• SnowJapan Admin

Just a quick request about photos.

If you want to post snow photos on the forums, please upload them to our site and then link them in from there.

We have put lots of effort into making the process as simple as possible to do this, more info on that here:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/389415/GUIDE_Uploading_photos_to_Snow.html

It's pretty easy.

Basically what I want to say is - if you enjoy using these Forums, are happy to help support us and at the same time help other people using this site, then please do upload them here.

Some people don't seem to realise that they can upload them here, or that we would prefer that and why, so I just wanted to make the point.

We don't ask much of people who use the site, so hope that this is not such a big ask.

Let me know if you have any questions or encounter any problems.

Thank you.

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

If you don't want to, then... don't!

Not begging you to.

And, if you feel like that then why are you here?

I'm simply pointing out to friends how they can be supportive, that's all.

Blimey, we really don't ask much of people using the site. In fact, I would say we ask almost nothing, so forgive us for a simple request/reminder every now and again!

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
And what if we don't want to help out or feel supportive?

confused
If you are making a point of not wanting to 'help of feel supportive', why are you on here? Some people come on here, make use of the site/forums/services that are offered to them for free, take their lot and then balk at the idea of spending a few extra minutes to help out and/or have a go like that.

Sod right off, is what I'd feel.
  • SnowJapan Admin

The fact that @tokyo sent us an email with elaborated feelings on the matter makes me fairly sure that he didn't...

Anyway, look, I do not want this to become some kind of mouth off thread. Please see my original post... that's all!

Thank you.

Wow...I thought for sure it was a "funny". wakaranai

Anyway.,,

Happy to post pictures but the thing about me is....

On a day out skiing I sometimes go the entire day without stopping. I'm just cheap and squeeze every last drop out of that 5000 yen lift ticket. I usually have my camera with me but I almost always just forget to take it out. I kinda admire you guys who can stop and "smell the roses" once in a while. Something to work on I guess.

I must admit that I almost never take photos whilst skiing anymore. Living here instead of being on a holiday also means I already have a heap of photos from over the years and these days can rarely be bothered taking the camera with me unless I'm going somewhere totally new.

I must also admit that for all photos I do take I upload them onto another photo sharing site and it can be a pain in the butt then having to upload them all again to this site. The 8mb size for each photo is good but a lot of photos I take these days are over 10mb which means to upload them on here I have to resize them as well which again is a pain in the butt.

• SnowJapan Admin

OK well we can fairly easily increase the limit and I will ask my colleague to look into that.

I really don't think it's that much of a 'pain in the butt' to upload them here, it hardly takes much effort. But as I said before we would hope that people on here and taking part and enjoying our site would perhaps consider helping and supporting us by taking a small effort to do that. It's not really much to ask, especially after all the many hours of fun that people get from the site (including enjoying the photos uploaded by other people who have taken the effort).

That's what I think anyway.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
The 8mb size for each photo is good but a lot of photos I take these days are over 10mb which means to upload them on here I have to resize them as well which again is a pain in the butt.

10mb?! Are you taking like 12mp shots on RAW mode then? omg
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Mine seem to come in at between 3MB and 6MB each, and I have them on the highest JPG setting on my D300.
I certainly haven't taken one over 10MB or even close to that I would guess.

Same here. RAW will bump that up a bit although I never use it.

Why do people who are not pro photographers want to use raw? Not really cottoned on to that.

Whatever, I suppose the bottom line is that if people simply can't be arsed, they still won't be arsed even if there was no limit.

So I'm sure you don't need to raise that limit which I presume would give more load on the server etc...

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Maybe GN will elaborate. I do actually use RAW a little with photos on my pens. It is in fact more flexible in Photoshop.

read that as "a little with photos on my penis". lol

There is an option on most modern cameras when shooting RAW to also capture in JPG. If you want to post/upload photos and don't want to work them in photoshop then set the JPG capture to small or medium - plenty big enough to view here and have everyone drooling.

If you have large files and want to upload them, download a simple program for resizing (there are plenty of free apps out there) and set the horizontal length to 600 pixels. This will give you the perfect size files for viewing and small enough for very quick uploading - around 200k.

Hope that helps and keep posting those photos! I love seeing what I'm in for this February on my first trip to Japan.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Maybe GN will elaborate. I do actually use RAW a little with photos on my pens. It is in fact more flexible in Photoshop.

read that as "a little with photos on my penis". lol

Sorry Rob,, two mistakes in fact....

Photos OF my PENIS... evilgrin
Originally Posted By: Stumpy
Hope that helps and keep posting those photos! I love seeing what I'm in for this February on my first trip to Japan.

I'm itching to get my camera out up on the hill. For me taking photos on a fine day is as fun as the skiing. You'll notice when I have been out, hopefully first time will be before the end of this coming weekend.

thumbsup

Will gladly post photos when I have some.

I have spend many hours looking at other peoples photos on the site, only seems fair and good manners to give some back. wink

First trip is in a few weeks.

Keep up the good work, I sure think that you deserve people doing simple stuff to give something back to you and the community.

thumbsup