• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 3 : SATURDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2012   0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     Pulled an all nighter watching Wales lose to Samoa in rugby and then had a relaxing, indoor day avoiding the torrential rain a

DAY 1 : THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012   Back on Fantasy Island, and picked up at New Chitose Airport by long time skiing partner Ian MacKenzie.   Great to see him and great to be back.   Just over a

DAY 5 : MONDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2012   23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ     5am alarm and the snow was still coming down.   It took me longer than I'd anticipated to get my kit together which meant out

Well, obviously I would be walking around with my full name emblazoned across both the front and the back of my jacket... and on my cap as well. (obviously) I just like the idea of someone saying, "Hey, there goes Mr. WOW!"

Are we sure that Ian MacKenzie of Niseko WOW is the same Ian MacKenzie of last year?

Ian MacKenzie of Niseko WOW does seem to have a lot less hair. from what I can recall.

Perhaps last year it wasn't Ian MacKenzie of Niseko WOW?

I'm curious, I was wondering this before when you posted about Ian MacKenzie of Niseko WOW, as I remember him just being a dull Ian MacKenzie last year.

Has Ian MacKenzine of Niseko WOW changed his name legally to Ian MacKenzine of Niseko WOW?

Which bit is his surname? Is he Mr of Niseko WOW, or is his Mr MacKenzie of Niseko WOW.

And is is ok to call him Ian MacKanzie of Niseko Wow without the capitals, or is that not an appropriate promotional message?

Ian is a friend, a student, and as I type the person / company organising the Lovelocks and Craig's Hokkaido holiday.

ewww is Ian MacKenzie from Niseko WOW picking up the raw meat and then pickng up the cooked meat with the same chopsticks? OK with beef, but not for pork or chicken.

Edited for you.

Just joshing. :friend:

I hadn't given it a thought, but since you harped on about Niseko WOW, I went to have a look. Seems fair enough for people wanting to be handheld for a trip to Niseko.

I spesh like the accomodation section.

Mate I think it's great people who go and catch up with Mike and mates seem to get to ski great pow and have a good time having a guide who helps with technique and shows you the best of the area is great (it obviously works he has spent years there while we dream the dream)

He should stop taking people to Rusutsu though :)

DAY 63 : WEDNESDAY 16 JANUARY 2013

26 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 912 cm (359") has fallen at MQ

Just 5 cm of new snow at Rusutsu, so a much needed and welcome day off snow and a day trip to Lake Toya, Mt Usu, and the Windsor Hotel with the Lovelocks, Craig and Ian.

First stop, snow at the beach at Toyako Spa

MikePow_1906.jpg

MikePow_1907.jpg

MikePow_1908.jpg

Then on to Mt Usu Geothermal Park

MikePow_1909.jpg

MikePow_1910.jpg

MikePow_1911.jpg

In the car park we saw this brand new solitary Sorrel sitting in the snow

MikePow_1912.jpg

Looking down on to Lake Toya

MikePow_1913.jpg

MikePow_1914.jpg

Even found some steep terrain. A bit rocky though

MikePow_1915.jpg

MikePow_1916.jpg

Then it was up the Mt Usu Ropeway to see the after-effects of the volcanic eruptions

MikePow_1917.jpg

MikePow_1918.jpg

MikePow_1919.jpg

MikePow_1920.jpg

Hayden, Craig and Alex enjoying the sledding

MikePow_1921.jpg

MikePow_1922.jpg

MikePow_1923.jpg

MikePow_1924.jpg

MikePow_1925.jpg

The 1977-82 Eruption

MikePow_1926.jpg

Don't Feed the Animals!

MikePow_1927.jpg

The weather closed in on our way down so no pics of the Windsor Hotel ski slopes, but I plan on heading back there in March to ski it so will get pics then.

A great day out with many different experiences.

Mt Usu Ropeway

http://wakasaresort.com/usuzan/en/index.html

Windsor Hotel

http://www.lhw.com/Hotel/The-Windsor-Hotel-Toya-Resort-Spa-Hokkaido-Japan

Thanks snowjunky.

DAY 64 : THURSDAY 17 JANUARY 2013

24 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Neglible new snow in Rusutsu but 50 cm at village level in the Niseko Resort Area in the past 48 hrs.

So Ian brought the Lovelocks and Craig over from Rusutsu and we skied Moiwa for the third time this trip.

I didn't think we could better the first visit to Moiwa on 10 January (scoll back) but we did today.

The benefit of having transportation and local knowledge.

Ria on the 'warm-up run'

MikePow_1928.jpg

Alex on the 'warm-up run'

MikePow_1929.jpg

Neil on the 'warm-up run'

MikePow_1930.jpg

And then it started dumping and getting deeper each run.

I tried to get pics of Neil and Craig skiing the trees skier's right of the quad but it was snowing so heavily the camera was focussing on the snowflakes

You get the idea though!

Neil

MikePow_1931.jpg

At day's end it eased off a little and I managed to catch Craig and Alex getting deep

Craig

MikePow_1932.jpg

MikePow_1933.jpg

MikePow_1934.jpg

Alex

MikePow_1935.jpg

MikePow_1936.jpg

This was the deepest snow the Lovelocks and Craig have ever skied.