a few months ago I couldn't decide on Nagano or Hokkaido for a trip at the end of this month, but decided on Nagano because it was cheaper.

looking through this site, seems like the best places in Nagano are Shiga Kogen and Hakuba.. but having a hard time deciding between the two.

I never skiied or snowboarded in my life! need a place that's beginner friendly!

Unfortunately I can't stay too long either, I'm thinking of a one or two night thing. do you guys think its better or cheaper to find accomodations in Nagano city then commute over to the ski area.. or to simply just find a place in the skiing area?

one thing for sure, I'm definitely going to go see the snow monkeys! :wave:

Never understood the fascination with a few monkeys soaking in water but from what I understand Shiga has some of the highest lifted points in Japan and by the end of March you'll have better conditions the higher you can get.

The monkeys are wonderful, you sound like you want to see them --- I'm sure you'll love them.

:thumbsup:

Late March weather, unfortunately we can't do anything about that. Think spring and you'll be ok.

thanks for the reply everyone!

unfortunately I hit an obstacle. I was thinking of going to Shiga Kogen as everyone suggested

but one of my japanese friends who's coming along is pushing for Nozawa Onsen..

i guess she's not too keen on snow monkeys.

looking at the plan she suggested, its an overnight bus.. looks like its just a day trip and get home at night. doesn't sound so interesting :(

the schedule is: 日程 スケジュール 食事 宿泊 1日目  渋谷 = 池袋===

その他各集合場所(池袋までの無料シャトルバス)

途中2時間程度の間隔で停車・休憩を取ります。  朝× 昼× 夕×  (バス車中泊)  2日目  =スキー場(06:35頃)着

利用施設で着替え、スキー・スノーボードでお楽しみください。

スキー場16:45(日曜は15:45)出発====新宿(21:50頃)着  朝× 昼× 夕×   

I'm looking on nozawa sites.. is it even connected by train? was thinking of just going ahead and meeting them there. not keen on the whole over night bus thing (i can't sleep on it)

The closest train is the local Iiyama line station Togari Nozawa Onsen which is about 10-15 minutes drive away from Nozawa itself.

Many people get off the train at Nagano and get a bus from there rather than go to Togari.

• Like 1

I made this map for you which is actually going from the Togari Onsen ski resort but you can see the Togari Onsen train station on the left there, just to get an idea

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/route-finder/japan-resort-directions-large.php?addresses=Togari%20Onsen(resort%3D41)ANDNozawa%20Onsen(resort%3D40)&avoidHighways=false&avoidTolls=false&travelMode=DRIVING

• Like 1

Thanks for the map and replies..

however I managed to convince my friend to stick with Shiga Kogen instead.. so that's where we're going to go :friend:

however some questions remain.

1. Accomodations: Just staying for 1 night. Is it better to find a place in Shiga Kogen? or stay in Nagano (where i think its cheaper?)

2. Where to snow board in Shiga Kogen: I'm looking at the snow japan main site, and there seems to be many ski areas.. which one to go to? does it matter for snow boarding? does lifts also matter for snow boarding? :wakaranai:

Nagano is an hour or 2 shuttle bus ride from Shiga Kogen slopes......for a day, you'd def be better staying overnight in the resort. I liked the resort from Takamagahara over to the Prince hotel (about middle all the way to the left when looking at a course map). Terakoya and Tannenomori, Ichinose and the Prince hotel bit (can't remember the name of the resort) all have a lot of terrain to explore.....more than plenty for a day

As I type this I am at shirakaba kogen kokusai in Nagano.

I was going to go to Gunma yesterday but decidex against it as it was raining.,lnstead will go during the spring break!

The snow here ranges from surprisingly good at top to sticky crap at the bottom even at this altitude!

Real spring conditions today feels like summer compared to what im used to around these parts.

Good fun all the same!

No time to write more time to get back on te slopes!