody awful out there as I type (8 am).

It's calm at the moment, but the wind is supposed to ratchet up to 50 km/h up top by day's end.

The good news is this is just a blip with colder temperatures and snow forecast for the coming week and Friday looking like it could be special.

We were at Kiroro same day as you Mike (Thursday).... we had some fun and could imagine this place on a proper powder day would be epic. Might try to make it back there later this week. How does the place handle the wind?

Thanks for the update on conditions at Niseko this morning. We heading to there today but think we'll take our time.