Mt Granview watch (or... the Japanese ski resort to watch for the 12/13 season)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's no doubt that Mt Granview is one of the Japanese ski resorts to watch in the run up to the 12/13 season.   After some epic days out this season by various members on here, including myself:

Well, I have been extremely busy working on some "concepts" for Mt Granview t-shirts.   After literally a few sleepless minutes of carefully thinking through the ideas and, indeed, throwing out some

Mt Granview doesn't need to stoop to such puff promotions.    

• 4 weeks later...

:lol:

Do you think the lady in the ticket office might still be asleep?

She wasn't (and perhaps isn't) sleeping, just resting her eyes, thinking of bygone days when The Big G was just plain old Mt G, before international fame came knocking on the door and mega-resort plans hit the drawing board.

:lol:

Do you think the lady in the ticket office might still be asleep?

She wasn't (and perhaps isn't) sleeping, just resting her eyes, thinking of bygone days when The Big G was just plain old Mt G, before international fame came knocking on the door and mega-resort plans hit the drawing board.

You'd think she'd be a bit more excited though hey?

Or perhaps just tired after all the excitement. Can't be full on all the time, only human.

OK folks, trip up to Mt Granview today.

Base was quiet

gallery_6744_185_30525.jpg

Up top though there was some action. First of all the main run up from base

gallery_6744_185_32084.jpg

But as you can see, diggers everywhere

gallery_6744_185_134035.jpg

gallery_6744_185_122403.jpg

Skijo Base

gallery_6744_185_218033.jpg

(not sure I'd like to be in the ski school building when there's a big quake!)

Mt Granview Tourism Association. This is probably where your calls and emails come in to

gallery_6744_185_218300.jpg

The rest area

gallery_6744_185_260100.jpg

Main lift

gallery_6744_185_195231.jpg

Road up to the top not in a good condition....

gallery_6744_185_426039.jpg

....so sadly we decided to not risk it. We did decide to hike up though one day in the future.

Some buildings obviously need a bit of attention, though no doubt included in the masterplan somewhere

gallery_6744_185_64622.jpg

gallery_6744_185_142401.jpg

gallery_6744_185_400507.jpg

gallery_6744_185_174794.jpg

gallery_6744_185_214642.jpg

The lift up to base from village level

gallery_6744_185_139893.jpg

We'll be back!

Looks better buried in snow.

As does everywhere hey?

I think the destroyed buildings must be because of the snow. Looks a right state to be honest. Very strange feeling up there. I would guess - and might be totally wrong - that 80% of the buildings up there are abandoned, but there were actually a few that obviously people were living in. One dude in the garden caring for his plants.

Thanks for the update, muikabochi.

Skijo almost never look good when there's no snow - and with a resort in transition such as Mt Granview we can't expect it to be all pretty.

Will be nice and shiny by December for sure!

Bloody hell is there no law making people take down buildings in that condition? Surely it's a safety hazard?

I remember seeing a story on the news about this sort of thing a month or two ago. Forget the details, but it seems to be surprisingly hard to condemn and tear down an old, decrepit house. The town needs to find the owner and get their permission. Often the owner does not have the money to tear the old house down, and the removal of a "residential" structure (even if not practically habitable) would cause the tax on the land to shoot up (due to bubble-era anti-speculation tax rules), and the owner cannot afford the higher tax, so they just leave it in shambles. The town really needs to be prepared to buy out the owner (if locatable and willing) to be able to do anything about it.