After the roller coaster ride that this country has been on for the last 2 weeks or so, there really hasn't been an appetite for snowboarding/skiing or having fun in general due to the terrible situation up North. There are a few threads on here about the pros and cons of getting out there again, however after deciding to get out of my funk I went to Kagura yesterday.

I'm so happy I did. After the weather of the preceeding couple of days, where I spent it down the beach, slapping suncream into my badly pate and drinking ice cold beers, i was expecting to be riding on spring snow, getting a bit wetter and heavier and more cement-like as the day wore on. Last year about this time I went to Gunma and the snow was so sticky that i couldn't get enough speed to launch from the edge of the kicker!! biggrin Well how surprised I was! It had just started lightly snowing, more the odd flake blowing through as I strapped in. the snow underfoot was soft and squeaky...the type that makes good snowballs! I took a warm up run down Mitsumata to check out the sides of the runs, all of which were untouched....the snow was perfect! Soft, light and powdery. I headed down to the Gondola and there was no one around, as I'm getting on the snow really starts to come down and looking out the window it appeasr no one has been down the long gondola run yet, so that was my first port of call.....again, fantastic snow, lots of boot top powder at the side that was virgin for me to defile! Usually I don't like the Gondola run so much because its all chopped up and its mega busy but yesterday it was ace. The top lift was open and that was calling me.......the forestry course is fantastic and I hate that Kagura don't open it until March (why is that?), but damn the conditions were excellent. I spent the rest of the morning lapping the top lift, in and out of the wooded areas, running high across the face and down towards the lift (actually the open face wasn't that good, some ice bombs lurking under the powder made it difficult and less enjoyable to ride) but the forest areas just kept giving face shots and boot to knee powder all day. As the snow got heavier and the wind picked up vis on the lift became pretty bad, you couldn't see but you could hear the few other riders up there coming through the pow forest with their whoops of joy....fantastic!! Had lunch and then it was back up to the top but this time I was linking through to the bottom of the Quad, through the side forests that eventually lead back onto the main Kagura slope. I have never had back leg burn like I did yesterday, my leg was killing me and by 3pm the top lift closed and I had to catch the bus back to the station at 3.50pm, so last run it was. From the top of the Quad I ducked under the lift itself (no one had been through here all day!) and into the forest, negotiated down onto the cat track that meets the end of the run out from the Top lift, cut across the track and under the ropes again into the trees that will lead back to near the bottom of the Kagura main slope and it was powder slashes all the way. This was meant to be my last day of the season and it served up my best day of the season.....who knows if it really will be my last day!! I didn't take my camera yesterday as I was on my own and I've a million and 1 photos of Kagura but damn it would've been nice to show you the goods.

If anyone is able to get out but are swithering for whatever reason, my advice is do it.....it'll cheer you up no end! smile

Thanks Kagura, you served up the powder goods once again!! biggrin

**small edit: Well disappointed that the stalls in the station were closed.....so no post snow+onsen doughnut and meat on a stick for me!! sadface Can't have everything!! biggrin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

Excellent, Tb.

Do you mind if we add an edited version of that to the Now page?

It would be an uplifting start to the weekend.

friend

Thats great TB - and pretty much exactly what I did last Saturday - same runs and everything! Perhaps it was a bit busier than it was for you, but we also had amazing conditions - 50 cms of fresh and it continued belting down the entire day! Hoping to get some more soon....

• SnowJapan Admin

Will do later on, thank you.

if anyone else has any real-time stoke from the places we cover, feel free to contact us and let's see if we can get encourage people to rediscover the will!

friend

March has been a really good month for snow sliding. The earthquake/Tsunami/nuke plant problems have really kicked this country right in the gut. Life however does go on. For some of us that means we will get back outside and enjoy this great planet. I got to spend lots of days skiing with my wife over the spring break.

fattwins_404.jpg

fattwins_405.jpg

fattwins_406.jpg

fattwins_407.jpg

fattwins_408.jpg

fattwins_409.jpg

fattwins_410.jpg

fattwins_411.jpg

fattwins_412.jpg

This last picture was taken today with my phone. I was the only one at 2pm to ski the center line down the bowl. Great snow for April wind blown powder.

fattwins_413.jpg

With a month left in the season there is plenty of snow left out there.

That is good to hear.

Gran Deco has also announced that they are planning to re-open Saturday, April 16, barring road construction issues. (The road there from Inawashiro town has managed to get one lane open so far.)

Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
That is good to hear.

Gran Deco has also announced that they are planning to re-open Saturday, April 16, barring road construction issues. (The road there from Inawashiro town has managed to get one lane open so far.)

There roads cut up Metabo?
How's things going over for you - able to get to anything like normal?
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
That is good to hear.

There roads cut up Metabo?

Apparently they were, just going by what is written on their website. Don't know anything beyond that.

Quote:
How's things going over for you - able to get to anything like normal?

Daily life at home is pretty much back to normal. Things at work look like it will take a while yet before we're firing on all cylinders again, but we'll get there.

I didn't bother to take the camera.....I have loads of kagura ones and I was on my own so it would've been "arm's-lenghth" pictures of my face, didn't want to scare people again!! wink Being honest though, because of the weather you wouldn't have seen much, and I was far too busy having fun to stop and take pics