Hi Japan fans. :wave:

Not been yet but hope too.

Just wondering is it about even popularity skiing.boarding over there and which if any is getting more popular?

I hear Japan is big on "trends", so suppose there's always a juggling of popularity.

Hi there you nutjob!

It took a while for places to allow snowboarders in the early 90s but almost all are ok with that now.

Boarding really took off, though I reckon it's balanced out now.

Some places more popular with boarders, or skiers, than others.

Comparing to other places (and this is generalizing)

Snowboarding is much more mainstream in Japan. Heaps of people do it. No one is looking through their nose at you because you are rocking one plank instead of two.

I was completely comfortable in Japan.

Lots of skis about too though... And some very cool fat rockered ones. Would love to give them a go.

I would guess in lots of places now there's more boarding than skiing going on.

Some places, like Happo and Zao, seem to be places that attract skiers more.

Same with other places and boarding of course.

Some of the places I have been too only allow skiers, others skiers and borders, Some have more boarders than skiers, and some have been the other way around.

The terrain, as much as anything I think is what determines which their will be the most of.

I remember when there were so few boarders out there though.

That has of course changed quite a lot now.

Where I live in Furano there seems to be fairly even numbers of skiers and boarders, but what is suprising is the number of telemarkers we seem to have on the mountain. Its mainly the locals but they are more numerous than in any other country I've skied in.

Must be a Sayama thing, MO. ;)

You jest, perhaps, but actually yes, I did see a telemarker dude there when I went there.

There also seems to be a monoskier who always turns out for the Grandeco opening weekend. Not to be seen after that. (Though I did see a monoskier at Mt. JEANS mid-season this year when the roads to Fukushima were closed due to snow... Same guy? Or just a similarly dedicated fanatic who went wherever he could?)