Originally Posted By: Jynxx

Rob, read å¤äº‹è¨˜ and go figure, or talk to a linguist as you wish.

Go figure what? who would have thought?

While manyo-kana, or Man'yÅshÅ«, is the earliest form of Japanese, and yes does contain poems and stories from a previous time, perhaps retailed from person to person, how does this illlustrate that there was a written form before 7ad?
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean 4AD.

but HUH? what are you talking about?

Haven't we already explained that the history is distorted, and there are reasons for that distortion?

There are plenty of examples from modern days. Chinese @Tibet. Taliban @Afganistan, etc.

I said read that content from å¤äº‹è¨˜ and discover for yourself rather than getting an instant noodle answer from someone you like to mock.

Oyaji, if you are reading it straight from å¤æ–‡, it's damn difficult. It needs at least Japanese high school level.

But plenty of books translated in modern day japanese, which reading it along with that translation, the experience will help you get the "feel" "tone" and improve your own japanese. - provided you are at that level.

It's like, you can talk about music all you like but that doesn't make you a musician and play music.

I hope one day the puzzle fall in its place.

Haven't we already explained that the history is distorted, and there are reasons for that distortion?

Yes, you mentioned that, but never explained why Japan would supposedly destroy it's writing form, yet there is no record of Japan doing that is there? 7ad? oops, yeah 4ad, damn key pad. :s
Originally Posted By: RobBright

Yes, you mentioned that, but never explained why Japan would supposedly destroy it's writing form, yet there is no record of Japan doing that is there? 7ad? oops, yeah 4ad, damn key pad. :s

Since you seem to be such the linguist, why dont you make that your PhD research? I doubt many people have tackled it!
Oyaji, if you are reading it straight from å¤æ–‡, it's damn difficult.

Hah, I'm not that hardcore!

Quote:
It needs at least Japanese high school level.
But plenty of books translated in modern day japanese, which reading it along with that translation, the experience will help you get the "feel" "tone" and improve your own japanese. - provided you are at that level.

It's like, you can talk about music all you like but that doesn't make you a musician and play music.
I hope one day the puzzle fall in its place.

Started in today (again) on a translation into modern Japanese, which is aimed at high-schoolers. Ripping yarn! Don't know why it didn't seem interesting before; probably spent too much time just trying to parse the words before.
yeah, when it starts with a vivid description of gods having sex ...

That was cute. Felt sorry for Hiruko and Awashima, though I gather that Hiruko was eventually rescued and grew up to become Ebisu. But what about poor Awashima? (Or maybe he became the Eurasian continent or something?)

Oyaji,

It's a weird tale, isn't it? Really makes you think if there's any structure, morale, meaning behind it.

Lot's of people have obsessed, made it there life work, and when these people happen to be academics, the Kojiki "status" got elevated to something great in Japanese literature.

Probably, because it is the oldest remaining written tale.

When you read it, it reads like fragments glued together, oral story of low intellect ...

The thing gets confusing due to so many names, they are supposed to be gods. These gods die. That itself makes people question, do gods die? If they do, they can't be god.

I think the whole thing got elevated to an academic argument, when there is nothing to suggest anything academic about god, especially japanese gods. So, I suggest taking liberty of imagination and symbolism of somewhat "animalistic - perhaps japanese-shamanistic" mindset of the people then. Example: Gods independenty appearing from nothing and bearing gods - this part is like the creation story. They are symbols of heaven, earth, meteorites striking and seeding the planet, growth energy, the muddy soup of life, cloud that gives the rain, etc ... They are just given the names of gods. I can understand that life, all things living, are indeed gods in essence so they are given godlike names.

The ritual of going around the "pillar" by Izanami+Izanagi,(the pillar is created by the supreme god and the pair is the last creation and descends from heaven to earth and gets married), before sex, and the calling out (Words have power !) by a woman first was not to their satisfaction because their offspring from that union was not complete. They consult the supreme god and is suggested that the man makes the call (court) first, and all is well.

This is an interesting bit for me - bit like a "may pole" thing. Fertility rite. Also, Setting down rules of courtship.

The incomplete offspring is casted off on a reed boat. sounds familiar ...

Fundamentally, we think of god as something complete, but in this section, the gods declare themselves that "I have an area that is incomplete and erect/missing" and the admission of the fact is very refreshing IMHO.

Anyways, I can keep going, but I don't want to spoil your own inspiration so I stop. Stay loose, Oyaji.