Was thinking there might be value in capturing a list of hints/equipment etc that I have come to learn I should be riding with. Most happy to hear from others. Lets TRY and keep this one on topic :)

A small plastic one piece whistle on the zip of my jacket. Saw an old guide with one and it makes a LOT of sense.

For me ...

Helmet. Back protector. Elbow and knee pads (volley ball, hand ball). Wrist guard.

Layer clothing.

Chocolate with nuts

mobile phone with emergency number

Strong pain killers

compression bandage

Reading this and thinking.

Whistle is a good idea.

I usually carry a little tin with survival things (tinder, flint, etc) with me but I don´t do that when I am boarding. Discrepancy.

Funny I am not prepared that it just might happen that I go overnight... Happened more than a few times, including I got lost going for a walk in Australia.

So if that happens, It might be a good idea to include.

Shovel

extra glove

Hakukin Kai-lo (keeps you warm)

more food

small stove.

Great idea Pete

Just put my BCD whistle in my jacket as well as a mini maglite I always have a few protein bars in there anyway as well as handwarmers.

Seemore

I think protein/meal supplement bars are a must, even if you stay on-piste. I was up the top of Perisher one year in a mini-blizzard (it does occasionally happen in Australia) when I ran out of energy.. had barely enough strength to keep myself upright and fell down so many times that I got more injured than I already was.

If you stay in Tokyo before heading up, most of these types of things (Whistle, meal bars, swiss army knife) can be bought from Don Quixote (or donki as the locals say) for fairly cheap. better to be safe than sorry.. I'm also getting walkie talkies so if my brother, me or our mate get seperated, we can still reach each other.

DON'T SNOWBOARD ALONE....

Just fyi:

Japan

Any fixed knife containing a blade length of 5.9 inches or more requires permission from the prefectural public safety commission in order to possess. Permission requirements also apply to any type of pocket knife over 2.2 inches (including Automatic Knives), spears over 5.9 inches in blade length, and Japanese halberds.

I know you guys are talking about small pocket knives though, but just thought I'd throw that out there. Don't want anyone getting in any unnecessary trouble!

-----------------

Also, on the snowboarding alone, do you mean back country, or just in general? I know it's best to go with a buddy, but sometimes your friends back out/you can't find anyone to go. I wouldn't want to hang around my place all weekend just b/c my friends don't want to go, IMO.

I'd say if you want to go alone, make sure your friends/family knows where you are, your plans for the day/evening (staying, driving home) and check-in once in a while. I wouldn't go to an isolated place alone though, probably stick to Nozawa, Shiga, Hakuba, etc, (populated areas). Just my .02 ;)