Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

I was in a small town called Ofuna that day.

Cracks appeared in buildings that day, and the road was undulating. That long walk home as well gave me plenty of time to think.

On Sunday, we were walking our dog in the park, when the park came to a standstill and everyone observed a minute's silence. Some tears were shed, and thoughts were with our friends in Iwate and Sendai.

That day definitely rammed home many things that day.

• 1 month later...

Nice story

A teenager who lost his home in Japan's tsunami last year now knows that one prized possession survived: a football that made it all the way to Alaska.

Officials from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) say the ball is one of the first pieces of debris from the tsunami to wash up on the other side of the Pacific.

A man found the ball while beachcombing on an Alaskan island. His wife, who is Japanese, talked with its owner, 16-year-old Misaki Murakami, by phone at the weekend. They plan to send the ball back to him soon.

Murakami said: "It was a big surprise. I've never imagined that my ball has reached Alaska." He told public broadcaster NHK. "I've lost everything in the tsunami. So I'm delighted."

All the furniture and sentimental items in his home in Rikuzentakata, more than 3,000 miles (5,000km) from Alaska, were washed away in the 11 March tsunami which devastated a long stretch of Japan's north-eastern coast and killed about 19,000 people.

how long did it take you to walk from Ofuna to Futamatagawa, MiJ?

About 3 hours in the end - it was 15 kms or so, but picked up a couple of 歩きビール for the trip.

Just had a read back through some of this topic.

Interesting reading.

Heady times for a bit there.

(What's with the funky original post time, 12th March 8am??, it was 10 mins or so after the original quake right?)

• SnowJapan Admin

Hmm, I really don't know klingon.

The recent time stamps all seem to be ok.

I can only presume something to do with the move over from the old to new Forums last year.

歩きビール

:lol:

Never heard that term before, did you just make it up!?

you haven't heard that before? a walk of any distance means you gotta have a walker-beer to go along with it!! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That programme was more about the panic/transportation situation after the event than earthquakes in general wasn't it.

I suppose there might be a few programmes in the coming days as the 3rd anniversary approaches.

Everyone has an 'I was there when...' moment in their lives.

This one was bloody scary. Now whenever even a little tremor happens, I take it very, very seriously.

I can't believe that even after only 3 years they are talking about a return to nuclear.

Actually when we moved into our new house last Autumn, we got two quakes here only small, but enough to shake the house a little and just to remind us the Mother nature is always ready to get angry at anytime.

The leading story In Nagano in the past few days has been the farmers getting close to 100% compo for the cost of dismantling their poly tunnels that were crushed by the big snow the week before last. It sounds like some hotels are after it too for cancellations.

Which is fine, until you consider that some people lost their home, their fields, their fishing grounds, and their entire community due to radiation and two years later have received next to nothing.