Paying into some fund at work

Does anyone else have this at work?

They want everyone to pay 5000 yen a month --- what I can tell is that this goes on things like coffee, snacks, parties every so often. But everyone seems to pay it, even though it is officially voluntary.

I don't like paying it because I hardly go to parties and don't partake in the other stuff, but wondering whether to take the TOTALLY RADICAL step of not paying. lol

Seems like that to me but the argument is it includes a number of parties during the year - some of which I don't go to, and indeed some other members don't go to. No-one seems to question it though and just pay.

Anyone else have things like this going on?

Ah office parties yes.

The parties that many times only a few people there actually want to be there!

Funniest I have been to is one where you could almost tell that no-one wanted to be there.

Everyone was knackered after an event, didn't feel much like having yet another party - but still coughed up 5000 yen to pick at some food and in the case of quite a few people just have a sip or two of a drink.

Had to laugh.

I think the teachers in a place I used to work have something actually taken out of their salary before they get it that goes into some kind of "party/event/trip" thing.

Always makes me laugh the way they go on trips together. Surely you would want to be AWAY from your work colleagues when not working, not spending more time with them.

they do that in the schools I work in, but its 2k a month....not that I pay it. i never drink the coffee, if I want to have coffee I take my own in.

On a similar note my neighbourhood has a similar thing, although its just a 1 off payment. Its ridiculously small, like 5k, but the fact that we were pressured by the neighbourhood people to pay up really rankled me and me and my missus had a bit of a shouting match about it. I still didn't get an answer as to what the money is used for, something about the local festivals (of which in 4 years I have seen none) and someting about the local primary school......I don't have any kids!! The amount is inconsequential, I just hate being told what to do, especially when they say its voluntary (but you have to pay)

5000yen a month - sounds well shady. I would refuse unless they give a clear balance sheet every year showing all the itemized ins and outs.

My work doesnt do that, but we have enkais a lot. The people coming/going do not have to pay so it makes it even more pricey for everyone else (who are mainly only going out of giri towards the leaver). Last time I had to pay 5000yen, I only had 3 small beers and a share of a really bland chanko nabe. Well, it is a good excuse not to attend the parties.