Hopefully this kind of thing might stop.

Some of the packaging on things is just beyond ridiculous.

Quote:
Sainsbury's taken to court over 'excessive' packaging of beef joint

In landmark case, Linconshire council claims supermarket's plastic wrapping is damaging to the enviroment

A council has launched a landmark legal case against the supermarket giant Sainsbury's for using too much packaging on a fresh joint of beef.

Lincolnshire council's trading standards claim "excessive" wrapping around the meat is damaging to the environment. The case is believed to be the first time a major supermarket has been prosecuted for failing to stay within acceptable levels of packaging.

Trading standards allege that Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Slow Matured Ultimate Beef Roasting Joint, retailing for £11.99/kg, is overpackaged.

Peter Heafield, head of trading standards at Lincolnshire council, said it is pursuing the case because overpackaging is harmful to the environment. The £11.99/kg luxury joint is vacuum-packed in plastic then further packaged inside a 20cm by 15cm Apet plastic tray. Covered with a plastic lid, it is 10cm tall and is wrapped around with a printed cardboard sleeve. A court hearing is due to take place on 13 October, an official at Lincoln magistrates court confirmed.

Sainsbury's said it was surprised by the comments, "which do not reflect the very positive outcome of our meeting with Lincolnshire's packaging team. In fact, we have been informed the council, in light of that meeting, is currently looking again at whether it will proceed".

Simeon Goldstein, editor of the trade magazine Packaging News, said he believed this to be the first packaging prosecution of its kind.

Someone gave me a box of chocolates a while back.

Each small chocolate (about 1cm cubed) was wapped in a double wrapping thing. Each one was placed in a plastic tray to keep them in place. There was a wrapping around the tray. And then there was the cardboard box. With a lid. 12 of those tiny chocolates inside that lot.

I should have taken a picture. Can't remember the name but they were nothing special. Apart from the packaging.

Someone should take my nana to court for excessive packaging.

She sent a care package the other day that was packaged like so

packing tape holding down a address label, then brown paper, then extensive packing tape on a white cardboard parcel box making sure not a single entry point was available into said package

Inside everything was wrapped in bubble wrap. 1 layer for soft things like lollies, two layers for things like soaps.

I should say Japan is one of the most resource wasting countries in the world, when it comes to packaging.

Many things here are double and even tripple wrapped.

A few weeks a go I bought a swiss roll from one of the combinis, forget which one, family mart I think it was.

Anyway I went to unwrap it, then after taking one layer of plastic off there was another layer of plastic just the same as the outside one, what a waste!!

Japanese packaging is great!

You get all the tins from bikkies and sembei, don't ever have to pay for it at the shops.

Nice paper carry bags. No need to buy bags, I carried all my schools books and stuff under my arm.

Point of recycling is that the product can be returned to either the original use OR an alternative without having to manufacture the new use from virgin materials. Supposedly, this reduces the impact of the manufacturing process.

I'm so not sure about some products. I DO know that clear glass can be (and is mostly) recycled into green glassware on the first trip. The next trip that green glass can be made into brown glass (but NOT into clear again) with a minimal amount of virgin materials being required. It still takes a huge amount of heating effort to melt the stuff, though.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I really wonder why they don't make glass products like Jam and honey jars that can be use as a building material. Like glass bricks.
People have made house and walls out of glass bottles.

People Who Live In Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones