Terminology - "Skiing" = skiing AND snowbaording?

confused.gif

I'm interested in this because it seems that even resorts themselves seem to include snowboarding when they say "ski". Even the work for a resort in Japanese is suki-jo. Do you think that will change in the near future? Snow resort, perhaps?

Even English media seem to say skiing when what they mean is "skiing and snowboarding".

confused.gif

....... sometimes I'm doing a ménage-et-troi 'thang' with Sandra Bullock and Liv Tyler ...... most of the time I'm just dreaming!

Why Skiing? Because it's the original, pure, clean original ....... 'Boarding is the Serpent in the Garden of Eden. ;\)

You Evil Single Plank People - REPENT ..... or you'll go blind! eek.gif

Happy Trails,

SZ.

I think you'll find that some resorts already have officially dropped the sukijo part, even if people continue to add it themselves.

Some good examples - GALA (I think they call themselves a Snow Resort), ARAI, Hakuba 47, etc

Up until recently, I used the term skiing when talking about jet skiing. My jet skis are just "skis", as in "I have 5 skis".

Now I usually use the term skiing when I mean snowboarding too, as in, "Lets go skiing this weekend".

However, I am NOT a skier. Even gave up the water skis for a wake board.

Course I may eat my words someday cause I've heard snow skiing is easier on the knees compared to snowboarding.

when im speaking to people i usually say "im going skiing" meaning im going to the ski slopes, but skiing isnt actually the activity i am partaking in. even though i board, i dont really ever say im going boarding (confusion due to the fact that i go to boarding school)

I (like most people it seems) use ski and snowboard somewhat interchangeably. It is a pain to say "ski or snowboard." Kinda like I would say "they" instead of "him or her," which is technically incorrect as well. While I do say "boarding" or "riding" a lot, I find I always say "skier's left/right."

I say skiing, though I'm a boarder, and peopel pass me on the left or right.

I think left or right is easier that behind or in front, because that changes depending on whether the boarder is natural or goofie.

Would you like me to post a complaint? - I could you know.

(Not that I care particularly, but I never say that I'm going skiing, although I have been known to say 'skiers right' once and been picked up on it.)

Well the whole idea of boarders right doesn't work because you ride horizontally opposed to the slope. So how about "Goofy/Regular Boarders Back/Front" as in "Go to the top of the quad and hit the trees just goofy-boarders back of the patrol shack."

Quote:
Originally posted by RayInJapan:
What does that mean - "skiers right/left?"
Pretty simple really its the left and right to the skier as he he coming down

coz it gets confusing if you are riding up a chair or standing at the bottom and you say "wow look at all powder to the left of the top chairlift" do you mean the current left and right relative to yourself or skiers left or right to a skier coming down.???