Hey guys would anyone be down to do a SnowJapan meet up/hike up Mt Fuji? If anyone has any tips for doing it I am thinking about very beginning of April (2nd 3rd or 4th). Just post in here or let me know if you have any info or want to join in on the fun.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey MP, beginning of April is much too early. It would be too dangerous at that time of year. I was going to do it last year but it's not really safe until closer to the beginning of May. The roads leading up there aren't even open until around that time anyway... you'll also have to register with the police. I actually did quite a bit of research so if you have specific questions fire away.

Since I live in the area I'm constantly hearing about all the deaths that occur on Fuji each year (which are quite a few to be honest). If you timed it right crampons and boots might be enough... bad timing and you are dead.

Here is the thread from last year.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/20256-skiing-or-boarding-mt-fuji/page__hl__fuji__fromsearch__1

I'm sure some crampons and boots will be fine for the job. The temperature can't be all that bad and no crowds either! If I am wrong in any way please let me know :)

its over 12,000 feet!! Its gonna be COLD up there. It ain't no walk in the park

I'm sure some crampons and boots will be fine for the job. The temperature can't be all that bad and no crowds either! If I am wrong in any way please let me know :)

its over 12,000 feet!! Its gonna be COLD up there. It ain't no walk in the park

I think it's proximity to the ocean is probably more of a factor. 12,000 isn't too too bad. Yeah it's pretty much mountaineering at that point though.

BM you think the rapid changing weather is the most dangerous part? Do you think if it's an exceptionally nice day it may be possible? I realize those days are few and far between living in Japan :). Either way, just a thought.

BM has it sussed out. I'll drive you guys up to base and drop you off.....and meet you when you come down. Hopefully you'll all be accounted for. ;)

Drink a beer for every hour we're gone Chris!

Spring around here actually means we are blessed with sun most days. A high pressure system usually settles over the area. The winds however can be howling on Fuji at that time of year (50-60kms sustained winds are normal) But much much stronger are possible (+100kms). The mountain is also shedding tons of snow at that time of year. I think it is very unstable during that type of melt.

All of those things aside, if the roads are closed it means you have to hike in and out to the base which adds +1000m vertical and as much as 10-15kms depending on which access point you use. If we had Chris' Land Rover it might not matter that they are closed though ;)

i tell you what, theres no way in hell im venturing outdoors if winds are 100km/s.In fact im probably living about 5 miles underground. Kinda handy if you want to sail around the world though and happen to have a titanium sail. :)

Well if the roads dont have more than 40cm of snow on them then will be passable with my car, as long as the snow is not frozen solid! It can hold eight people!

It does sound like an adventure! Three options really, we all show each other how tough we are by going up there when the conditions are wild or we don't act so tough and go when it is safer, but still a bit dangerous as spring will be very windy at times and still lots of unstable snow!

Or we all act like pussies and climb in summer, where even old granny's can climb it!

My father inlaw death slide Fuji in the 70s and spen 2 monthes in the hospital.

Would love to hear that story.

Between Snowdude's Delica and my LandCruiser we could start a nifty little shuttle business. Again, I'm a pus so I'll be watching the SJ horror show through the binoculars laying back in a lawn chair sipping on a glass of red vino. :wave:

Read this on Japantoday.....

PORTAGE, Mich —

The latest search for a Michigan man who went missing more than a month ago while hiking on Mount Fuji was unsuccessful, his father said Wednesday.

“We just need a break,” Jerry Johnson told The Associated Press after returning to Michigan following a week of searching the 12,388-foot (3,776-meter) peak, which is covered in snow and ice.

His son, Matthew, of Portage last was seen Jan. 13 on the mountain. The 33-year-old software engineer for Eaton Corp. was in Japan on business.

Mount Fuji is treacherous in wintertime. Jerry Johnson said he and a son-in-law camped at a station on the mountain, and snow on the upper part of the peak was about 3 feet (1 meter) deep.

“We had some expert climbers that were able to get all over the mountain and down in the woods,” he said. “And they just looked everywhere and there’s no sign.”

Some of Matthew’s gear or other signs may be found when the weather gets warmer, he added.

“Now, we have to get lucky,” Jerry Johnson said. “There are a lot of people who do go up on the mountain in the winter. By mid-May the snow will start to melt and more climbers will go up.”