How much do you push for a discount?

I was talking about this with my friend.

He has a "rule" in an electronice shop. He says he'll only ask for a "better price" when the something is more expensive than 10,000 yen.

I realised that I don't have a number like this but I don't ask for cheap things, as you might expect.

I have been known to take a printout from offline as an incentive for them to come down a bit. They must really hate that.

I remember when I bought some skis last time round I brought them down by about 10,000 yen which was a fair percentage on the skis I bought.

Where's your line?

Originally Posted By: igloo
I have been known to take a printout from offline as an incentive for them to come down a bit. They must really hate that.

Oh yes they do.

And how they love people who never ask. wink

Never thought about it. I just know when I feel I 'deserve' a bit off.

I usually can't be too bothered on many things under 30,000 or 40,000 yen. Above that I'll bring it up. But my wife is a master at getting the deals. In fact, I usually have to walk away and let her do her thing. The look on the salesperson's face is comical. That deer in the headlights zombie stare.. Next week...new 52 inch TV...should be amusing.

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
I usually can't be too bothered on many things under 30,000 or 40,000 yen. Above that I'll bring it up. But my wife is a master at getting the deals. In fact, I usually have to walk away and let her do her thing. The look on the salesperson's face is comical. That deer in the headlights zombie stare.. Next week...new 52 inch TV...should be amusing.

Whats her secret? or is it a lady thing?

My trick is to look for the laziest looking salesperson and hit them up for a discount. Usually, if you ask the lazy guys they'll tell you their bottom price straight away so they can avoid having to haggle with you. If I don't like the price I just walk away... if they let you walk away then you've probably asked for too big a discount. I had big success last weekend while TV shopping getting about 20,000Y off the sticker price wink

Originally Posted By: Schneebored

First, find the best price from Kakaku.com for some kind of reference.

Second, DO NOT talk to just any salesperson...go to the top.

Third, never accept no for an answer and always be flexible in what is considered a good deal.

Fourth, be persistent and you will wear them down.

And last, be friendly, and gorgeous.

The last one is tough for me because I'm not so friendly... wink

Nice list! I ended up getting my new TV for 700Â¥ less than the cheapest listing on Kakaku! The salesdude was lazzzzzyyyyy... and possibly hungover. By the way, the waiting list for delivery on almost all TVs right now is about a month. ECO points are being reduced by 50% at the end of this month!

I always pay too much. Do not like to haggle.

Papa haggles for a living....I send him to buy the big stuff.

Funny thing though was watching him in Bali/Thailand where haggling the price is the norm. He would beat these guys down to rock bottom - they protested they needed to feed their families and he was an evil Aussie businessman. I would walk away - not look - I could not stand it! Then he would give them a larger denomination note to pay for the produce and tell them to keep the change and walk away. Game played, fun had. Drove me insane!

Originally Posted By: Schneebored

First, find the best price from Kakaku.com for some kind of reference.

Second, DO NOT talk to just any salesperson...go to the top.

Third, never accept no for an answer and always be flexible in what is considered a good deal.

Fourth, be persistent and you will wear them down.

And last, be friendly, and gorgeous.

The last one is tough for me because I'm not so friendly... wink

Say that you've been to other local shops and giving their price is also a good one. When you get close to the line, some shops are more willing to go further with points than with more cash off, if points suit you.

Paying with cash generally helps too.

Every few months, GoodsPress type magazines do a feature on haggling. They sometimes do it on tv too. The main thing is that you're not being a bastard by taking kakaku print outs etc. Magazines full of shop adverts and tv programs sponsored by shops wouldn't give such advice if the shops really gave a toss.

It's all going to depend on the dude you catch isn't it.

I can't see them being sensitive enough to take offence at people taking printouts. It just shows you are out to get the best price. Don't be cocky be as charming as you can be at the same time sounds like a good strategy to me.