The FOOTBALL Thread (2012-2013)

England were bloody awful and really should not have been able to drag the game anywhere near penalties.

Though it makes for an amusing story for them to 'crash out' at that stage again.

Was good to see Scumbag Cole miss, but would have been much better if we could have seen Main Scumbag Terry miss!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Images coming in from Man Utd  

Breaking News!   Apparently, Robin Van Persie has failed a medical at Manchester United. He has a severely damaged back after carrying a full squad last season.

Yey.   Beer and snacks ready  

Terribly poor performance aside in which Italy certainly deserved to win, surely the penalty thing is making a mockery of the laws of probabiliy.

:lol:

_61113906_top-5-passers-both-eng-ita.jpg

On another forum, someone quoted a guy from the Independent saying the England player with the most successful passes was Joe Hart.

Oh well, another tournament, same old problems. A lot of hustle and bustle, but no real quality and no England player upped their game.

I don't think many people were realistically expecting much from England.

Media aside, I don't think that many have been that excited either.

Which is kind of a change really.

Translation of England managers comments, courtest of Bob from Mrs Miggins Olde Pie Shoppe:

The England manager said that his team had “given their all”......

TRANSLATION >> "gambatta, sort of"

but were “maybe not quite good enough” to defeat Italy and progress to the semi-finals....

TRANSLATION >> "as expected, they were just shite"

They exited Euro 2012, Hodgson said, with “their heads held high”.

TRANSLATION >>> "stretching to look up enviously towards more talented teams"

------

Don't worry, I'm sure the players will all be back in their huge mansions and/or Barbados/Dubai by now.

Does practicing penalties actually do any good?

Or would they just be as good going out there without any of that nonsense and kicking it?

I saw the bbc coverage and Lineker said that while Joe Hart had watched every Italian penalty from the last ten years, Buffon had just "watched naughty videos in his hotel room".

Regarding the bbc's coverage, the most popular comment on one of the Guardian blogs it is

Mark Lawrenson is the most negative (not just about England, but life in general), condescending prick ever to commentate on football. Can't stand him.

Ultimately I think England should be thankful they got that flukey Walcott goal against Sweden. They didn't really look like getting back into that game.

On to far more interesting news.

Kagawa signs for United, turns down the Number 7 shirt, and enjoys some fruit and snacks on a lovely table cloth

Mjqug.jpg

Seriously though, he seems like a really decent lad. Looking forward to seeing him play and hope he does well.

Found this on 365 about Rooney which seems about right:

John Nicholson wrote a piece suggesting he should not have been pushed straight back into the England side when available, and his performances against Ukraine and Italy certainly suggest that was a solid theory. He looked unfit, nowhere near as sharp as he needs to be and had the look of a man who'd just been given some vexing news, unable to concentrate and playing in the middle of some sort of mental fug. He spent the evening constantly chasing his own poor first touch. And this is the problem with Rooney - he has these spells where, for whatever reason, he barely looks like a professional footballer. For such a brilliant player, he doesn't half look like a dreadful player sometimes, and there's apparently no way of predicting which Rooney will play. You just sort of pick him and hope Dr Jekyll runs out.

TBF I didn't think that Rooney was given much service, both him and wellbeck were forced to come very deep looking for the ball. The Italians strolled around and passed the ball to their hearts content. Pirlo was quality for them, just sitting in front of the defence and sweeping up any loose balls and stroking them around the field to his teammates. Ballotelli had 2 great chances to score when he beat the offside trap. Joe Hart WAS making faces, he was quoted beforehand as saying he'd do a "Grobbelar" if they went to pens.....perhaps there should be an investigation for match fixing! :D

:lol:

Another semi-final decided by penalties.

What are the chances the other one this time and the final too all go to the PK.

I'm a bit sick of watching never-ending matches. It makes you want to cheer on the Jormans :omg: because they are dynamic and create chances.

Without Villa (and Messi for this comparison), Spain are more Swansea than Barcelona. A team that knocks it about but doesn't really get anywhere.