• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im guessing the insurance company will not cover it because they think the other person is liable - which he probably is. His expenses should be covered by the out of control noob. If you get injured by someone else, you should get their details, same as if you are involved in a road accident and its the other persons fault.

BTW, dont most ski resorts include some insurance as part of the ticket price?

I think all resorts have insurance... I've noticed an increase in companies that provide travel insurance listing snowboarding/skiing as an extreme sport that is not covered in their typical policy. You must pay extra for coverage.

I always check that it is covered...use HBF coverage mainly now. They still wouldn't cover you for off piste though I reckon. It does not say, and could be argued, but the insurer will always look for an out.

Lesson is always read the small print. Its boring and tedious, but I find a good bottle of red always makes it easier.

There is no point taking out a policy if you don't understand it. Some times you will need to get documentation, evidence, statement etc at the time of the incident. Trying to get it days later can harm your claim.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Hey Minty,
Do you happen to know why that guy's insurance won't cover him for the injury? Sounds like something to watch out for!

Its my understanding that ALL resorts in Japan MUST carry insurance and a small part of the lift ticket goes towards that. Might well be worth looking into.

If its a noob that hit him highly unlikly it will BC or off-piste though wont it?

I have SKI specific insurance when I go skiing. It covers personal injury. It does not distinguish who is at fault.

If you get **** up, you get mended pronto. Is that not capish? The insurance pays for it.

this is exactly why I'm against private health insurance! These companies always try and wriggle out of paying....its not a car thats broken, something that can sit in a lot while they decide if its covered.....its a human being!! One that needs immediate treatment to get it back to full fitness...... veryangry

His fine print said it didn't cover ski or boarding injuries. Gutted huh.

I don't know about happo, but our map for nozawa has a note saying you should always take out personal insurance as they won't cover accidents, so maybe not all fields in japan have insurance.

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
His fine print said it didn't cover ski or boarding injuries. Gutted huh.

I don't know about happo, but our map for nozawa has a note saying you should always take out personal insurance as they won't cover accidents, so maybe not all fields inI japan have insurance.

I would look into this closely! I may have the wrong info but if I dont there is still hope.

wow minty that sounds so horrible, the poor guy :(

Hope your leg heals up and is nothing major, all part of the game ay!!

So i got home yesterday, flights got changed to the 15th instead of the 14th at the very last min, spent a night in Chitose and then flew to Osaka and then home, we landed in NZ at 5.30am 16th local time and left our hotel and 8am Saturday 15th in Japan.

I was worried about DVT (blood clots) and when i got home took my shoes and socks off and my feet were so massive and i had all this new bruising around my ankle on my injured leg and freaked out, we had only managed to get an hour sleep on the plane rides so were super tired. Went straight to hospital, 7 hours later after an ultra sound and A LOT of sitting and waiting we left, they couldn't see any blood clots but my blood tests were a bit funky, they wanted me to stay over night but all i wanted was food and my own bed so i checked out, after around 30 hours being awake i finally got to bed.

Ankles are smaller today but knee is still swollen. Have made appts to get the ACC (free NZ healthcare) under way and then i'll have to get MRI and xrays done, watch this space.

Was supposed to be back at work today but am taking an extra couple of days to get my knee sorted.

My travel insurance covered everything and they were so good to deal with, cost me $100 NZD and i have spent around $1000 at the hospital etc not to mention business upgrade for my self and my partner all the way home smile

happy to be home thou, but what an awesome holiday, will be recommended Japan to everyone smile

The guy with the broken arm forgot to tick the box for snow sports that is it. Call or get an email from your insurance provider that states that you are covered for snow sports, if you are ever worried.

Hope the legs come back good as new or better!

Sorry guys been catching up on work, its been a flat out few days, almost 5pm Friday and time for some lazy beers.

Still hobbling and still waiting for ACC to come to the party, called my doctor today and they had forgotten to send the form to ACC so more waiting... Cause im still hobbling and still swollen and restricted movement, my medical assessment is looking more likely to have ligament damage :( just going by past experiance with my other knee.

How ever i am still hopeful that it wont be..

I will keep you posted.

Business class was pimp haha smile

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
Gutted chick, get well soon, hopefully the ligament is ok and you don't need surgery. Lots of physio and rest and yay for the upgrade!
Bit worried I have reopened my knees ligament tear as it has been swollen and sore, but can still ski on it, for now!

A guy at our lodge in hakuba was taken out by a noob boarder on his third day, the other guys board sliced his arm open and shattered his forearm. Insurance won't cover it, or the early return to Aussie for surgery, but he was in relatively good spirits - was stoked about the awesome time he had before the accident.

This is outrageous. Did you ask which company he was insured with?

Many years ago, I was insured with AIA in HK, went to Lake Louise, and some huge fellow ski-ed into me while I was about to enter the ski queue. The "Friend of Canada" leading the group told me that he'd had experience in this type of collision and that I was only winded, and I believed him. So I actually got on my skis and ski-ed down to the ski patrol. After half an hour, they sent me to Banff by ambulance, and then after another hour or so, they sent me by ambulance to Calgary. By then the pain was so severe, I thought I was going to meet my maker, and made the ambulance attendant promise to tell my wife that I loved her and the kids.

Diagnosed with a split kidney, spent 2 weeks in hospital and missed out on a week at Lake Louise and the next at Delta Lodge at Whistler.

AIA covered all hospital expenses including some further treatment on my return to HK.

I'm going to Niseko end of Feb.