itou would be it-owe or i-tow
no good.

itoo

as -> i-tow

/ɪtəʊ/

itoh
/ɪtəʊ/

same pronunciation.

How about this point, which you have yet to comment on?
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that "tow" as towing a car, and "too" are pronounced the same?

You just adapted the IPA as to how YOU want to sound what you written.

No words such as itoo, itou or itoh exist. Hence it become s a problem that I stated eailier, the inconsistency of how english is written and pronounced. It depends on that word.

You just created a bogus spelling (as much as I did) and we both dislike and disapprove how to sound it.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

You just adapted the IPA as to how YOU want to sound what you written.
No words such as itoo, itou or itoh exist. Hence it become s a problem that I stated eailier, the inconsistency of how english is written and pronounced. It depends on that word.
You just created a bogus spelling (as much as I did) and we both dislike and disapprove how to sound it.

how about this point you have yet to comment on.
If you want to play, don't change you own game.
Originally Posted By: boardbaka
RobBright some of your comments are making you sound like a bit of a tool imho

Good.

Thanks for that useful insight which most people know anyway. wink

Yes, they can be, depending on what language we are using. If tow is English, which you wrote, and too is the Japanese pronunciation for to-o .
Quote:

Yes, they can be, depending on what language we are using. If tow is English, which you wrote, and too is the Japanese pronunciation for to-o .

Oh, so if you are a qualified lingusist, you are allowed to change and mix the parameter for your own convenience.
I suppose you think that a non-japanese speaking foreigner understands how japanese is pronounced. I thought we were trying to clarify that originally.
Very consistant and scientific of you. lol

itoo would be it-oo or i-too
itou would be it-owe or i-tow
no good.

I haven't mixed and changed it.

itoo

as -> i-tow /ɪtəʊ/

itoh
/ɪtəʊ/

You were the person who claimed itoo or itou would not be acceptable, as it would be said like i-tow. I used IPA symbols to show that itoo could be pronounced the same way as in Japanese.

Yet the link that you provided to the wiki, states that itoo in the modified Hepburn system is perfectly acceptable.

In fact, I am gonna leave this "discussion" now as clearly neither of us are going to get anywhere, even though what you have quoted has gone against what you have said.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Did the Koreans remove a lot of kanji from there "alphabet"?

BTW - We had two Korean girls only 11 years old homestay with us this summer, they could speak very good English and a little Japanese!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Stemik - what is 'homestay'?
Is it like a school student exchange program?

yes, the kids from here go to Korea for a few days and vice versa. Rather than stay at a hotel they stay at someones home.

Ahh.. ta.

We do a similar exchange with the language students at our kids school.

One year the Yr9 and Yr10 students at our school go, the next year we receive - I have had 3 Japanese boys stay with us over the years so far.

It is always fun as we go and do the quintessential "Aussie" tourist stuff (patting kangaroo's, koala's etc) when they come to stay - stuff we normally take for granted.

It is impressive that an 11yr old has 3 languages on the go already!

There's no doubting that the Japanese writing system is one of the most difficult to learn of any in the world. Is there any other that would have 3 completely different writing styles that can all be used in the one sentence?

The Japanese themselves spend many, many years learning Kanji. For those of us with lives razz the idea of learning 1000's of Kanji characters is a truly mammoth task that would mean sacrificing a lot of our spare time for years. Fine if your into that sort of thing I guess but I for one have a lot of the other things I'd prefer to do in my very limited spare time.

The writing system here is without doubt a huge barrier in allowing foreigners to more easily intergrate. Well it's not like the Japanese really want any of us here anyway though is it? wink