Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

Ok, going to jinx it all:

These experts didn't realise that the tohoku region could expect a mag 9 yet they turn around and say it happens every 1,000years or so.

They then predict that the great kanto earthquake is overdue and every year that passes, the percentage remains the same?

Lets just call it what it is, fortune telling.

Yes there are going to be earthquakes. When will a big will (ba-doom-tish) happen? Who knows.

It might be tomorrow, it might be next year, it might be in a decade etc.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Perhaps some insurance companies, people who research quakes, and other related-s see the point in them saying stuff like this ;)

Well, I'm ready now. I have spend all of my money, eaten 20 sausages and 30 pieces of bacon on some thick bread buns. With butter no less....... And now I am munching on lots of chocolate. I think I'll finish up with a bowl of lard.

Dunno. But if people are crapping themselves and always hear stuff like this I would think more people are going to take out policies.

And on the tv the other night they were advising people to get their houses done up to prepare for the eventuality etc.

OK I'll take my cynical hat off now.

They then predict that the great kanto earthquake is overdue and every year that passes, the percentage remains the same?

From what I can remember, the percentage does not stay the same.

It has been steadily increasing as time goes on.

There's absolutely loads the national government, local governments, and businesses can do in preparation, so here's hoping it encourages them to do it. Decentralization out of Tokyo is probably the most sensible approach, but don't hold your breath waiting for that one.

Loads of tv programs show folks eating at low tables surrounded by tansus and wardrobes full of stuff, with boxes and more stuff, sometimes the telly, on top of them and then sleeping on a futon on the floor next to those "bridal" wardrobes. That's not a very wise thing to do.

Perhaps some insurance companies, people who research quakes, and other related-s see the point in them saying stuff like this ;)

Well, I'm ready now. I have spend all of my money, eaten 20 sausages and 30 pieces of bacon on some thick bread buns. With butter no less....... And now I am munching on lots of chocolate. I think I'll finish up with a bowl of lard.

Yep they all have something to gain. Kinda like the choco companies declaring "White Day", Pocky making "Pocky no hi" and just last week during a House curry commercial......"kare no hi" Laughed my ass off at that one.. :lol:

Damn, I have no money left and feel bloated due to too much sausage, bacon and lard.

:doh:

BTW, how is the nuclear plant situation coming on? No dome yet, I fear...

That'll explain it! & a little too close to Fuji-san for my liking! Not that I know if an earthquake could awaken a sleeping volcano!! :wakaranai:

Just wondering whether there should be a seperate General Earthquakes topic for stuff like this, rather than posting on the Tohoku one?? Any thoughts SJ Admin/mods???

• 1 month later...

Japan's post-disaster reconstruction efforts hindered – by ghosts

Numerous reports of ghost sightings have reportedly been made by residents in the city of Ishinomaki in Miyagi prefecture, home to nearly a fifth of all tsunami fatalities.

Reconstruction and repair have been put on hold in some instances due to workers' fears that the spirits of the dead who passed away a year ago will bring them bad luck if they continue, according to AFP.

Highlighting one half-repaired supermarket, local Satoshi Abe, 64, told the agency: "I heard people working to repair the store became sick because of ghosts. People died here everywhere, here and there. The city is full of such stories."

A taxi driver, who did not want to be named, added that he was unwilling to stop in certain parts of the city that were badly damaged in the tsunami for fear of picking up a customer who is a spirit of the dead.

Meanwhile, another local woman described hearing stories of people seeing queues of people rushing towards the hills, a replay of their final moment as they attempted to escape the tsunami, according to AFP.

As the first anniversary of the disaster approaches, Ishinomaki appears, on the surface at least, to be returning to a new level of normality, with the tsunami debris cleared away in most areas and a growing number of businesses reopening.

At the same time, the emotional impact of the massive losses of human life are clearly continuing to take their toll on residents: close to 4,000 Ishinomaki locals were killed in the tsunami out of a total death toll of 19,000 for the northeast region.

However, experts described the city's apparent widespread belief in ghosts as a "natural" side effect of a large-scale tragedy which wiped out vast swathes of the community and a potentially positive part of the healing process.

"Human beings find it very difficult to accept death, whether they are inclined by nature to superstition or are very scientifically minded," said Takeo Funabiki, a cultural anthropologist.

"A sudden or abnormal death, anything other than someone dying in bed of old age, is particularly difficult for people to comprehend.

"When there are things that many people find difficult to accept, they can find expression in the form of rumours or rituals for the dead, among other things. The point is that it takes the shape of something that you can share with other people in your society."