• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the early winter forecast for Niigata-ken is that there will likely be heavy snow - in the plains (sato-yuki) more than in the mountain regions. Doesn't mean it won't snow lots of course, I think the main point they were saying was that there is a good chance of heavy snow in the northern lowland areas of Niigata.

• 1 month later...

was watching a programme last night about the upcoming weather, they were saying that as its a La Nina year then its gonna be very cold and we'll get more snow....showed some archive footage of Niigata city, Tokyo and a few others in the past during La Nina, getting uber pukage.....I hope its true, especially in the mountains but it seems that every year they are saying its a La Nina year

Yeah Niigata city doesn't need snow... bring it down here! :veryshocked:

I think it's called sato-yuki, when it snows relatively more on the plains than here in the mountains. I remember a few times when it has been truly dumping (in Niigata city terms) up in Niigata while it's lovely and sunny blue skies here in Yuzawa area.

We don't need Niigata city getting mad snow. In fact, when they do get mad snow, it means there is often less in the mountains. muika?

I know.....I was just meaning that I'd like mad snow everywhere

It's definitely winter in Siberia! We flew right over coastal Siberia on the way back to Japan yesterday.

Incredible mountain views -- would be some wonderful skiing up there, but might be hard to get to as couldn't see much in the way of roads, towns, etc.

[sKI SIBERIA: We Got Your Backcountry Right here!]

I wanna get in on the Afgan action. They got 7000m mountains! :omg:

This has been a serious trip I have wanted to take for a long time. I just need to find some people with good backcountry knowledge and some extra change.

The good thing about them power lines is that you can tell how far down the snow has come..... down to the first line, it's 2500m, the second line down to 1200m, etc. Like.... rulers!

I wanna get in on the Afgan action. They got 7000m mountains! :omg:

This has been a serious trip I have wanted to take for a long time. I just need to find some people with good backcountry knowledge and some extra change.

Mitch Pee, I'm your man! (just a bit short on BC experience and spare $$$)