Help ipps find a skijo job (the moaning about your job thread)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Certainly sounds interesting ippy!   The missing thing isn't "breasts" is it?

He'd probably given up all hope once he'd found out she was going out with a gaijin anyway!

Im afraid i never once... actually hang on, Im pretty sure i visited pittodrie for some whackaday reason when i was living in lossiemouth. I also had a flash back from a shire horse visit and the harl

Since we had a shogakko lesson plan meeting today, if the company i work for dont get a phone call from the BoE ill assume things are currently adequate :)

As for the job, it doesnt really bother me. Im a good alt, ill get another no problem. Im just kinda sick of throwing away my savings every time i move. This past year ive been really fighting bad wages (on average id say about 130,000-140,000 take home per month once deductions for days off and the massive disruption of my pay cheque in general from pro rata wages are taken into account) so its been pretty hard to come away with any savings once you throw snowboarding into the mix :)

All i need is a job where i can chill out for a year and a half to two years on subsidised rent and have a nice little pension refund nest egg waiting for me at the end of it (since i now have to pay into that). Im tired of moving around and blowing it all. I figured id found the perfect little set up to be honest. Love the location, perfect for snowboarding and saving. But theres a good chance that even if i placate the boe the company might feel that its in their interests in april to switch me with another ALT who speaks Japanese. And since their nearest ALTs are nowhere near here, it means yet another move and yet another setting up. :/ I dunno...

So here instead is the first woman i fell in love with.

even though you scupper your career prospects back home... (actually, torpedo might be more accurate), i still love the fact i get paid for this job. :) I get to live next to the mountains, i get to snowboard every weekend i want (and every holiday i want), i get an enormous amount of free time to do whatever i like, i get a wage where the biggest complaint is that i can only really save around $400/month. And i get to have a different experience every day. Were it not for the fact that i chose a subject that i cant really get a teaching license for back home, id definitely be doing this for life. Its honestly an amazing job. i just wish it was in a subject i loved instead of one that i genuinely despised for the vast brunt of my life (i hated languages even as a kid). You cant help but remember how lucky you are to get this job... even if it kinda sucks sometimes.

So here instead is the first woman i fell in love with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uai7M4RpoLU

I'm guessing it was her voice that attracted you? ;)

I know exactly what you mean about being in a job, the subject matter of which you hated at school! Funny how things pan out sometimes.

I've never worried about my "career prospects".

Bet you didn't tell your father-in-law-to-be that when you asked to marry his daughter! ;)

even though you scupper your career prospects back home... (actually, torpedo might be more accurate), i still love the fact i get paid for this job. :) I get to live next to the mountains, i get to snowboard every weekend i want (and every holiday i want), i get an enormous amount of free time to do whatever i like, i get a wage where the biggest complaint is that i can only really save around $400/month. And i get to have a different experience every day. Were it not for the fact that i chose a subject that i cant really get a teaching license for back home, id definitely be doing this for life. Its honestly an amazing job. i just wish it was in a subject i loved instead of one that i genuinely despised for the vast brunt of my life (i hated languages even as a kid). You cant help but remember how lucky you are to get this job... even if it kinda sucks sometimes.

I've got a friend who taught in Japan at Nova, went back home, took a PGCE and started on a higher pay grade as a teacher because eikaiwa in Japan counted as teaching experience.

When i was last in the UK i tried to get on a PCGE (2009 when EVERYONE decided to become a teacher to avoid the recession), but it turns out there arent any philosophy PGCEs and the only one with a golden hello (or rather, gave you a bursary to train for it) was religion. And amazingly no one wanted a philosophy grad for teaching religion. I got knocked back from every school i applied for. Would have been nice to get on one. I figured they would have taken anyone with a bit of a commitment to education and figured theyd have the competency to instruct to both GCSE and A level well enough, but i was massively wrong on that unfortunately. I might not be here today if id have gotten the gig. I could be teaching about multiculturalism and ethics or some shit to a bunch of 15 year old shits ready to stab me. A couple of my mates have already quit the game back in the UK. Zero job fulfillment apparently :)

I've got a friend who taught in Japan at Nova, went back home, took a PGCE and started on a higher pay grade as a teacher because eikaiwa in Japan counted as teaching experience.

not anymore it doesn't. They scoff at any english teaching experience.

fwiw, my mate was an English lit. graduate and she went on to teach English, mainly at A-level. She has since moved on to tutoring instead.

Is it true that the JET scheme is being replaced with local hires? The numbers on it sound like they are well down.

It all changed around my second year on JET. When i first arrived it was Tokyo and i think Osaka that were the only two places to have no Jets. Thats pretty much changed massively. Dispatch is everywhere and im seeing a lot more people on direct hire. I think 3 of the 4 ALTs in this part of the world are all direct hire by the BoE.