SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
SnowJapan

Some photos from Naeba 'in the old days'

Classic Pics there David especially the lifts

I noticed a sign with '1964' on it. Is that about when they were taken?

I have not been there yet but guess the mountains still look the same.

Doh! sorry I just noticed the 1964 reference at the top of your post.

WOW.

First time I went to Naeba was 74 so I see some familiar landscape.

What´s impressive is that the person in the photo has new gear and wearing shades. Sassy !

Metal poles and ski boots - Mine was wooden poles and leather mountaineering boots.

The mountain landscape looks the same, obviously, but the surroundings are quite different, with it being built up around Naeba now!

Lovely to see old pics of familiar places as a comparison.

Where's this one taken from? Can't get my head around the position

med_gallery_4338_35_16549.jpg

Puzzling me a bit as well that.

Is that the main Naeba slopes to the right hand side? And he must be standing on the other side of Route 17... where there is no skijo? :confused:

Or is he standing on Naeba and what we see in the background is where Route 17 snakes off to Yuzawa. Doesn't look quite right though for that.

Where's this one taken from? Can't get my head around the position

med_gallery_4338_35_16549.jpg

Hmmm. I don't know the place that well but I can't work that out either.

That photo was apparently taken where a covered part of Route 17 (火打スノーシェット) is now. In fact, you can see a snow covered Route 17 just to the right below the skier. That part of Route 17 is under the shelters now.

So the main Naeba skijo is on the slopes to the right of the photo here and the top of the mountain would be off to the right.

This skier is not actually on any official ski run - he would have hiked up to get there.

He might be at the top of what used to be Asagai (not sure if that's still operating).

That's a bit before even my time, though.

Jynxx, I think those are old leather ski boots, and I'd bet those poles have a metal ring attached with leather bands.

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.

Latest Community Content