Help ipps find a skijo job (the moaning about your job thread)

Turns out my company just sent me 100,000 yen pay cheque for april. The only explanation is that theyve finally enacted the whole term time pay. (70% of standard salary wages... no punishment deductions, just a straight flat deduction from my salary).

I sent them a nice mail basically saying i resign as of the end of July, so im on the hunt. Time to move to yuzawa/nagano/hokkaido/yamagata/gunma/gifu/niigata (delete as applicable). Truth is probs gonna go to gifu/nagano area since its where everyone i know is. So sad to say goodbye to kagura/naeba after only a season though. But honestly. would you work for 100k yen take home?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Certainly sounds interesting ippy!   The missing thing isn't "breasts" is it?

He'd probably given up all hope once he'd found out she was going out with a gaijin anyway!

Im afraid i never once... actually hang on, Im pretty sure i visited pittodrie for some whackaday reason when i was living in lossiemouth. I also had a flash back from a shire horse visit and the harl

Good luck man!

If this deduction thing is not in your contract, try the General Workers Union. They've helped teachers at eikaiwas in the past. You don't have to be a member.

Rent is already paid. Its take-home so not quite as awful as it might sound (though its pretty bad in truth).

And its in the contract, it was also there in last years contract but i made the choice to sign this one because regardless of it, there were no deductions for dec/jan hols so i assumed it was just a back covering thing for them. Truth is though i wouldnt pursue a case anyway even if i had grounds since i like the company and the people that work for it, plus it means that now im considered a term by term employee that i wont feel bad for breaking my year contract (since it doesnt actually exist) like i would have if it was a straight year contract.

They did say theyll see what they can do, but if they want to keep me theyre paying for it since my contract as of august is now under review as far as im concerned (im going to push them for an all or nothing 40k/month pay increase if they try to keep me since id rather be in nagano anyways :)).

• 2 months later...

Job going at chikuma. I have it if i want it apparently. Ive got a day to make up my mind.

Pay is 240,000yen/month. Same company i work with but no deductions for holidays. Have to re-set up my house and all that, but that means i could theoreticaly live somewhere like shinonoi and commute (or i could even live in nagano and commute). Whaddaya reckons. Truth is, i knew summer was a bit of a messy time to switch, but kinda had to.

Benefits:

1. No term time contract so all vacations free.

2. 10k/month extra.

3. Nagano on my doorstep.

4. No need to interview

5. I like the nagano suprvisor. Shes lovely.

6. August 20th start.

7. Ill have a job and can stop worrying about maybe not having a job well into september.

Drawbacks:

1. Punitive clauses in contract. No byokyu or nenkyu (if you miss a day sick then you lose your 'performance bonus (10k) and the pay for that day (10k) (hate that).

2. No housing, so will have to set it up again (bye bye what little money i have).

3. Pay is still crappy. Also dont get full august pay obviously, and will lose pay when i quit (paid to last working day).

On balance im veering towards yes, just because i hate gambling (its the reason i live in the world of dead end jobs to be honest) and there doesnt seem all that much available.

I kinda hoped that once the boe's had finalised their contracts things might change, but nothings moved, and nothing is appearing on the horizon... Im also a day from being homeless in japan (though dont mind that to be honest), but it certainly adds to the pressure to just take the first thing im offered.

Someone somewhere scored the iizuna contract, but it wasnt the cats i work for alas. I wish i knew who... i want that gig. :)

ive got a year left on my visa so i assume until it runs out in truth. Though im offically "camping" rather than being homeless per se :)

ive got a year left on my visa so i assume until it runs out in truth. Though im offically "camping" rather than being homeless per se :)

You might want to check that ippy. (Or then again, you might not want to!!)

I'm curious as to what the situation is legally there.

If you're near some decent ski-jos then I reckon those pros outweigh the cons, though obviously it's a different ball game outside the winter season. I love living in Japan but for me the biggest draw is the snowboarding, so it depends on where your PRIORities lie! ;)

I'm pretty sure visas for Japan are not job dependent. That is, you can leave the job and the visa doesn't automatically expire. That's just a threat unscrupulous employers may throw at you.

It`s going back a few years, but my ex had an H1 for the US and was told she'd be an "illegal" if she didn't leave the country within seven days of quitting the job she was sponsored for.

instructor. And the visa is all good. Its aint korea (which is dependent on the job and is a weapon that unscrupulous employers really will use against you).

• 1 month later...

When i get sacked, and im obviously not saying i will, but when i do, what dyou reckon i should do? Ski Jo and then back to korea? Or stick with japan where i seem to lose money every day i seem to be living here?

Or stick with japan where i seem to lose money every day i seem to be living here?

As long as you are living such a life of debauchery - involving triplet Japanese sisters and a full on rock and roll lifestyle - then surely it's worth it.

well when you put it like that...

I guess im off back to korea :) I forget the buggers also give you a WELCOME TO KOREA payment! :)

Just got to time the whole criminal records check (its only valid for 6 months) and prep my apostilles then.