• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Preferably without accompanying Jon Bon Jovi song.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I miss her of course, but there is no grief - only joy at having known her.

I just thought that a good long life lived on your own terms without immense sufferring and independent to the end was how I would like to go. And her story is a good example of that. :)

Struck down young, without having ticked off many of the things you desired to do and see in your life, and in pain/dependent would be my worst nightmare.

Not sure I like the idea of being around when I'm in my 90s. Unless I was super fit of course but what are the chances.

pretty decent if you start a regime when you are young..... Take two fit 20yr olds, sit one at a desk job with little or no structured exercise for 40 yrs, and put the other one in 3+ times a week challenging workouts. Strength, cardio and resistance. At 60 you will have one person ready for retirement probably fighting with osteoporosis, and one who has people say...jeez, that fella has more energy than I had in my 30s!

I came across some seriously old skiers in Zermatt. One guy was 97. Still gets out on ski's everyday.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I miss her of course, but there is no grief - only joy at having known her.

I just thought that a good long life lived on your own terms without immense sufferring and independent to the end was how I would like to go. And her story is a good example of that. :)

Struck down young, without having ticked off many of the things you desired to do and see in your life, and in pain/dependent would be my worst nightmare.

This is an awesome outlook :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not sure I like the idea of being around when I'm in my 90s. Unless I was super fit of course but what are the chances.

pretty decent if you start a regime when you are young..... Take two fit 20yr olds, sit one at a desk job with little or no structured exercise for 40 yrs, and put the other one in 3+ times a week challenging workouts. Strength, cardio and resistance. At 60 you will have one person ready for retirement probably fighting with osteoporosis, and one who has people say...jeez, that fella has more energy than I had in my 30s!

I came across some seriously old skiers in Zermatt. One guy was 97. Still gets out on ski's everyday.

Yeah MB, I saw a lot of sprightly ancient looking people when I was in meribel.....I guess all that Alpine air and hucking up and down mountains all their life has done them the world of good.....less gnarled and much more Gnarly!!

Let's see, barely fit 20-year-old, 40 years at desk jobs, little or no structured exercise, two epochs of heavy smoking (20 & 10 years, with a 14-year break) -- damn, I'm dead! And just when ski season's right around the corner.

Let's see, barely fit 20-year-old, 40 years at desk jobs, little or no structured exercise, two epochs of heavy smoking (20 & 10 years, with a 14-year break) -- damn, I'm dead! And just when ski season's right around the corner.

What kind of skis ya got there Griz?? Shame to see them sit idle in your absence.. :wave:

Pretty simple, really.

After smoking for roughly 20 years I put them down and didn't smoke for about 14, and then started smoking again for about 10.

Put them down again just about six years ago now.

It's an addiction, and I'm an addict. Just because I'm not smoking now doesn't mean I won't again someday.

Fortunately I'm also addicted to skiing, and a few years back I realized that I had to choose between the addictions, because it was becoming obvious that if I continued to smoke I'd no longer be able to ski -- at least not the way I want to ski.

Pretty simple, really.

After smoking for roughly 20 years I put them down and didn't smoke for about 14, and then started smoking again for about 10.

Put them down again just about six years ago now.

It's an addiction, and I'm an addict. Just because I'm not smoking now doesn't mean I won't again someday.

Fortunately I'm also addicted to skiing, and a few years back I realized that I had to choose between the addictions, because it was becoming obvious that if I continued to smoke I'd no longer be able to ski -- at least not the way I want to ski.

20+14+10 = 44 and you probably started at 6yo.......................Happy 50th DiGriz :party:

Good question, frannyo, and I wish I had a good answer. Truth is, I woke up one morning and felt like having a smoke. Simple as that. :doh:

That I do understand. I smoked for the first time on my 13th birthday, sneaky on again off again until I was 17, then a pack a day habit. Quit for a year before I was married at 20, Quit for each of the 4 pregnancies, but started up again when they were newborn....but outside away from kids only. Managed to actually be smoke free for 12 years after NOT taking it back up after baby #4.

I have a lot of strikes against me also ... But you can't change the past. Only the future.