apparently a fair few of the ol' codgers meet their merry end toppling of their snowy roofs.

but then again an estimated 14000 people die in their baths each year.

this country is full of hidden dangers

Ok just to make you feel better

• its cold so things freeze, the shower freezes, your toothbrush freezes, your snowboots freeze to the genkan floor, the window freezes shut or open if youre unlucky, plates in the drying rack freeze...
  • snow gets into you genkan and melts, sometimes theres a half centimetre of water slopping round there
  • you HAVE to shovel the snow. It doesnt matter if your cold, you work late, youre sick, you cant be stuffed - you have to do it hardens and all is lost.
  • anytime you want to go anywhere you gotta dig out your car and deice the windscreen. Walking is icy
  • you redefine your sense of fashion from " does it look good?" to "how warm is this?" the result is a majorly uncool you that youll only notice if you go to a big city - and then its too late

[you dont wear shoes anymore, snowboots are the only thing on your feet

• you dont go out as much because its so hard to go out into the snow/cold and youd have to sort out your car anyway (see post above) so you just go to bed earlier

ok thats enough. Good points are so many - just making you feel better (and trying out this list function cool.gif )

• Your car looks like somebody has sprayed it with mud
  • You have to learn to drive in all sorts of hellishly dangerous conditions (almost as fun as snowboarding itself!)
  • It can feel like a human rights abuse if you forget to put your electric blanket on 30 minutes before you need to go to sleep.
  • People moan about the cold. You'd think they'd get over it after a while and shut up, but no, they don't.
  • You get sick of seeing people wearing fleeces all the time.
  • Dragging yourself outside for some exercise other than snowboarding and shopping requires a major effort of will.

Otherwise it's great.

I would like be able to drive up to snow, not to live in it. Tokyo still is not ideal place for me as fara as access to snow, but hey, compared to New York, I'd take Tokyo any day. May be place like Denver, Taos, SF may be ideal places (don't have a feel for European towns, thou).

I bought a remote starter for the van and surf - start them about 25 minutes before going to work and the drive to work is toasty warm...I only have to scrape the windows when I forget to set the defrosters before locking the van up for the night.

Rented a house that has a built in kerosene heater in every room except the "genkan" but even it stays around 10c except in the wee hours of the morning. No frozen pipes or windows for us. Kerosene bill is only about 27,000 yen in the worst of winter...

Bought a snow blower - best $279 I ever spent - makes easy work of everything but wet, heavy snow. Doesn't make it any faster but no more back breaking work.

I do hate the salt and mud that gets all over the vehicles but it rains a lot during the summer so it seems like no matter what - they're always dirty...

I don't understand it - but the young gals up here still wear mini skirts...they must have something unique in their blood.

More babies are created during the winter here due to the last bullet in Zwelgens post. We're not on tap yet, but we sure enjoy trying...

Ocean has it right - when we forget to set the electric blanket, it really blows...

Apparently the girls with miniskirts in the winter are putting themselves at risk of never having children. The constant chills blowing south to north can do permanent damage. That's why many schools in Nagano have introduced trousers AND skirts for girls.

Downers about living in the snow country would be that your range of cheese would be greatly reduced. Definitely worth keeping in mind if you don't want to lose out on all that cheesy nutritious fun!

Echo Valley. It was pretty good actually. I'm all aching but relaxed for the weekend. Nothing like a good arvo's boarding to take you completely out of the grim workaday world.

About 2 hours, but as I usually go with other people, there's always mucking about of one sort or another and it seems to take for ever. Big undertaking. I'm increasingly reluctant to make the effort.