Help ippy out with cheap accom. [at Yuzawa]

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is aberdeen the crossdresing capital of scotland? I thought it was fishermen and oil ri... ah! i see. No actual women live there.

Ah, Yuzawa Kenko Land! On Route 17.   And, it's close to the famous telephone box, so no excuses for not taking pics there!  

haha......your from Aberdeen right?

is aberdeen the crossdresing capital of scotland? I thought it was fishermen and oil ri... ah! i see. No actual women live there.

• Like 1

pooo! just scraped my bataleon too hard :( The angled part of the tbt (tbt/flat/tbt - the bits where the flat and the tbt intersect on the base), just went white. Ooops! Looks like you need to be way careful there if you plan on hot waxing. My airobic didnt have any trouble last year, but i think thats because the tbt wasnt so aggressive on it (or rather it was nearer the edges). Gave it a wee wax at those points so ill give it thirty minutes and have another crack at it.

So customer service announcement for bataleon owners: When hot waxing, scrape very lightly around those points on your deck (where the flat base intersects with the angled base). The rest can be scraped as normal, but that bit seems super easy to scrape the base dry.

Ok, here we go......there's an onsen place just off the main road below Gala Yuzawa station. For 2,200 Yen you can use all the onsens (which are v. nice) and then stay overnight in one of those big, open plan rooms (think of a school sports hall but more comfortable). They provide a futon and a blanket and there's also a small restaurant and tv room. For 2,200 yen and the cost of some earplugs, I don't think you can beat it!! On the downside, it's a bit of a trek from Echigo-Yuzawa station - I did it with a heavy snowboard bag the first night and it took a good 15 mins and nearly crippled me, so the next day I took a taxi! Gala Yuzawa station is much nearer (you can look up at the station from the back of the building) but I've never done it from there! The other thing was that you have to leave your snowboard/ski bag at the entrance, as you can't take luggage inside. There are small lockers in the changing rooms though, so you can keep your valuables in there but obviously not your snowboard/skis! & who's going to want to steal a scratched up Bataleon anyway ;)

So how does that sound? I'm planning to go to Kagura next week in which case I'll definitely be staying there again. :thumbsup:

The name of the place escapes me but it's something "land" and I picked up a leaflet for it at the Echigo-Yuzawa station tourist info centre. In fact i think it was they who recommended it to me in the first place!

Sounds mint! Cheers dudes.

Incidentally, mind explaining kagura-naeba-yuzawa. Its all a bit confusing. Are kagura and naeba connected? And yuzawa is actually just a small hill? But you need to get a bus from gala yuzawa to naeba? And it takes like 50 minutes right? But theres not much there except a massive huge hoel and a few little hotels? Am i picturing it right?

• SnowJapan Admin

I don't have time now but this might help

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/ski-resort-map-niigata-yuzawa-minamiuonuma.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/yuzawa-naeba-guide/index.html

Yuzawa is the name of the town.

There are about 15 skijo in Yuzawa town, and some more to the north in Minamiuonuma.

Some of the resorts have the name Yuzawa in them.

Naeba is an area of Yuzawa town, about 30minutes drive from the centre.

Naeba and Kagura are connected by the Dragondola, and are collectively known as Mt Naeba.

The main train station is called Echigo

The Gala Yuzawa skijo has its own Shinkansen station, just 1km further on, which also acts as the gondola station for the skijo. JR own both, you see.....

Must go!

cripes! (yes, i did just regress to the language of the famous five).

The dragondola just made things way complicated. So it connects kagura with tashiro then. http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-31.html

And tashiro connects with kagura. Hmmm seems you guys might be on to something with the whole skipping of gala yuzawa.

Maybe ill just get to naeba and check out that lodge oka or whatever its called (they seem to have a billit for 4.5k). and spend a day riding naeba, then day 2 get the big lift pass to explore kagura. Day 3 maybe either do kagura/naeba again or go back to yuzawa so ive got a straight shot after riding to get the train back.

So in order of interesting rides, is it kagura, naeba, yuzawa?

hey ippy, sounds like you have a good idea of what you're going to get up to over the next few days. To answer your earlier question, the deal is for the Kanko/Onsen part of Myoko Kogen. You can book it through the Kanko website.

ahh, is it like that ikenotaira thing they did the last few seasons then? Sounds interesting and ill probably grab that later on in the season. Yuzawa this week for a few days, then nozawa at the end of next week. I want to hit up some places in gunma, but nothing there really seems that interesting (or rather it seems like i might as well just head up to yuzawa if im going up that way anyway). Theres a place that looks neat for slackcountry, but i wont be touching that until its settled :)

Naeba is connected to the Kagura-Mitusmata-Tashiro area by dragondola, the K-M-T area is basically 1 big resort with lifts going everywhere. Access is either at the Mitsumata ropeway (then you ride down to the Kagura Gondola) or the Tashiro Ropeway then you ride over using the surface lifts to Kagura. Naeba is its own self contained village, it has the Prince hotel and a load of pension style places dotted with a couple of onsens and a few izakayas and restaurants. The bus from Echigo-Yuzawa (the main Shink station) to Mitsumata Ropeway is about 20 mins.....about 40 to Naeba. Yuzawa town (as SJ-David said) has a number of resorts dotted around it.

KK, so shink to ECHIGO yuzawa and not gala yuzawa then! That makes things nice and straightforward then. Off to kumagaya instead of omiya in the morning : ) Cheers. I thought the bus went from gala yuzawa.

ETA: Jesus. prepping for the first day of the season is some hard work! Its taken me longer to get packed and ready for this than it did the night before i left korea : )

No... but I have four excuses! :p

1. Im lame. Im going to bed at 6am, and getting up at 2pm again : )

2. Im pretty much broke (since august, ive earned a whopping 280,000 yen - get paid another 160k on new years though! woohoo!).

3. Im kinda worried a little about that dump. I reckon il wait till things settle down a bit. I dont like hearing stories about people sinking up to their necks. This aint thailand and i aint swimming. Im also extremely reckless. I will follow the pow into the trees even if i tell myself to not be an idiot. Its rather dangerous conditions for an eejit like me.

4. Im doing 4 days at nozawa next week with some mates and that beats the crap out of riding on your own for a few days.