Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
I'm seeing some 2012 Jones boards pop up as pre-orders/backstock on some websites now. So far I've seen Hovercraft, Hovercraft split, Solution and Mountain Twin. I put a Hovercraft 160 on pre-order from some place in Minnesota. $400 w/ no tax and no shipping smile

Still keeping my eyes peeled for a Flagship 168W, I haven't seen any of those up for pre-order yet.

Damn you Santa Cruz !!!! smile
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeh same thing happened when I got my Flagship... kept knocking them back further and further. The they eventually 'customs' held them up entering the US, then Customs hold it up coming into Australia because it is 'wood'.

You'll love the Hovercraft. I'm bigger than you and I float better than any of my friends. Easily zip past them and glide farther. I also much preferred my Hovercraft to the Rome Anthem and the Burton Fish or Malolo. Great buy.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: SKI
Good name that Hovercraft. Sounds like there's an engine on it!

one of my friends got so tired of getting stuck trying to follow me and/or falling behind as I bombed past him he left the mountain in the middle of the day to go get one. Follow someone on a Hovercraft and you'll think it has a motor!

In 2012, they have them in 160 (only 156 in 2011) and also a split-board model. It's so versatile, I can ride it switch on groomers as well.

I've just ordered a Lib Tec Skunk Ape C2 BTX wide board from Backcountry.com. It's 172cm, waist 26.8cm. I'm 6'4", boot size US 12.5.

They do a 180cm but I think that would be cumbersome outside of powder. (I tried out a 180cm no-brand 2 seasons ago for a few days and obviously it was great on powder but unwieldy on groomed runs.)

My current board is a Ride 165cm, waist 27cm. Good board but I always felt for such a wide board it should have been a bit longer. Imagine riding a tray. If you're 6'5", 165cm will seem like nothing. My advice is go a few centimeters longer than you think you need (you can always saw off a bit if it's too much). And if you want to be able to carve without toe-drag in size 14s, you will need a very wide board.

Tripler, I've got a Riders Choice BTW 165cm Wide. My understanding is that it's more or less the same board as the Skunk Ape. Took it to Niseko and it performed admirably for me, so the 172 Skunk should be super solid. Looking forward to a report once you get it out on some pow!

• 2 weeks later...

Keen to order a hovercraft but havent seen any available as yet anywhere........ any ideas?

I pre-ordered one from The House a few months ago. The last update I heard from them was that it was due to ship in Nov. They also said that they sold out their Hovercraft allotment in pre-order. I think you best bet is to see if any websites still have them available. If not then keep your eyes peeled come Nov, I'd imagine places with physical stores would carry them.