On the men’s downhill it is groomed until you hit the last steep part of kokusai. This only gets groomed once or twice a season. Though in fact I haven’t seen it groomed once this season. It surprises a lot of first time skiers/boarders on Happo

On the lady’s downhill the top part doesn’t get groomed. The middle part, Panorama gets groomed everyday. Lower down, after Panorama restaurant, usually gets groomed on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Really that different?

I have been over the right before, that is less mogul-y?

I was actually there more for the views from the left and the top than any big skiing missionl, so no worries.

I'll be sure to check the right side next time again though.

I think some people in Japan are stuck in the past regarding what people want out of skiing. The "spend a fortune on lessons and badge tests" technical approach is increasingly old fashioned. Folks don't have a fortune to spend and want more fun than spending half the day standing on the side listening to an instructor and the other half on one ski at a time.

Stem probably knows this but is it possible to ride down the Olympic Downhill course at Happo on a typical day and encounter no moguls? Don't you get them on the lower part of Panorama too?

They don't groom the steep part directly in front of the downhill start shack but the rest of it down Panorama is groomed.

Chriselle -that is the ladies downhill.

Really that different?

I have been over the right before, that is less mogul-y?

I was actually there more for the views from the left and the top than any big skiing missionl, so no worries.

I'll be sure to check the right side next time again though.

The views from the left are more spectacular but skiing wise....not so much. On the right you have Skyline and you can easily get further right off piste. And the board park is over on the Sakka side at the top of the Sakka quad...far right.

I think they're a bit of a historical relic and that a lot of them should be groomed away in keeping with customer demand.

I agree . But some skiers really do like moguls. It´s not all that different from slaloms, so maybe have one course dedicated to it.

I think some people in Japan are stuck in the past regarding what people want out of skiing. The "spend a fortune on lessons and badge tests" technical approach is increasingly old fashioned.

This raises some questions.

I think you do need some technical approach in how to use your ski and approach moguls. Modern carving skis are not all that good for moguls IMO (I tried)

In my case, I still have my 2m ski and don´t have a problem with it. Sure, something shorter is easier for moguls , but for me to use new skis would require me to get instruction - so, am I caught up in the past for my preference in ski design? Maybe, but I really don´t want to change my style and pay for instructions.

By the way, missus and I had a chat about would we like to go on skis for a laugh. For her, it´s a thing she enjoyed as a kid and grew out. Probably that applies to me too.

I don't think anyone has a problem with one or two mogul courses, especially off to the side. Its when its they can't be avoided on anything above a certain steepness.

I kind of meant the bit below Panorama restaurant heading down toward where the scoreboard is. However, I don't really know the course names at Happo or where exactly the respective Olympic courses are, so I think I'll just shut up!

My favourite kind of courses are long steepish ones but, without moguls.

Oh yes I like them.

Talking of which, one day I want to get to Ishiuchi Maruyama early morning to get that top run in as I think they groom that.

I was working for a certain Hakuba ski school a few seasons ago. I had a booking for private lesson for two days. A good intermediate skier. He wanted to learn how to ski moguls. :omg:

My knees haven't been the same since. I practically gave up instructing after that.

It seems silly for resorts to allow so many moguls to form when it seems clear most people don't like 'em.

Unless the resort is 'famous' for them or something, like it's a selling point and people go there to mogul.

Hate them myself.

Wow what a nightmare!! I dont get people who ride moguls i much rather save my legs for powder, side hits or park!! I avoid them as much as possible infact I go into trees to avoid them Bahaha

Kokusai just makes no sense. Like Stemik mentioned so many people get to the last bit and say...WTF....I can't go down here and have no options but to do it. It's like they have it there just to **** with all the gaijin who congregate there.

anecdotaly, every time im on my way home from kagura theres always a ski school between the mitsumata ropeway and the gondola. They are ALWAYS learning to ride sharp turns. They also seem like beginners (well, almost beginners- its usually late in the day so theyve probably got their basics down).

It seems ANECDOTALY, that one of teh first real techniques you learn after you learn to ride a bit, is quick turning on skis.

On the men’s downhill it is groomed until you hit the last steep part of kokusai. This only gets groomed once or twice a season. Though in fact I haven’t seen it groomed once this season. It surprises a lot of first time skiers/boarders on Happo

On the lady’s downhill the top part doesn’t get groomed. The middle part, Panorama gets groomed everyday. Lower down, after Panorama restaurant, usually gets groomed on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Yep. It got PB and I the first time around.

It was poor visibility too, so hard to make a choice not to go there...

I fell hard and hurt my arm, kept on keeping on for the trip, and it was a week or so after I got home that I discovered I had actually fractured my wrist!

No treatment because it had already begun to heal. Serves me right for avoiding doctors and having a she'll be right attitude - this is not the first fracture I have missed! :rolleyes:

That looks very much like the Continental Divide at Sunshine Village. Fun little run if you're on skis.

Good spot SerreChe, though I prefer snowbender's definition of fun! ;)

:lol:

Me too.

I have a Japanese friend who is mad on moguls. He lives for them and not interested in any other part of a skijo.

I think he's mad of course.