Hows this for a travel plan? 1 night / 4 'days'

Leave Haneda late night Friday.

Fly to Singapore.

Stay Singapore Saturday night.

Leave Singapore Sunday night.

Arrive back Haneda Monday morning.

They are advertising it as a 1 night / 4 day trip.

To me that is the opposite of appealing!

hmmm.. Well considering I am heading to Sing on a Friday Night flight (in Dec) and flying home Monday night - Papa and 2 kids in tow - ummm...

But no...it doesn't sound like fun.

We will be there Fri Night, Rugby competition Sat and Sun, mooch around Sunday, fly home early evening.

Papa is going this week for about the same time too.

But you have to be going for a reason, don't you.. Although I suppose if you were time poor and wanted a get away...

Originally Posted By: Go Native
May well be nothing wrong with Singapore but what possible reason would you have to want to go there on a holiday?

First 3 times it was the terminus for rather lovely cruises - SO relaxing as a holiday with kids.
These two times - Rugby. This week to watch, Dec to take the little guy to play in a tournament.

BUT.. I like the zoo, I like Sentosa (my Dad lived in Sing when he was a boy for a few years and the stories of Sentosa have special emotion attached for me). But I believe there has been some massive building works going on, and loads more to do and see - I am looking forward to discovering the changes.
Originally Posted By: brit-gob
I'd like to go, but not on that plan!

Same here - lots of culture, continuously voted one of the best places to live, great food, amazing night life, would love to visit Boat Quay too.

I used to find the idea of the lady spending tons of time on her holidays buying omiyage maddening. Now I fully support her buying the stuff online from a Japanese service to have it delivered the day after we come back. It might be more expensive but we don't have to cart it back (ie. more beans / hp sauce / crunchies) and she can not have to think about omiyage.

Sounds silly but I have been sold on the idea.

Some Japanese package trips (ski trips included) are really great value but all that deceptive 3-night/4-day (two nights on plane) nonsense makes the ones worth going on difficult to find.

I once went to Singapore arriving at 6am and leaving 10pm. It was years ago in transit on the way back from India when they're weren't so many flights there. I just had a kip on the manmade beach at Sentosa and went to the war museum. Bit of an eyeopener, that one.

I do indeed.

Chocolate Oranges, whatever-they're-called chocolate mints, shortbread - the usual.

She still buys one or two things overseas for her family but for all the giri omiyage etc, they get that lot. If it keeps her from spending her time shopping for other people on her holidays, sounds good to me.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I never buy omiyage. If I've just spent a whole lot of money on a holiday I'm not about to spend more on gifts for others!

I'm with you on that GN. I do not partake in the frivolous exchange of gifts....F##K THAT!!

It used to be ...long long ago ... when Mamabear was just a cub herself, that overseas travels were so rare and infrequent and there was no such thing as baggage limits, that the lucky ones traveling needed to bring home rare, unusual foreign treats for the people at home who would likely never get the chance to travel outside the cut lunch and a water bottle circumference.

Today we can order it on the internet.

Lots of people travel.

There are baggage weight limits that challenge peoples creativity even before they load their bags with gifts for the folks at home.

It was a part of western culture, it is much less so.

Has there been a decline in the youth carrying on the omiyage tradition in Japan of late?