seems time for a vote on rules.

breaking them - villain or just a bit o fun.

for my part...u can buy stickers that say skating is not a crime. well, in Perth it was. street skating was illegal, as was skating in the city centre. never stopped me and when confronted by officers of the law (which happened frequently) i apologised and they let me continue on my merry way (nb. the potential fine was i believe $50 - and i was skating for transport). if u like a rule sick by it, if u have a problem with one consider your actions. but dont hurt other people and be polite.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh sorry...

if u are a staunch defender of the rules u might holla "the sign says no ducking" when u see some villainous anarchist messing with the stability of society (ie ducking a rope).

conversely one might remark "rools schmools" if one places little weight in the importance and relevance of rules, and stealthily slips beneath the rope for some fluffy fun.

not intending to bias results ;\)

but its a general quetion too. y'know rules in general. i think some rules r good r some r worth questioning.

Or to put it another way

If you believe that rules set out by a resort should be followed, vote for "the sign says no ducking"

Conversely, if you believe that you have some right to ignore rules (depending on how you decide they should be interpreted, and depending on your personal wishes), vote for "rools schmools".

Not intending to bias results ;\)

Interestingly, 20 vs 8 votes so far in favor of "the sign says no ducking".

\:\)

I dont want to get into this again, but if you put up a fence and you have no idea why you did it is it breaking the rule. They dont know why its up half the time. I do not duck every rope that would be stupid. If I know that the way is closed for a good reason then no rope ducking.

I ski mostly at places were its ok to go outside the ropes in most areas.

There was a news item last night on Nagano news about Happo. For the second year in a row, they've put up signs saying that the resort has no responsibility for anyone going outside the ropes. Fair enough I suppose.

But they've also moved the perimeter of their ropes to include a largish ungroomed area with a few small bushes sticking out of it. So Happo is in effect admitting that what was once 'ruled' as being off-limits didn't really have to be.

Now we all know places at resorts like that - perfectly safe, enjoyable places to ride that are fenced off for no good reason, limiting the scope of people's enjoyment to groomed runs, and crowding them together on often narrow courses. 'Rules' like that are stupid, deserve to be broken, and because people have broken them at Happo, they've decided to change them.

However, the news also showed footage of people (Japanese) riding between the avalanche barriers at Happo. I don't know how dangerous that slope actually is (but I wouldn't go down it myself), but if it is dangerous, it should be more difficult for people to go down, and they shouldn't be allowed back to Happo, ever, if it actually is dangerous. A rule like that, based on common sense and safety, would be a good thing. Presently, it doesn't seem to have occurred to the Management.

Personally I often break rules. That's one reason why I'm a freelancer and not a company employee. I've taken a lot of consequences for breaking rules, and I will no doubt continue to do so. If a rule is easy to break, it often means the justification for it is very thin.

Fattwins, couldn`t have put it better myself. Just because we duck one rope doesn`t mean we duck all ropes. Its conditions dependent.

SKI, I think you`ll find you may start to rehash old arguements. Those of us out there who are (sometimes) rope duckers have told you why we do it - I don`t think we can explain it any better, shed any more light on it, nor do I think you`ll change our minds.

At Hakkoda, the ropes are there to deter beginners. All good riders duck them, which is accepted. Does this make me bad in your books SKI? What would you do in this instance?

It isn`t always as cut and dried as you seem to make out.

cheers,

hem now

hem now

Quote:
I think you`ll find you may start to rehash old arguements
Yes, an old argument, but I didn't bring it up I am just adding a comment to a thread and answering something posted by fattwins.

Quote:
nor do I think you`ll change our minds.
That's fine by me. I am not on a crusade to change your minds. I am simply putting forward a different point of view, as are you.

Quote:
At Hakkoda, the ropes are there to deter beginners. All good riders duck them, which is accepted. Does this make me bad in your books SKI? What would you do in this instance?
I don't know about Hakkoda, I have never been there and don't know the situation and so can't comment on this. However, with the info you give me, I think my action would probably be to ask the resort/patrol/lifties about the situation.

Cheers

g'morning guys, didnt intend to try and reignite an old argument (i read the old posts and know the sitch). just wanted to get a wider view from the polls and let my opinion be known.

must admit i am a tad surprised by the numbers but maybe thats why things in society works

Quote:
If a rule is easy to break, it often means the justification for it is very thin.
good point...i used to climb radio towers in the bush in oz as a pasttime, and u knew if the tower was one they really didnt want u to climb because the security was different. (just wanted to see the view \:D )

Quote:
ask the resort/patrol/lifties about the situation
and ski, your move sounds wise. but for me, if i saw plenty of others riding it i would be afraid of a negative answer 'for no good reason.' but i think your side has been well supported in the figures.

maybe a point for an off topic convo, but i think WHY? is a question that needs to be asked more in japan.

y'know i generally consider myself to be a pretty moral and responsible person.

cant we all just get along.

Ocean nice to know you wont ride there. That area is off limits. It bottoms into a slam flat area. The are your talking about thats open every year I go they push the ropes out further as snow permits. Early season its epic and they dont really care. I think they are more afraid of you fallin of off the backside of the mountain, its pretty rocky early but I have seen tracks in the spring.