Mt Granview watch (or... the Japanese ski resort to watch for the 12/13 season)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's no doubt that Mt Granview is one of the Japanese ski resorts to watch in the run up to the 12/13 season.   After some epic days out this season by various members on here, including myself:

Well, I have been extremely busy working on some "concepts" for Mt Granview t-shirts.   After literally a few sleepless minutes of carefully thinking through the ideas and, indeed, throwing out some

Mt Granview doesn't need to stoop to such puff promotions.    

Wonder where "responsibility" would lie if a kind walked into one of those buildings and it collapsed on them.

Mountains tend to be pretty windy, so some of that wreckage could easily fly off and hit somebody or something. You wouldn't have to go very close.

Its a disgrace that this happens and the general indifference and inaction in response is depressing.

Bloody hell is there no law making people take down buildings in that condition? Surely it's a safety hazard?

I remember seeing a story on the news about this sort of thing a month or two ago. Forget the details, but it seems to be surprisingly hard to condemn and tear down an old, decrepit house. The town needs to find the owner and get their permission. Often the owner does not have the money to tear the old house down, and the removal of a "residential" structure (even if not practically habitable) would cause the tax on the land to shoot up (due to bubble-era anti-speculation tax rules), and the owner cannot afford the higher tax, so they just leave it in shambles. The town really needs to be prepared to buy out the owner (if locatable and willing) to be able to do anything about it.

It's a problem everywhere isn't it.

There's a right mess of an old building on our road actually, and no-one seems to be able to do anything about it.

Looks terrible and no-one likes it. Owner nowhere to be found.

In many other counties of the world those wrecked buildings would be inhabited by the homeless or squatters

Even in the inner suburbs of Brisbane, we get houses like that. It's because the owners are asset rich, cash poor, so while the land might be worth quite a bit, they don't have any money to get a project off the ground...

Bloody hell is there no law making people take down buildings in that condition? Surely it's a safety hazard?

I remember seeing a story on the news about this sort of thing a month or two ago. Forget the details, but it seems to be surprisingly hard to condemn and tear down an old, decrepit house. The town needs to find the owner and get their permission. Often the owner does not have the money to tear the old house down, and the removal of a "residential" structure (even if not practically habitable) would cause the tax on the land to shoot up (due to bubble-era anti-speculation tax rules), and the owner cannot afford the higher tax, so they just leave it in shambles. The town really needs to be prepared to buy out the owner (if locatable and willing) to be able to do anything about it.

It's a problem everywhere isn't it.

There's a right mess of an old building on our road actually, and no-one seems to be able to do anything about it.

Looks terrible and no-one likes it. Owner nowhere to be found.

If unlike Granview plenty of people are living where you are, the town should just seize the property and sell it to highest (or least low) bidder on condition that the plot gets cleared up. I doubt your absent owner will have been paying the taxes due on it, so they don't deserve to keep it.

In Japan, you can get away without paying your mortgage or taxes for ages before any action is taken. It only encourages places falling into ruin. It also means that the good citizens who do pay their taxes have to sit there are watch their town go to shit because the town won't deal with problems created by people who don't care and in most cases don't pay their taxes. Perhaps we should remember this the next time some amateur Japan watcher comes out with "nail that sticks out gets hammered down" line.

This place just gets better! Yes, it's sad to see those buildings in that state and makes me a little worried about the safety of the lifts, etc but overall, it just makes me want to go there even more! I hope the gondola doesn't ruin the oldy worldy feel and charm of the place!!

& I'm also thinking I should try to buy one of those buildings/plots so that I can finally have a ski-in/ski-out place of my own! :D

Thanks for posting the pix Muika! :thumbsup:

& I'm also thinking I should try to buy one of those buildings/plots so that I can finally have a ski-in/ski-out place of my own! :D

Go for it, Mick Rich! I'm sure you'll find a willing seller.

Mt. Granview: Catch a Whiff!TM

:thumbsup:

Where's that gondola going again?

The original "bubble" plan was from Shibuya to Mt Granview, but they have since re-thought it to be a still mega gondola going from Ishiuchi Hanaoka to Mt Granview, if I remember correctly.

I have never seen this place of course or even heard of it before you posted about it but it is very interesting.

Got to wonder what the books look like for a place like this.

I have never seen this place of course or even heard of it before you posted about it but it is very interesting.

Got to wonder what the books look like for a place like this.

fredgraph2.png?w=500