• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the results really that surprising?

Does every forgener you know ski/board well enough to go to the roped off places even if they were not roped off? Half the ppl here are prolly AET's from Perth seeing snow and skiing for the first time in their lives they barely get up the big lifts yet alone ski in the trees.

just a guess

enderzero, you're right, I said an unkind thing and was censored.

jared, you're probably right too. And lest anybody be foolish enough to take this poll as a serious indication of anything, it would be well to remember that a lot of people, often including me, don't trouble themselves to respond to them. Especially when the person who sets the poll can't express themselves clearly enough to be understood straightaway.

Jared,

here in Aomori ken there are 113 AET`s. 4 are from Australia, one of those being from Perth.

1 out of 113 - not quite half. Not sure how that extrapolates to the rest of Japan, though.

Incidentally, the guy from Perth is actually a very good snowboarder!

hem now - not from Perth

Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
Half the ppl here .......seeing snow and skiing for the first time in their lives they barely get up the big lifts yet alone ski in the trees.
Hey Jared, we are all no doubt not as good as you on the snow, but I think you might be suprised what is possible after a short while.

I for one am not struggling to get up the lift.

on the results:

I think they say volumes in favour of ducking. Popular preference is seldom the best option. How many people drink Coke, eat MacDonalds, watch the Oscars? Probably the majority. There are the masses who were born, got educated, get a job, pay tax and die. These people are make up the community along with you and I. Then there is teh minority who see life as a blank canvass - they draw what they like. They duck ropes. I have a general rule, if it is popular with the crowds, it usually sucks.

How many people play golf rather than a snow sport? More golfers I bet. Does that make it the best option?

I place very little creedence in extraordinary popular delusions & the madness of crowds (I borrowed that from a favourite book tittle).

Quote:
Originally posted by db:

I for one am not struggling to get up the lift.
Funny you should say that db, I found those drag lifts in France very challenging. They were fast, up steep slopes and over long distances. I was falling off them a lot.
 Quote:
Originally posted by db:
There are the masses who were born, got educated, get a job, pay tax and die. .
Which part of this equation separates you from the rest, db?
\:\)

(and when, exactly, did the masses get 'educated'?)

Oh, on topic, duck as you wish, just don't get all crabby if yer get caught!
 Quote:
Half the ppl here are prolly AET's from Perth seeing snow and skiing for the first time in their lives they barely get up the big lifts yet alone ski in the trees.
thanks for the vote of confidence, jared. and u make a good point. maybe people who r unfamilar with snow don't have the right to have an opinion on things snow related. i spent an afternoon riding the trees in nozawa (well, y'know gullies with trees on the edges) but that hardly speaks volumes for my expertise. if u'd prefer the non experts stick to beginners forums, just say.

Quote:
And lest anybody be foolish enough to take this poll as a serious indication of anything...
Especially when the person who sets the poll can't express themselves clearly enough to be understood straightaway.
well, ocean, i'd guess the potential error in results is reasonably large, and if u dint vote then they're definitely skewed, but theres a theme. i wrote a question that someone like me would understand. u aint like me? probably lucky.

and why am i gettin ripped on? i say if wanna break rule, and u got a reason, be my guest. i didnt force others to vote for rules.

Miteyak - the 'base case' is that we all fit into that category descibed above. It is what one does over and above this lot in life that seperates you from the masses.

Tiger - I only fell off one t-bar. I am happy to say that it was due to me straying off the t-bar drag track and into the powder just to the side. I ended up getting dragged through almost waist deep powder, up hill. Just after I fell off the lift stopped for a few seconds and there was a nice hardboarder dude that let me get on his spare half of the t-bar. very kind.

I merely pointed out that the poll was a little hard to understand at first glance (which I have reason to believe is all that anybody gives anything on here). If you can live with that, fine.

I have no problem with people sticking to the rules posted at resorts if they want to (and if there are actually rules posted).

i cant calm down!!

ive woken up, again, to find no vegemite in the house. im in limbo, unable to start my day.

how would u feel if u had bread, butter, tea and milk but no vegemite? and then to hear that people think my all my hard work polling forum visitors on rule breakage has been in vain...this is the end, man

[/qb]

Hey Jared, we are all no doubt not as good as you on the snow, but I think you might be suprised what is possible after a short while.

I for one am not struggling to get up the lift.[/QB]

db, having seen you board, I still reckon you`re having us on. Either that, or you`ve spent the last few years getting practice in a Simulator.

hem now

Quote:
thanks for the vote of confidence, jared. and u make a good point. maybe people who r unfamilar with snow don't have the right to have an opinion on things snow related. i spent an afternoon riding the trees in nozawa (well, y'know gullies with trees on the edges) but that hardly speaks volumes for my expertise. if u'd prefer the non experts stick to beginners forums, just say.
What the fk are you talking about? I was having a go at explaining the results of the poll for all of the ppl that expressed surprise at them. I didnt say anything about wishing the beginners would go away or not vote or even that I wanted the results of the poll to be different. Just hazarding a guess as to why the results might be as they are.

yes Hem thats exactly what I ment. 50% of all AETs are from Perth, have taken up skiing, are snow japan users and have voted in this poll. How you can argue with such facts is bizzare to say the least.

jared - this is not an attack. But I think that Hem and co. may have detected the ever so subtle but nearly always present chip that seems to reside on your shoulder. Sorry to put it to you like that, but there is often a snide/sneering overtone in the things that you post.

Hem, if you say db's "claimed" snowboard experience seems incredible having seen him board I guess, his skills are quite impressive now. However, I wouldn't doubt his honesty, given he has experience in skiing and surfing and is obviously very keen and probably has some talent.

Ah, db, someone who understood my post!

Jared, I wasn`t taking you literally, just trying to make a point. Maybe I`m way out of line, but I sensed an air of condecension in your post, that anyone who hasn`t been doing this for years is somehow inferior. Sorry if my sarcastic response was either not understood or misplaced. Without the benefit of body language, alot of communication is lost!

cheers,

hem now

Nah, not doubting his honesty, just blowing wind up his a$$. I honestly didn`t realise you could get that good before the end of your first season (this was around mid january - so db you`d had maybe 20 days in total?).

Keep going, db, and you`ll be doing flips before the season is over!

cheers,

hem now

Tell you what, I'll re-write the original post and attempt to make myself understood.

Deepprobe and others who expressed surprise in the results of this poll,

I think that the one sidedness of the results should have been expected. I think this because at the ski field where I ski the majority of foreigners skiing/boarding there are not confident enough in their own ability to duck under the ski patrol's ropes. I say foreigners because they are more likely than Japanese people to participate in this forum.

For example, my friend from Perth who had never seen snow decided that taking up snowboarding while he was in Japan was a good idea. As he is new to snowboarding he is happy to stick to the easier groomed runs and would not consider ducking ropes weather he believed them there for a good reason or not. I think it is not the sanctity of the rules/ropes that stops him from ducking ropes but rather the lack of desire to be on the other side of the ropes. I believe (guess) that my friend may be typical of the people who have voted for not ducking the ropes on this forum of which there seem to be a majority.

I have decided that posting this may be condescending but as my typing finger is now raw from the effort I’m gonna post it anyway and see what happens.