OK so I am in the very early stages of thinking about a trip to Japan. Snowboarding is part of the deal of course but I'd like to check out a big city too.

Question is which one. Tokyo or Kyoto. I've seen the blurbs and stuff but some first-hand opinions would be good - which would you do?

> Hey I didn't realise that the two words were so similar until I wrote that!

If you want to expereince modern, metropolitan Japan, go to Tokyo.

If you want to to see a boatload of temples and shrines and experience a more traditional Japan, go to Kyoto.

It's not like you can't find temples in Tokyo or the urban crush in Kyoto - there is a certain amount of overlap, and from either locale, you can easily day-trip to find the contrast - like heading into Osaka from Kyoto, or heading to Kamakura or Nikko from Tokyo. Access to the snow areas may be easier from Tokyo, but I'll let the Kansai people chime in on ease of access from Kyoto. It really depends on where you're planning on boarding.

How linguistically astute you are! The "kyo" in both city names means the same thing, "To/kyo" being "Eastern capital", and "Kyo/to" being "capital city". The "to"'s are different though.

I really liked Kyoto/Osaka. They are really close to each other and a bit more laid back than Tokyo. Kyoto is a bit touristy but Osaka has an amazing nightlife and offers all of the weird quarky materialistic things Tokyo does. Kyoto has some amazing temples and sights as well, the forests in the outer part of the city are amazing.

Tokyo is really cool as well, lots to do and huge. It's easy to get around anywhere. I guess it's more of what are you looking to get out of it? If you want a massive dose of culture I would go to Kyoto/Osaka. If you want a party hard metro view of Japan I would check out Tokyo. Even though Osaka has the party hardness to it as well haha.

Like stated above both cities have a lot to offer, I am sure you will not be disapointed with either. If you really want to see temples, shrines, etc and experience more tradional culture than Kyoto and it's suroundings would be a better choice.

From Kyoto you can easily do a day trip to Nara which is also a lovely area, where you can see the largest buda statue in Japan, there are also many nice places to walk and take in some local culture, foods, etc.

You could also visit the BYODOU-IN temple in UJI in southern Kyoto, it is a world heritage site and also the design on the back of the 10 yen coin we have here in Japan.

I guess it depends what you want to get out of your trip.

BUT if its school girls panties out of vending machines, sleazy chinese happy ending massage parlours, spewing salarymen, pervy-voyeur one-way glass up-skirt, assisted dating cafes then Tokyo's your place!! wink

I'm sure they have those delights in Kyoto as well.

Well, maybe not as many.

With Tokyo though you have the added thrill of the "coming soon" Big One (quake). And, of course, more radiation.

Do one this time and the other next time.

Probably more important cost wise etc to get idea of flights sorted first and then plan it from there.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Here's what happens to perfectly normal females in Tokyo due to radiation

ganguro-girl-phone.jpg

Do many girls still do this? Can't say I have seen many myself of late.