Which resort is best for shopping/ sightseeing

Unfortunately, you can't have it all.

I beg to differ

Base yourself in Otaru for a wide selection of hotels & dining, and loads of shopping. Even has a cinema. And Sapporo is only 30 mins or so on the train.

In February Otaru has the Snow Light Festival and Sapporo has the Snow Festival.

Teine, Sapporo Kokusai and Kiroro are all within 45 mins of Otaru.

Either take public transportation (bus to Kokusai and Kiroro, train to Teine) or rent a car.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I beg to differ too.

seemore, if you are open to widening the net in that way, why not stay in Nagano city and ski in Myoko or Nozawa or Hakuba or Sugadaira, or even Tokyo and ski in Yuzawa?

Loads of shopping in Nagano and Tokyo I reckon, and there's public transport to take you to the ski resorts.

Tons of 'em too.

Hardly ski towns though. ;)

Yeah, tons of shopping and cultural stuff in Nagano city and tons of ski resorts faily closeby.

But it's hardly staying in a ski resort like you originally requested is it.

It's far from being a Zermatt style ski town experience.

Some people might be up for it though I suppose.

Seemore,

A lot cheaper than skiing in Australia :D

But probably a little more than Japan - depending on what you are comparing.

Our accomodation was probably similar level and type and similar price.

Food was probably similarly priced except for one hideously expensive and foul meal we had (in Zermatt)

Lift tickets probably abou the same as Niseko prices, not as cheap as Hakuba.

Alcohol...more expensive.

Rail...about the same (we got a rail pass).

Airfares - depends when you book doesn't it.

My Japan flights were horrendous this year, and via the east coast.

But our Euro flights weren't cheap - we went PE part of way. (and got a business upgrade on the bit we didn't go PE - thank Qantas!)

Whistler would be a perfect option.

In Japan as has been pointed out the only compromise option would be to stay in a city and travel to nearby resorts.

Unfortunately, you can't have it all.

I beg to differ

Base yourself in Otaru for a wide selection of hotels & dining, and loads of shopping. Even has a cinema. And Sapporo is only 30 mins or so on the train.

In February Otaru has the Snow Light Festival and Sapporo has the Snow Festival.

Teine, Sapporo Kokusai and Kiroro are all within 45 mins of Otaru.

Either take public transportation (bus to Kokusai and Kiroro, train to Teine) or rent a car.

Personally I wouldn't recommend that.

It's a compromise, unless you like the hassle of hour long transport to your skijo there and back each day.

Sounds like you need to go without her, unless you choose a proper ski resort place like has been said Zermatt.

And can I just add there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking separate holidays!

I have had quite a few girlfriends try to tell me it is asking for cheating trouble ... Ummm... Only if there is a problem in the relationship already.

PB and I thankfully happen to love the same things in a ski resort, so going together is a great option.

But we still take boys trips and girls trips - when they are to the snow there is a little bit of green eyed jelly going on for the person at home; but it is all good.

I recommend a powder trip one year without her (send her to Bali or similar) and the next year a Euro trip with her.

I reckon there's a bit of "hope" in that comment about "only if there is a problem already", Mamabear.

Don't overestimate males in such situations.

I think seperate holidays are great I don't think I would get away with going on a boys golf trip to Thailand (I don't play golf for one) but if it is a surf or snow trip then she is fine as thats'what I am there for (and who would look at a greying wrinkly gaijin).

I would encorourage my wife to go a way with the girls (apart from how much money she spends) as absence makes the heart grow fonder)

Seemore

I reckon there's a bit of "hope" in that comment about "only if there is a problem already", Mamabear.

Don't overestimate males in such situations.

Sometimes I think we underestimate men too much.

I've seen plenty of cheating going on around me; and growing apart. But it never was caused by the separate vacations - it was something that would have happened anyway. It won't destabilize a solid relationship, but of course it is the perfect environment if things are not rock solid.

For Seemore, if he had to give up his Japow to take his wife to snow shopping Mecca, then he might get resentful. However by taking her to snow shopping Mecca he is using the spoonful of sugar approach to introduce her to his passion....and you never know...she might learn to LOVE the ski fields and join him Japow hunting. That could be very beneficial to thier relationship in the long term.

Maybe my generous views are a product of being married to a good man for 23 years ;)

If you really wanted to do the "based in a city and ship out to ski", Nagano beats Otaru hands down.

Bigger city, tons of shopping, nice temples and great places like Myoko, Nozawa, SK etc all within an hour or so.

I'd reckon Sapporo would be better than Nagano city. Teine is on the doorstep, Rusutsu is a car ride away as is a good few other resorts, Kiroro etc. Sapporo is a great place, I really enjoyed it. I have a mate up there and he rides Rusutsu and Teine religiously.

Depends really on what the dude wants.

But it's pretty clear that Japan doesn't really do the skiing+shopping thing well together.

I really want to check out Zermatt one day, though not for the shopping! ;)

Depends really on what the dude wants.

But it's pretty clear that Japan doesn't really do the skiing+shopping thing well together.

I really want to check out Zermatt one day, though not for the shopping! ;)

It's for the bars isn't it Hokkaidough ;)

I have just booked Rusutsu and convinced her to have another go.

I think next year though I won't get away with it.

Jan 22nd-31st if anyone is going next year.

Seemore

Seemore

Have fun!

I was planning on going over in early Feb, however now the young'un will be training in Shiga Kogen end of Feb...but I won't be able to go with him as it is too close to the state election (working full time ++ by then)... Grrrrrr... Not sure when I will get over. Maybe end of March as a 'Thank God that's over' treat.

If you get the vibe you won't get away with it next year, start planning Euro for 2014 and pitch it to the wife highlighting the off snow activities. There is this awesome flying fox in Grindelwald that goes from Gondola station to Gondola station - I am terrified of heights, almost passed out with fear at the top, but it was WICKED fun! And even I (the non shopper) shopped!

Seemore

If you enjoy fine dining try the Maccarina 1 Star Michelin restaurant in Makkari and a day trip to the Windsor Hotel in Lake Toya. The Michel Bras restaurant has the highest 3 Star Michelin rating.