Help ippy out with cheap accom. [at Yuzawa]

Right, DEFINITELY* happening this weekend. I just realised not taking the shink is about an hour extra journey time - big whoop! - and saves 2500yen.

So kagura saturday, then bus back to gala yuzawa then off to yuzawa kenkouland for the night. Then sunday maybe ill hit up naeba since i can get there a bit earlier and have a wee ride home before popping back on the train around 5pm to arrive home about 8ish.

Actually, the 2 day kagura pass is 7,700 yen. So er, probably go with that then and maybe do a two day at naeba another weekend when ive got my bearings a bit.

Bus timetable seems to be 7.35, 8, 8.20, 8.40, 9.30 and 10.10 (18 minutes to mitsumata and 39 minutes to naeba) :)

Buses back to the station (more for my own future reference so i dont have to hunt the info down again):

Kagura (mitsumata): 15.08; 16.13; 17.23; 18.18; 19.18 and the last ones at 19.58

From Naeba...........: 14.51; 15.56; 17.06; 18.01; 19.01 and the last ones at 19.41

To get to gala yuzawa (for the onsen, which my google map tells me is pretty much next door - though it is only about a km away from echigo) theres a shuttle bus outside the hatago isen hotel on the west exit of echigo yuzawa. And the onsen place is literally outside the non gondola end of gala yuzawa by the looks of it.

The lifts look annoying as hell though :) Reminds me a little of akakura onsen: http://www.snowjapan...a-map-2010.html

Is it as much of a nightmare to get back from the tashiro area as it looks?

Anyways, thats the plan. Lets see how i find a way to wriggle out of it (though i have my stoke on again now that ive got a few turns under my belt i reckons)

Foot notes:

*probably1

1. maybe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is aberdeen the crossdresing capital of scotland? I thought it was fishermen and oil ri... ah! i see. No actual women live there.

Ah, Yuzawa Kenko Land! On Route 17.   And, it's close to the famous telephone box, so no excuses for not taking pics there!  

So this 2k place - has anyone ever stayed there? I might be doing a two dayer at the end of this month, thanks to the SJF guys, and perhaps only me going so need a cheap place o put my head down.

i just did. You know what, theres quite a few of these things. They even let you stay at the resort itself in kagura overnight. I dunno if its exactly comfy and warm, but theres a little room by the ropeway at the base station with futons and quilts. I didnt see a charge on there. You can stay till morning or something like that. Theres also a place on the mountain itself for 7k/night and that includes dinner and breakfast, oh, and because its at the top of the gondola station, you get easy first chairs. Theres also a place at kandatsu kogen for 3k/night and i think i saw another one somewhere, but i cant remember where. It seems cheap options abound in yuzawa for absolutely no frills kipping.

The onsen itself is rather good. Really baking hot. Nice little restaurant and the katsu set i got was kinda tasty. The kipping room itself is nice and warm - they have underfloor heating and soundproof windows. The door is annoying though, and my god, do people snore! All the best beds/locations are packed out quick as well. Oh and EVERYONE seems to wake up at 6, so forget trying to sleep beyond that :)

Overall, great value for money if youre going to gala. Its a bit of a mission to get back to kagura mind you, but if youre in gala just head back up the road (as the crow flies the onsen is literally a 2 minute walk, but unfortunately theres walls of snow in the way, so you have to walk along the road (kinda sketchy with lots of blind corners and no real path - so take precautions), and it takes about 15-20 minutes from gala. I was really tempted to hit up gala because its sooooo damn convenient for it, but decided that i had to go further into tashiro today.

The whole experience has kinda questined my nagano loyalty. Its also kinda questioned my niseko trip every year decision... when its chest deep if youre stupid enough to get stuck and have to unclip, why bother? I mean niseko has better and way longer lines, but the place is just really... fun? I think thats the word id use to sum it up. It reminds me in parts niseko, in parts kamui even. Something about the place and about the very mellow policy to lift running/tree riding has me just kinda slow burner loving it. The place doesnt really rip, but dear god, some of those lines off piste you can see makes me think "why would anyone bother going anywhere else?" If you lived there, the place seems to have that whole wonderland vibe :) I mean dont get me wrong, the piste doesnt blow me away. The lines are all kinda short (except that MISERABLE gondola green run and the path back to the kagura area from tashiro, but its just really fun. :) Consider me a convert.

Know what you mean..

I´m a convert in snowboarding. With ski, I would go bobbing up and down in deep snow. Not all skiers like that situation.

Snowboarding tops it. That surfy feel. Don´t really need more than knee deep.

It´s good when we find our own stoke. :D :thumbsup:

whats the story with it then Ippy, just rock up and ask for a space? Or do you have to phone ahead. interesting about the Ropeway at Mitsumata allows you to sleep overnight. I've seen people snoozing there at the end of the day with futon and blankets but didn't realise they allow you to stay overnight. How did you get from the GALA area up to kagura.......is there a bus route into Echigo Yuzawa station?

I didn't book when I went back in March - just rocked up there! Plus there's plenty of space, just don't forget that you can't take your snowboard/skis beyond the reception area. & I'd forgotten about that door! :lol:

just turned up.

I beleive theres two buses you can get from echigo yuzawa. The first one is out of the east exit and thats the bus up to naeba i think. Its 370 yen or so to get to mitsumata, but they charge you an extra 100 yen if you have your board bag with you.

The other bus is a kagura<-->echigo bus. Its a flat 300 yen and you pick that up outside the west exit (the side with the visitor center - it might be east, i cant remember), either way its kinda rare, (i think theres like 5 or 6 buses each way per day), but it goes at the right times. Just pop out the station and cross the road (you should be able to see a 7/11 once you cross the road (on the side you just crossed from), and theres probably a queue already formed. Its not all for kagura mind you.

Oh wait, i typed all that and realised what you were actually asking... doh!

Shuttle bus from gala to echigo, and then bus from echigo to kagura. :)

I didn't book when I went back in March - just rocked up there! Plus there's plenty of space, just don't forget that you can't take your snowboard/skis beyond the reception area. & I'd forgotten about that door! :lol:

oooh, something i did again... just leave your gear at the ticket desk in the main gala area. They keep it there overnight for 500 yen. Same price as a locker, but damn safe :) Well... kinda safe. The downside of that though is that they dont open until about 7.45 i believe. so if youre off elsewhere and want to get an early bus (since you got woken up at 6am), it can kinda suck. I did see a few skis in the main building (they have board and ski racks inside), with a small board lock wrapped around them, so i guess that means no one stops you leaving your gear overnight in the main gala area overnight (apparently gala also has actual board lockers, but its on the mountain once youve taken the ropeway up).

Ah! i have the kagura bus times...

7.40, 8.20, 9.15, 9.40, 10.35, 11. (goes to naeba too it seems).

Return times (from mitsumata)...

9.20, 10.15, 10.40, 11.35, 12. 15.45, 16.30, 17.15, 17.45 (for naeba departure, subtract 15 minutes... ie. bus 1 = 9.05 etc).

Oh, and to Maiko:

7.40, 8.30, 9, 9.30, 10.10, 10.40, 11, 11.40, 12.40, 13.40, 14.20, 15, 15.50, 16.40, 17.10, 17.40, 18, 19, 19.40.

From Maiko:

8.15, 9.05, 9.45, 10.15, 10.55, 11.25, 11.35, 12.15, 13.15, 14.15, 14.55, 15.35, 15.55, 16.25, 16.50, 17.15, 17.35, 17.45, 18.03, 18.15, 18.35, 19.35.

Bus takes 22 minutes to get to the resort, and 30 minutes to get back.

Im sure i grabbed more leaflets than that... hmm, maybe they got mashed by my board - i was in a rush to get that 3.45 bus (almost missed it) so my gear was soaking wet when i packed it and all the leaflets were in my board bag. Gommen. I probably winged them or something :)

The door is annoying though, and my god, do people snore! All the best beds/locations are packed out quick as well. Oh and EVERYONE seems to wake up at 6, so forget trying to sleep beyond that

Sounds lovely! ;)

What is it like one big room or something?

The door is annoying though, and my god, do people snore! All the best beds/locations are packed out quick as well. Oh and EVERYONE seems to wake up at 6, so forget trying to sleep beyond that

Sounds lovely! ;)

What is it like one big room or something?

According to the pictures, yes.

daikamin.jpg

yep, the genders are segregated. Though i do recall a rogue woman being in my section for some reason... I think they also have family rooms that are pretty cheap as well. Kanji yomimasen of course, but i think i saw something about 5-7,000 yen for them.

duuuudes, i just saw this on Wada Goya:

Experience Kagura Ski Resort to the fullest by staying up on the mountain at 1,380m altitude in Wadagoya Mountain Hut. Delicious meals, hot baths, draft beer, and automatic first tracks. Dedicated skiers and snowboarders could not ask for anything more. Wadagoya sleeps up to 32 on dormitory style futons.

For enquiries, please contact Prince Hotels.

In operation: Dec. 10, 2011 – May 5, 2012

Rates: 1 night with breakfast and dinner: Adults ¥7,000 Children ¥5,700

1 night accommodation only: Adults ¥4,500 Children ¥3,200

Check-in: Guests must check-in at the Kagura Ski Resort office by 3:00P.M. in order to make the last lift up the mountain to Wadagoya. Guests arriving between 2:00P.M. – 3:00P.M. will receive a free lift ticket for the remainder of the day (purchase of following day’s lift ticket required). Those who arrive between 12:00NOON – 2:00P.M. can purchase lift tickets for ¥2,000.

Check-out: Check-out is at 9:00A.M. (luggage can be left at Wadagoya for the day)

Meals: Dinner is served at 6:00P.M. and Breakfast is served at 7:00A.M.

Lights Out: Lights are turned out at 10:00P.M.

Amenities: Toilet, Hot Bath (please bring your own toiletries i.e. soap, shampoo), Shop, Lockers, Vending Machine, Public Phone

Discount Lift Tickets

Discount Mt. Naeba Joint Lift Tickets (including Naeba and Kagura) are available to guests staying at Wadagoya Mountain Lodge.

Adults: ¥3,000 Children: ¥1,500

Automatic First Tracks

Since Wadagoya Mountain Hut is located in the middle of Kagura Ski Resort, guests at the hut receive automatic first tracks in the morning before other skiers have the chance to make it up the mountain.

Warning: Getting to Wadagoya requires riding the Ropeway Tram, a lift and gondola. Please allow yourself time to reach the mountain hut. Once the lifts close for the day, Wadagoya is not reachable.

So thats breakfast, dinner, first tracks, a place to kip, AND you score super cheap lift tickets saving you up to 2k/day. Um, if youre going to kagura, honestly, unless its full, this is the deal you want!

Nice find Ippy. I really can't believe some of the deals coming out this season (I found a two day lift pass, accommodation, dinner and breakfast for 7000¥ at Akakan). I'll definitely check this out at some point this season.

is you KIDDING!!! thats insanely good! I knew myoko was starting to throw out some serious deals last year with hotels (the place i stayed had loads of thsoe budget tickets), but thats less than it costs you to buy the damn tickets!