Compromise in a relationship

How much do you compromise in your relationship with 'other half'?

Should we have to?

Is it just part of the package?

These things are things I am thinking about lately.

Compromise is essential in any successful relationship. Unless you've found someone who has exactly the same likes and dislikes and the same goals and dreams you'll always be required to find a middle ground for both of you to be happy.

The big no no in my book though is the idea that you require some sort of permission to do what you want to do from your partner. They're not your parent and you're not a kid anymore. Just because you're in a relationship it should never mean that you stop doing the things that make you happy. Find the things you love doing together but keep some things that you love doing on your own or with friends. You don't have to do everything together!

The wife and I give each other 'alone' time. Example, I'll usually go snowboarding with my friends while she watches the kid, I'll return the favor by doing the same when she wants a day with her friends. There is alot of different ways we do it, but you get the point.

Its good to get some time alone/away, not that you WANT to be apart, but you'll drive each other crazy together 24/7, especially with a nrarly 2 year old that throws tantrums every 10 minutes, lol.

Also, arguing is a part of every relationship (imo). You'll never see eye to eye on everything unless you are married to a robot. Fighting is different than arguing, and if it happens often needs to be worked out before it gets out of hand.

Just my .02, good luck!

But Really...................a compromise is an agreement where both parties get what neither of them wanted

Show me the person who lives their live doing exactly what they want and having their way 100% of the time!

But Really...................a compromise is an agreement where both parties get what neither of them wanted

Show me the person who lives their live doing exactly what they want and having their way 100% of the time!

I live my life exactly the way my wife tells me to.... :doh:

Yeah I got 7 years of mostly living life exactly the way I wanted but now I'm back in Australia.....

Its simple - stay single.

Nah thanks. A little compromise is nothing compared to sharing your life with someone you love. And the best of all is kids. Even though it means more compromise my daughter makes me happier than anything else in this world (although chest deep powder down Jackson's comes close ;) ).

Compromise example -

Which tooth?

A man and his wife walked into a dentist's office.

The man said to the dentist, "Doc, I'm in one heck of a hurry. I have two mates sitting out in my car waiting for us to go play golf, so forget about the anaesthetic, I don't have time for the gums to get numb.

I just want you to pull the tooth and be done with it! We have a 10:00 AM tee time at the best golf course in town and it's 9:30 already... I don't have time to wait for the anaesthetic to work!'

The dentist thought to himself, "My goodness, this is surely a very brave man asking to have his tooth pulled without using anything to kill the pain." So the dentist asks him, "Which tooth is it sir?

The man turned to his wife and said, "Open your mouth, love, and show him."

Agree wholeheartedly with some of the sentiments in this thread, especially GNs!

About 6yr ago PB wanted to take his older sons on a boys ski trip to Niseko, he did, they loved it, he then wanted to take all of us. I was not so sure. I compromised and went, but to be the support act, not to try this radical snow sports thing. When I was there the nagging for me to join in and try boarding constantly made me compromise and get a few lessons. The rest is history. Sometimes when we work together with our partners and 'compromise' we discover it was one of the best experiences of our lives.

However if there is something important to your partner, and you really couldn't give a toss or find it tedious, but it really means something to them for you to be involved, why wouldn't you. It is give and take. Giving that to your partner with a cheery demeanor, rather than expecting everything to be to your preference 24/7 is much more conducive to a happy life. And that's what it is all about isn't it? a happy life, not just a happy exciting and transient short period of time...