Thanks seemore it was.

Cheers ju87.

Penultimate clip was above the 'Silver Dream' run in Hanazono.

Last clip was Ian and I jumping off the wind lip in 'Ten Turns', the face you can see skiers left of the Hanazono 2 chair when you get off the Hanazono 1 chair and head either to 'Strawberry Fields' or 'Silver Dream'.

You access it through the 'Waterfall' gate.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

DAY 118 : TUESDAY 12 MARCH 2013

7 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

What a difference a day makes.

The temperature rose quickly through the morning and by the time Nerys and I headed to Rusutsu the overnight snow had morphed from powder to porridge.

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 1

First day back on snow since December for Nerys so we headed to Rusutsu to get some mileage under her skis.

Spring season prices at Rusutsu now with a day ticket just JPY 4,100

An excellent day with Nerys making a huge leap forward literally and figuratively.

She showed great discipline all day trying to keep her hands and hips forward & square which made her less mechanical and more fluid in her skiing.

Add in a concerted effort to keep consistent separation between her feet and knees and more patience at the start of the turn and she was moving and grooving despite the choppy conditions and limited visibility.

Hello from Hokkaido

For dinner Nerys and I went to Ezo seafoods in Hirafu with Ian.

Another excellent meal, the place never disappoints.

Oysters, crab, Asari clams in a parsley broth, ginger & garlic prawns, and tempura vegetables.

Nerys

MikePow_2251.jpg

Ezo wall hanging (detail)

MikePow_2252.jpg

thanks for the info. on my last trip, i was constantly staring at that face coming off Hanazono 1 chair trying to figure out how to get to it!

DAY 119 : WEDNESDAY 13 MARCH 2013

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 2

We woke to rain which turned to wet, bitty snow by the time we left the house.

Destination? Kiroro.

With a base area almost 300 m higher than those in the Niseko United we were hoping we'd stay above the freezing level.

And we did.

About 10 cm of new snow on the groomed runs and creamy boot top to knee deep powder in the trees.

The powder got heavier as the day went on and Nerys did really well with her patience at the start of the turn and pressure control today.

The were three layers in the snowpack and we skied on and in the top two. If you went in too aggressively you'd be encased in wet, heavy powder up to your waist.

Not a good look or feeling!

Nerys skiing 'Lovelocks' and 'Walk in the Woods'

DAY 120 : THURSDAY 14 MARCH 2013

4 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 3

The Japanese do Valentine's Day a little differently.

On February 14th the lady gives the gentleman chocolate gifts, with the gentleman reciprocating on March 14th, WHITE DAY.

White Day was first celebrated in 1978 and was started by the National Confectionery Industry Association as an "answer day" to Valentine's Day on the grounds that men should pay back the women who gave them chocolate and other gifts.

Typically the gift is white - chocolate, clothing, jewellery.

For Nerys' first White Day on Hokkaido we headed to The Windsor Hotel TOYA, the only resort in the world with two 3-Michelin star restaurants and host to the 2008 G8 Summit.

We visited the hotel last April for afternoon tea but this time we stayed overnight and dined at the Michel Bras TOYA Japon 3-Michelin star restaurant.

On the way to the hotel we took a detour to the ocean near Toyoura and Nerys couldn't resist making turns at the water's edge

MikePow_2253.jpg

MikePow_2254.jpg

MikePow_2255.jpg

MikePow_2256.jpg

MikePow_2257.jpg

MikePow_2258.jpg

And after a hard ski session it was time to catch a few rays and watch the waves roll in.

MikePow_2259.jpg

MikePow_2260.jpg

MikePow_2261.jpg

MikePow_2262.jpg

The weather closed in as we drove around the headland to the small fishing village of Okishi. So after a quick stop we hotfooted it to The Windsor.

MikePow_2263.jpg

MikePow_2264.jpg

MikePow_2265.jpg

MikePow_2266.jpg

We got to The Windsor just before noon with the staff awaiting our arrival and our room ready.

As we dropped off our bags in the room, our skis, poles and boots were taken around to the ski area for us.

The Windsor has its own private ski area available to hotel guests with green and red runs on the Uchiura Bay area and a 1.6 km red run heading down to Lake Toya.

img_map_0.jpg

You can pay by the day JPY 4,200 or by the run JPY 420

The Lake Toya side is closed this winter whilst the gondola undergoes maintenance, but is scheduled to open next winter. Some excellent terrain off the one groomed run.

The Uchiura Bay area has short 550 m long runs with a maximum pitch of 12 degrees but it's a wonderful feeling skiing perfectly groomed runs with ocean views knowing that you're the only two people skiing that day.

The lifts were fired up just for Nerys and I and at the end of our ski a snowmobile was waiting to take us back to the changing area in the hotel.

We ended up skiing 8 runs with Nerys taking advantage of the snow conditions and terrain to dial effortless turns with subtle balance changes and continuous foot movement.

Oh we do like to be beside the seaside...

Nerys & I at The Windsor Snow Village

MikePow_2267.jpg

We had an afternoon tea of tuna and cheese & ham sandwiches, coffee for me, Earl Grey for Nerys, cake, and an apres-ski drink, followed by a very relaxing onsen.

Sunset from our ocean view room on the 6th floor

MikePow_2268.jpg

The happy snow couple on White Day

MikePow_2269.jpg

This chair hasn't run for a while

MikePow_2270.jpg

Just before 7 pm we made our way to the 11th floor for dinner at the Michel Bras TOYA Japon 3-Michelin star restaurant.

An elegant dining room with wonderful views of Uchiura Bay and Toyoura.

We chose the 'Discovery' menu with Chef Cedric Bourassin substituting the fowl & meat courses with fish & shellfish for Nerys and the sommelier's wine selections for each course.

The service was immpecable, informative and relaxed.

The meal started with boiled egg and sesame and black olive 'soldiers'

MikePow_2271.jpg

MikePow_2272.jpg

Crab, couscous, onion consomme

MikePow_2273.jpg

Gargouillou of young vegetables

MikePow_2274.jpg

Whitefish with wasabi leaves

MikePow_2275.jpg

Whelks with almond milk (for Nerys)

MikePow_2276.jpg

Foie gras with apple and beetroot (for me)

MikePow_2277.jpg

Potato with goat cheese and black olive

MikePow_2278.jpg

Scallops with lettuce (for Nerys)

MikePow_2279.jpg

Wagyu beef (for me)

MikePow_2280.jpg

An extensive and delicious cheese course

Chocolate Biscuit Coulant

MikePow_2281.jpg

Chestnut & raspberry with chestnut ice cream

MikePow_2282.jpg

MikePow_2283.jpg

Selection of ice cream cones - pistachio, caramel, pear, pumpkin

MikePow_2284.jpg

We finished with port, coffee, mint and coffee shots, and rosewater hard candy just before 11pm

Add in a couple of aperitifs and the bill came to JPY 47,000 each.

Not cheap and not for everyone but this was without doubt the best meal and meal experience Nerys & I have had the pleasure of enjoying and worth every yen in our opinion.

That looks like a great spot Mike love the beach photos :thumbsup:

I am not sure about the restauraunt although it does look good just to confirm the meal alone was JPY47000 each which works out to be AU$522 or was that the accomodation as well?

Thanks surfarthur and seemore.

Yep JPY 47,000 each for the meal, drinks & service.

Accommodation & breakfast was extra - JPY 18,000 each.

Definitely for a very special occasion and a very special person.

Did you pop the question? ;)

You mean, "It's your turn to pay isn't it Nerys?" or "Shall we go Dutch/betsu betsu?" ;)

Nice photos Mike, though they're making me hungry!! :D

DAY 121 : FRIDAY 15 MARCH 2013

6 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 4

After an early morning onsen we breakfasted at Gilligan's restaurant.

Nerys chose the continental breakfast and I went with the Japanese Breakfast.

Breakfast was included in the nightly rate of JPY 18,000 each

The Menu

Local apple and 'komatsuna' vegetable juice

Seasonal fresh vegetables with Japanese citron and miso sauce

Honey pickled Kishu plum with Yoichi fish and wasabi seasoned seaweed

Original Date black soybean 'natto'

The Windsor Hotel TOYA 'Poromoi' raw egg

Grilled fish of the day

Japanese omelet with pickles

'Shiitake' mushroom and lotus meatball

Homemade tofu made with Minami Sorachi soy beans with salt, wasabi and virgin olive oil

Special blended rice: Nanatsuboshi, Yumepirika, Koshihikari

Miso soup with Date miso and local seafood

Roasted green tea from Kyoto

MikePow_2285.jpg

The perfect way to start the day!

With no new snow and patchy sunlight we decided not to ski Windsor Snow Village today.

We drove down to the lake past Mt. Usu and through Sobetsu town to the Orofure ski area but unfortunately it's only open on weekends.

Back in the car we continued over Orofure Pass towards Noboribetsu and skied at Sun Laiva instead.

Sun Laiva is a small ski hill with 3 lifts and 7 pistes set in a wide valley with spectacular views of the mountains and the ocean.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=408

http://www.sanlaiva.com/

The sun was out, the snow on the groomed runs was perfect, and the slopes were deserted.

MikePow_2286.jpg

The perfect day to let rip, and Nerys did.

Roadrunner

We've been playing with the Ski Tracks app - thanks Susie Sounds - and Nerys hit her top speed of the trip to date on the run above.

MikePow_2287.jpg

The Sun Laiva ski patrol are very strict about skiing off the groomed runs which is a great shame as the terrain is excellent.

Steep, consistent and long pitches, open bowls, great spacing in the trees.

You can access this terrain if you tour / hike above the top lift, and it's well worth the effort.

DAY 122 : SATURDAY 16 MARCH 2013

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 5

For Nerys' fifth day on snow we headed to her fifth resort of this trip and her first visit to Moiwa.

Warmer today with grey skies.

The groomed runs were fast and smooth. The off groomed inconsistent with a 2-5cm melt freeze crust on top of 20-30 cm of porridge.

Another big step today with Nerys making short radius turns on steeper and narrower terrain.

She skied her first 30 degree slope.

For dinner we went to A-bu-cha 2. As always a great meal with plenty of theatre.

DAY 123 : SUNDAY 17 MARCH 2013

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

THE ROYAL VISIT - DAY 6

We set the alarm for 1.50 am to watch Wales' final match of the 6N rugby tournament.

The opponents, our nemesis England.

A win would have England winning the championship unbeaten - the Grand Slam.

A victory for Wales by more than 7 points would spoil England's party and give Wales the championship for the second year in a row.

Our internet connection crapped out so Nerys & I dressed quickly, drove to Sekka in Hirafu, and watched the match on my tablet in the car park using their wi-fi.

But it was worth the effort with Wales thrashing England 30-3 and taking the 6N championship.

We got back to bed at 4.30, had a lie in until 10 am and woke to sunshine and blue skies.

Today's destination was Chisenupuri, a 1-lift wonder about 30 mins drive from Hirafu.

Unfortunately it's due to close for good at the end of this season, and with the car park full but the slopes deserted it wasn't hard to work out way.

The lift takes you to the foot of Mt. Chisenupuri and the start to some easily accessible ski touring ascents and wonderful descents.

At just JPY 400 for 1 ride up the lift the ski area has become a gateway not a destination.

Nerys and I got a 4-hr ticket - JPY 2,200 each - and had the slopes to ourselves for most of that time.

There's an army base adjacent to the ski area and the mountain division soldiers joined us for a couple of runs.

There are some great views from the top of the lift

Mt. Chisenupuri

MikePow_2288.jpg

Mt. Shirakaba and Mt. Syakunage

MikePow_2289.jpg

The 'back bowls' of Mt. Annupuri

MikePow_2290.jpg

Nerys was very relaxed on the mixed spring conditions found on the groomed runs

MikePow_2291.jpg

so we headed off piste progressing to skiing the trees down to the geothermal pools of Yukichichibu Onsen.

Today was all about patience at the start of the turn and being light on your feet and not breaking through the melt freeze crust.

MikePow_2292.jpg

MikePow_2293.jpg

MikePow_2294.jpg

MikePow_2295.jpg

MikePow_2296.jpg

For dinner we had wonderful seafood okonomi-yaki and oyster negi-yaki in a small restaurant on the t-junction to Annupuri.