• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SJ-David
Yes it is getting very late now.
But hopefully, please, onegai shimasu, tonight it should snow.

YuzawaNow_1065.jpg

So... what's it looking like now?? BTW is that cam live? if so where?
  • SnowJapan Admin

Hello JA, please see this thread:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/390973/Our_new_Yuzawa_webcam_how_s_th.html

It is a camera pointing out of our office. The above image is not live but the image shown on the below page is live:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/webcam/niigata/yuzawa-town-webcam.html

Thank you so much ... bookmarked for future reference!

Looking OK, a bit thin but sure (we hope) to get better and better in the nearish future. wink

OMG hardly any snow still. Even here in Yamanashi is doing much better. I went for my first ski of the season today to my local ski resort, and had powder all day. It snowed about 15cm last night, and snowed all day today, getting quite hard by the end of the day.

Was nice to start the season with powder even though it was not that deep.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Looking OK?
Are you kidding?
It looks desolate and like what I hope for early November or something, certainly not New Years Ever! wink
At least it is snowing now so please come on down.
Nope, not kidding at all. At the moment it is well above 28 degrees here, so any white stuff is OK by me!

You guys all seem to think that there has to be acres and acres of 6 ft deep before it's OK, Ask GoNative, he'll recall years when the skiing in Oz was so good that the fishiong rods were the best thing to happen! I've skiied on "20cm" of snow (and that was in the drifts - the majority of the runs were slush and mud).

So, don't give me any of your pessimism! I am optimistic that there will be a sufficiency of white stuff to slide on when I arrive mid January!

My wild guess is that Go Native may well think that not enough snow to open up a resort is certainly not enough snow, especially when it is almost new year, and certainly not "looking good".

• SnowJapan Admin

I'm sure the conditions of resorts in Australia aren't of any concern to the resort managers in Yuzawa right now.

There are still only limited runs open at the town resorts and we are now entering the very important New Year holiday after missing Christmas. To be struggling at this time of year is 'worst nightmare' kind of territory for people in the region.

Happily, though, most places are partly open now but certainly not the conditions that are expected for New Year in this region.

YuzawaNow_1067.JPG

YuzawaNow_1066.JPG

YuzawaNow_1068.JPG

Here's 22nd December last year to compare:

Click to reveal..
YuzawaNow_929.JPG

Too hot for the rice and now this. Niigata will be glad to see the back of 2010. Better luck in the New Year fellas.

Random factoid #3452. About 120 years ago, Niigata Prefecture had a bigger population than Tokyo.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
But please make sure she doesn't get buried under the inevitable snow that will come.
D'you hear that, Huey? Make it so! Make it snow!