Lately there has been a LOT of negativity on this site to the point of stopping people posting in fear they will piss someone off or get a smart ass response or just over it generally. Its kinda getting old in my view and with the dissapearnce of Thursday should have got better but it doesnt seem to have, in fact I'd argue its worse. It doesnt really matter what the drivers are, what does matter for my 2 cents is we go back to how it used to be, with friendly banter and the odd pay out amongest friends. So here's a challenge, how about NOT posting negative remarks that are in any way attacking another member's view, instead respect the differences and get on with it, because at the end of the day this is JUST the internet. Rant over, back to regular programing.

Mate - my skin is SO thick and I really wasnt refering to anything aimed at me. Been chatting with quite a few members from all over the place and its not just me sensing this.

Peter obviously missed some of the heated scraps in the past.

These forums are on the whole remarkably friendly and good natured.

:)

Maybe that's it :)

I am actually quite amazed at how friendly and 'calm' these Forums are.

They are so unlike lots of full on attitude forums for skiing boarding. :lol:

Cannot see what you are talking about!

I said you and your host.

But really like I said, I can't see what you are talking about as one of the very features of these forums is how generally friendly they are.

They're not friendly to marketers though...

Are people not allowed to disagree, according to Policeman Pete?

It's a Forum!

Surely discussuion and sometimes heated discussion are a good thing!

And the irony is that this is such an amiable place on the whole.

I think your comments are ridiculous. Oops, is that 'negative'?

Same here, am surprised how friendly these forums are and how helpful most people, besides the blatent marketers and people with vested interests, are.

If you could point out where the negative comments are, then we can all see.

Those SEVERAL members must be poor little shrinking violets if they can't cope with the stuff that goes on here! :lol:

And I thought they were all gnarly!

Anyway, why not show us.

Honestly, I think that your comment here is one of the most negative I have seen actually recently.

Some people seem to think that "negative" means "not the same opinion as the one I have". It doesn't you know.

The only thing I can think of recently is the one yesterday about the Hakuba quad but it was hardly R-15 stuff!

Find it quite incredible that anyone could complain that this forums is not a friendly one. For a skiing/snowboarding one, I cannot think of one that is more open to normal people who don't have agendas.

If I were SJ I might well not be happy at reading what you are suggesting.

Here's some pasted in comments I made last time you came into a thread with similar, pete.

It's not all in context but I easier than re-writing something very similar

Sorry if you think I am being 'negative'.

--------

Why can't people just talk about places without going to one extreme or the other.

:wakaranai:

I dont like reading all the cheesy stuff - of which there most definitely IS more from Hakuba than other places, leading me not to know who to believe - and I don't particularly like the sniping back either.

And is any of this new?

In one corner the people who are being accused of crying wolf etc. Their 'mates' come on and defend them, and express outrage and call the ones in the other corner things. ( bitter? :confused: )

It's all extremely predictable down to the list of people on either side.

Can we get onto the next track please.

Personally, I think there's more cynicism in the people pushing stuff than there is in those questioning the barrage of it.

---------

Too be honest most people from Hakuba are scared to even post or write anything positive anymore.

Oh come on that is just ridiculous.

Firstly, surely everyone in Hakuba is way too gnarly to be 'scared'. ;)

Secondly, if certain people would simply post things that don't read like they come from an 80's Marketing 101 Manual or an airline tv ad, there would not be an issue.

I can't recall ever getting accused of bigging up this area in the same way, and I am fairly sure I love it as much as other people love their regions.

Cry wolf too much and what do you expect? I think some people really have only themselves to blame - it's not doing anyone any favours and actually does damage. As can be seen. I think I'd be actually annoyed with my friends, if they did the same for this area. Whether in real life these people like little fluffy puppies and give to charity is really beside the point.

It's not many people really that do that, but they just got a reputation and you know what happens when an in-joke takes hold...

Why not other people like yourself and other Hakuba types try to turn the trend by writing stuff that doesn't come across that way?

If you want to join in this community, why not post photos here to show people and back it up?

Why not report things that may be less than amazing, as well as only popping up here every now and again to 'report' the amazing things?

Surely that's the way round the problem.

And you never know, it could turn out to be far better 'free marketing' on here (for want of a better word) than any cheesy one-liners.

I don't think anyone is averse to proper stoke!

I would say it's totally in your hands.

And really, it sounds pretty pathetic to come up with a comment like 'people are scared'.

You said that last year if I remember rightly..... why not do something about it? I'm sure it will be welcomed.

Good to hear Happo has opened I noticed that on the now report this morning.

I hope you have a good season and hope to hear and see about it. :friend:

------

• SnowJapan Admin

If people think there is too much negativity, or they think someone has gone over the line, please tell us about it.

I would rather that than 1) people just stew with it, or 2) make a topic on the Forums about it like this one.

Surely having an argument is acceptable? People have lots of different opinions on stuff - no-one needs to tell me that! And people sometimes get frustrated when other people disagree with them or make jokes that annoy them.

If the kind of banter that goes on here stops other people posting.... then so be it, I suppose. I find the idea a bit ridiculous myself, as 99% of it is good-natured joshing, but then again that's just my opinion.

Also, if you don't like a particular member, you can always 'ignore' them.

And on the subject of marketing type or agenda-driven people, no they are not welcome to come on here to try and push their agenda. They never have been so there is no change there.

Thanks.

If you want a Forums where everyone agrees with each other and everything is all nicely laid out, I suggest you try Cooking with Aunty Mavis's forum.

Come on, I can almost not believe your comments pete. I actually think sometimes this Forums needs MORE disagreements! Sort of. It sure ain't unfriendly considering the topic/theme.

And I thought skiers and snowboarders had at least a bit of gnarly in them.

Hold on a sec.

Wasn't it panhead_pete who started the thread recently that had nothing in it other than "I'm not telling you".

And wasn't it panhead_pete who came storming into the Hakuba quad thread with the comment "And waiting for the lame ass "bottomless" comments.... wait wait and there it is....."

:confused:

Kettle. Pot. Black. Or something.

Other than some of my jokes getting better (TJ even liked one of them, I'll always cherish* that dearly) and some getting worse, nothing has changed.

Oh, apart from there being less Hakuba vs Niseko stuff. You obviously missed those days.

Actually I think for the issues you pertain to, it DOES matter who the drivers are. Because most of the few people who do regularly get stick are the people with agendas. The ones who can't drop their agenda, no matter what. And they deserve some stick for it. They spoil the 'community' because they are not interested in the community, they are interested in their business and just want to use here as a tool.

I suppose I am one of the ones accused of smart-ass comments. Yeah I make jokes and you might not think lots of them are funny. But they are all light-hearted and I always retreat before anything gets nasty because I'm just not into that.

But seriously, when do things get nasty? Almost never. I can't think of one instance for such a long time when things really boil over.

Just because your mate gets stick, it is personal to you.

As for the scaredy-pants who are afraid to post, that just makes me laugh. :rollabout:

What a bunch of wusses!

I would guess that it is entirely their own doing that got them in that position in the first place.

I won't be changing anyway unless SJ tell me too. :party:

If you want a Forums where everyone agrees with each other and everything is all nicely laid out, I suggest you try Cooking with Aunty Mavis's forum.

Come on, I can almost not believe your comments pete. I actually think sometimes this Forums needs MORE disagreements! Sort of. It sure ain't unfriendly considering the topic/theme.

And I thought skiers and snowboarders had at least a bit of gnarly in them.

This.

Im all up for disagreement and debate, but for me it just goes past that sometimes. Just a view.

I said you and your host.

And I said SEVERAL members.

This is the kind of thing Im talking about.

Sorry, I missed this.

Am I being accused of something there?

I guess part of the problem is that we haven't all met in person so it's difficult to understand our different senses of humour, etc... Sarcasm also doesn't translate very well into writing. If Pete is feeling a bit of negativity instead of jumping all over him for having that opinion I'll offer a :console: .

We all need a little more positivity in our lives.

Yeah, but hold on BM.

Is it one rule for him and another for others? Him 'hitting out' at people and suggesting these things is surely 'negative' in itself. You know what that kind of stuff actually annoys me. I can't think of what the term is for that kind of thing, I'm sure there is one.

And I just don't see it whatsoever. It's all the more ridiculous considering how generally the opposite this forum really is.

Hmmm, how can I post in here without being accused of being negative.

OK here goes:

I think this Forum could seriously not be more friendly and positive without becoming sickly sweet. And that's a great balance. Don't change anyone.

:)

• Like 1