• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

DAY 99 : THURSDAY 21 FEBRUARY 2013

18 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

What started out as a calm and snowy morning filled with expectation soon turned in to another wild one at Niseko Hiraphoon.

Swinging Monkey was the highest lift running and the wind had turned the powder to porridge in Miharashi, Kona Yuki and the old lift line.

Much better turns were had in 'Desperation' and Hanazono would have been the pick in Niseko United today.

Called it quits early and enjoyed a great lunch at Prativo in Higashiyma.

Snowing hard as I type.

Hopefully Kiroro will deliver tomorrow.

DAY 100 : FRIDAY 22 FEBRUARY 2013

24 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 1404 cm (553") has fallen at MQ

For my 100th day on Fantasy Island and my 75th day on snow it had to be Kiroro.

And Kiroro did not disappoint.

The place was deserted with powder everywhere.

Which made it very disappointing to see guiding companies from the Niseko Resort Area leading customers under ropes to access the goods.

Quite frankly they should know better.

Ian in 'Hangman'

MikePow_2198.jpg

MikePow_2199.jpg

MikePow_2200.jpg

Faceshot Friday Part Deux

(Ian in green, yours truly in blue)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF2WcsaICFQ

Great Vids Mike!

A while back I was going to ask if you took video footage but my question was answered.

It seems like your free skiing with mates - not working which may have something to do with more vid?

This year I only visited Kiroro for quick visit but with your recent footage will definetly have to go back

(and prob hire a guide - hopefully to show me some of those spots you get to ) :friend: It was snowing very hard

(great snow but poor vis) when I was there so very difficult to explore safely.

What would the traverses/ walk outs be like - (for snowboarders)?

Great Vids Mike!

A while back I was going to ask if you took video footage but my question was answered.

It seems like your free skiing with mates - not working which may have something to do with more vid?

Thanks Rucky Inu.

I've taken video of myself and my students throughout the winter.

Ian is a mate and a student and the person who I ski with most over the course of the winter.

And the most proficient, as can be seen from the latest video.

This year I only visited Kiroro for quick visit but with your recent footage will definetly have to go back

(and prob hire a guide - hopefully to show me some of those spots you get to ) :friend: It was snowing very hard

(great snow but poor vis) when I was there so very difficult to explore safely.

What would the traverses/ walk outs be like - (for snowboarders)?

Wise choice. You can get into a lot of bother if you don't know the terrain and the ins and outs.

The tracks out can be tricky on a board - a few boarders were walking out yesterday - but if you're prepared to go fast through narrow spaces then you'll be ok.

DAY 101 : SATURDAY 23 FEBRUARY 2013

13 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

After yesterday's epicness it was back to Kiroro for more.

And there was plenty, even on a Saturday.

Ian warming up in 'Walk in the Woods'

MikePow_2201.jpg

MikePow_2202.jpg

The hold Hokkaido powder has on us

Saturday Sonar

DAY 102 : SUNDAY 24 FEBRUARY 2013

4 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

A day off snow and a trip to New Chitose Airport to pick up my college friend Andrew, who's over for a week's skiing.

We last skied together in 2006 when I was working at Keystone, Colorado.

We got back to Higashiyama just before the snow started and it was coming down thick and fast.

Dinner at Soga on the way to Niseko town was delicious and a great introduction to Hokkaido cuisine for Andrew.

DAY 103 : MONDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2013

17 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

After a good night's kip Andrew was raring to go skiing.

For his first day on snow in 3 winters we chose Rusutsu.

Perfect to get mileage under his feet with wide open, deserted groomed runs.

He really took to my syle of teaching and by day's end was venturing off the groomed runs and in the trees.

And on a pair of Volkl 724 skis (114-74-101 in a 163cm length).

Rusutsu Rush Hour

DAY 104 : TUESDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2013

38 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

32 cm of dry powder fell in the space of a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and last night's 'Nighta' was one for the ages by all accounts.

Under clear skies Ian, Andrew and I headed to Kiroro today to see what had fallen there.

Kiroro is quiet at the best of times, but today it was deserted.

Andrew and Ian on the Yoichi #1-A Course

MikePow_2203.jpg

After yesterday's excellent progress Andrew kicked it up several notches today, getting to grips with the powder.

In the AM we lapped the Yoichi #1-A and Yoichi #1-B courses with Andrew getting more comfortable in the fall line, standing taller each run, and becoming more patient at the start of the turn.

MikePow_2204.jpg

MikePow_2205.jpg

And in the PM we skied the Nagamine area and POWDER ZONE before finishing with two laps in 'Walk in the Woods'.

From tentative boot top powder to relaxed waist deep turns for Andrew today

MikePow_2206.jpg

MikePow_2207.jpg

MikePow_2208.jpg

Ian skiing 3pm untracked

MikePow_2209.jpg

MikePow_2210.jpg

Before I managed to film the inside of my backpack and fill up the SD card I got this footage of Andrew enjoying the early sunshine

Special K

DAY 105 : WEDNESDAY 27 FEBRUARY 2013

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

A great day at Niseko Annupuri with Andrew and Ian.

The groomed runs were fast and smooth and the powder in the trees and out of Gate 7 was creamy, spongy and very enjoyable.

We had the buffet lunch, and for dinner another excellent meal at Ezo Seafoods in Hirafu.

Crab, Oysters, deep fried Smelt, grilled squid, salad, rice, and tempura vegetables.

Delicious.

DAY 106 : THURSDAY 28 FEBRUARY 2013

6 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

February brought 395 cm (156") of snowfall with snow falling on 23 of the 28 days.

The biggest 24 hr snowfall was 38 cm (15") on 26 February, and this was the snowiest February in the seven winters I've been keeping records.

With the wind picking up as we breakfasted, Andrew and I headed to Kiroro.

It snowed all day with the turns getting deeper and deeper each lap.

High winds closed the gondola and the Nagamine lifts early but there was plenty of skiing on the lower mountain.

Big changes for Andrew today.

He was far more comfortable skiing the crud and powder, balancing with the pitch of the slope and showing patience at the start of the turn allowing the platform under his feet to develop.

By day's end he was skiing mid-thigh to waist deep powder in 'Walk in the Woods'.

MikePow_2211.jpg

MikePow_2212.jpg

MikePow_2213.jpg

MikePow_2214.jpg

MikePow_2215.jpg

One Step Closer

Ian joined us for dinner at Maccarina, the 1-star Michelin restaurant in Makkari.

This was my third visit this winter and each time the experience and food has been superb.

Andrew

MikePow_2216.jpg

The first course

MikePow_2217.jpg

The local Makkari delicacy of lily bulbs poached in milk & garlic was on the menu last night and it was wonderful.

MikePow_2218.jpg

Octopus

MikePow_2219.jpg

Beef & pork andouille sausage

MikePow_2220.jpg

Venison

MikePow_2221.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2222.jpg

Andrew

MikePow_2223.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2224.jpg

• Like 1

It's great when you see someone go from being tentative to confident in brilliant snow. My kids friends are starting to come over each year now, and a with the right gear and bit of coaching they suddenly just rip into it.

• Like 1

DAY 107 : FRIDAY 01 MARCH 2013

11 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Happy St. David's Day (he's the Patron Saint of Wales)

For Andrew's last day of skiing we returned to Kiroro hoping for more of what we had on our last runs yesterday.

Unfortunately the North Wind had other ideas making the powder heavy and slabby and dislodging medicine ball sized chunks of snow from the trees which lay in wait ready to take you down.

And down I went, executing several "double over the handlebars to where the hell are my skis?" manoeuvres, including one at the end of the last clip on the vid unfortunately.

There were moments of brilliance on the lower mountain but when the upper lifts started closing concentrating today's skiers and snowboarders to the terrain off the Yoichi #1 Express and the Center Express the powder soon got trashed.

Trashed being the operative word as the groups of back seat banana skiers over from the Niseko Resort Area created bombholes slamming on the brakes trying to get the tankers through the tighter trees.

And the guiding companies leading customers under ropes past 'KEEP OUT' signs is getting out of hand and taking the piss in my opinion.

There's more than enough off-piste terrain available without the need to duck the ropes and wind up the Kiroro patrollers, unless you're a lazy snowboarding "guide" that is.

The wind finally won and the mountain closed at 3.45

Where Were You Hiding When The Storm Broke?

Andrew, Ian & I had dinner at Yosaku yakitori restaurant in Hirafu.

Fabulous grilled meats and poultry, edamame, and tofu with quick and cheery service.

Well worth a visit when you're in the village.

DAY 108 : SATURDAY 02 MARCH 2013

15 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 1513 cm (596") has fallen at MQ

We left for New Chitose Airport at 4.30 in the am for Andrew to catch his 8am flight to Tokyo and then on to Edinburgh.

The airport was closed last night due to high winds but the drive in this morning was calm and clear and he took off on time.

Great to ski with Andrew again after a seven year hiatus, and great to see the progress he made after only five days of skiing.

Many thanks to Ian for joining us on the slopes, skiing with Andrew at Annupuri, organising our dinners and regaling us with Niseko tales, and loaning us the Contour POV camera to capture Andrew in action.

There's a blizzard raging as I type with the wind forecast to hit 80 kph. Thankfully Andrew got away before it started.

A good day to kick back and watch movies.

DAY 109 : SUNDAY 03 MARCH 2013

9 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

After yesterday's all day blizzard I wasn't expecting much from Kiroro today.

A day of groomers and the odd patch of non-wind affected snow maybe.

I love it when I'm so wrong.

The first couple of turns of each pitch were wind scoured and firm but once over the rollover the snow invited you in.

And we accepted that invitation.

Ian and I skied with Hamilton and Nick today and 'Hangman' was rather nice

Nick making waves

MikePow_2225.jpg

Hamilton

MikePow_2226.jpg

MikePow_2227.jpg

MikePow_2228.jpg

MikePow_2229.jpg

Ian

MikePow_2230.jpg

Nick